Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DugSWRLgan

Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

477 posts in this topic

lloyd is a brilliant club man, but as a stand off he is sadly lacking,i have watched him now for 2 years and he has turned in some great performances at hooker for widnes,

Wales World Cup Shirts:

I've spoken to Dave Larder, the local representative for Raging Bull. He was very helpful and followed up my query about the availability of replica Wales RL World Cup shirts  in Yorkshire.

However, he has confirmed that, if you want to buy a Wales shirt before the Opening ceremony, it's either via the internet or in a shop in Cardiff.

However, Raging Bull will be selling the shirts at each match-day venue .... via the official merchandise shop at the Millennium and via a company caravan at each of Neath and Wrexham.

Not confirmed but thought to be DW Sports.

0844 372 5354

I'm going to get one at the ground on the day.

Still indicates the rubbish oversight by RLWC

WRL urge fans to attend the Brewhouse in Cardiff on October 26th to make the opening game against Italy a truly memorable weekend.

Situated a few hundreds yards from the Millennium Stadium on Mary Street in Cardiff, the Brewhouse will prove to be an ideal meeting place pre and post game for all the Welsh fans or indeed the wider rugby league family.

The Brewhouse have recently agreed to a new partnership with Wales Rugby League which will see the spacious modern bar offer some fantastic deals to those attending the game. Open from 8am to 2am on the day of the Wales v Italy game these great deals include the following:

• A free refreshment for those over 18 with a matchday ticket and whilst stocks last.

• 25% off all food on October 25th, 26th and 27th for those with a matchday ticket.  Nb. Food is served daily and well into the night from an extensive menu.

• All day breakfast on Saturday and Sunday for £4.95 with a matchday ticket.

• A chance to purchase the new Wales Rugby League jersey from a bespoke Raging Bull stall

Even for those without tickets the Brewhouse will prove to be an ideal meeting place as all the World Cup games will be screened live across the bar and surrounding this extravaganza live music will be played on stage throughout the day. Brother Steve will be headlining in the evening and you never know a couple of Wales Rugby League current and past players may present themselves after the game for a quick Q&A!

Go to www.Brewhousecardiff.com for more information or visit the Brewhouse, 49 Mary Street, Brewery Quarter, Cardiff, CF101AD when next in Cardiff. The opening weekend of the Rugby League World Cup 2013 in Cardiff will be one to remember and the Brewhouse will now add great value to that experience. We’ll see you there! 

i am for the first time really considering switching my allegiance to the red dragon, from england.

Here's a video with a few interviews from the Crusaders players involved in the Wales v Wales select game in the week.

Christian Roets' accent is mega... :) Great little video by the way.

I see Wales BBC is once again doing very little to promote the opening. Last nights sport programme never mentioned the event until at the closing saying next Friday at 9pm would be going behind the scenes to cover Wales RL.

Scotland U18 0 Wales u18 30 at Whitecraigs this afternoon.

5 of the Wales Academy based at Maesteg played up a year in this game - three scoring tries.

Regan Grace (T)

Ben Jones (T)

Dan Maiden

Jordan Thomas

Zak Williams (T)

Thanks very much it was a bit rushed but it does the job.

To be fair the BBC are doing a piece this week although it may be a bit too late to get tickets sold in Wales.

Anyway here's another video for you all.

I see Wales BBC is once again doing very little to promote the opening. Last nights sport programme never mentioned the event until at the closing saying next Friday at 9pm would be going behind the scenes to cover Wales RL.

I have been corresponding with BBC Wales regarding their coverage of RL in Wales.  They don't even read out results for NW Crusaders and SW Scorpions let alone have a report on the games.  They reply that they are 'committed to rugby league in Wales' and quote the BBC coverage of the world cup - even though Wales RL will only have one game broadcast live. The appearance is that they are deliberately ignoring rugby league and its difficult to believe anything to the contrary.

I have been corresponding with BBC Wales regarding their coverage of RL in Wales.  They don't even read out results for NW Crusaders and SW Scorpions let alone have a report on the games.  They reply that they are 'committed to rugby league in Wales' and quote the BBC coverage of the world cup - even though Wales RL will only have one game broadcast live. The appearance is that they are deliberately ignoring rugby league and its difficult to believe anything to the contrary.

Effem. Try HTV.

Wales prop Jordan James has agreed a two-year deal to play in Championship One with Gloucestershire All Golds.

The 33-year-old has spent much of his 10-year career in Super League with Wigan, Castleford, Widnes and Salford.

James turned down a new contract with the Red Devils to join the University of Gloucestershire side, and will also work as a part-time coach with Wigan.

"He's a great leader and great man," All Golds president Lionel Hurst told BBC Gloucestershire.

"Jordan will join Wigan as part of their coaching staff and move to live in South Wales, to also coach the Wales Under-16s and at Maesteg college.

"He had lots of offers to play in the north of England but we are very ambitious, so why wouldn't he want to come here?"

Bath-born James started his playing career in Gloucester, playing as an amateur for Gloucestershire Warriors while serving as a Royal Marine.

He is now is just four appearances away from becoming the most capped Wales international of all time, and has been named in the squad for the forthcoming World Cup, which starts on Saturday with a double-header at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

All Golds head coach Brad Hepi added: "Jordan brings with him a wealth of experience from Super League, and he's a tough, seasoned performer.

"That is exactly what we were lacking last year. Jordan is the sort of player you can build your squad around. He brings the brains, experience and toughness that you need to compete at this level.

"It's a massive signing for us, and it is a signal of intent to the Rugby League world just how serious we are taking the game down here."

Gloucestershire All Golds finished bottom of the Championship One standings this year - their first season in the third tier - with two wins from 18 games.

Wales RL coach Iestyn Harris flattered by Cardiff Blues link

Wales rugby league coach Iestyn Harris says he is flattered to be linked with the role of backs coach at Cardiff Blues.

The Blues are looking to replace for Gareth Baber, who leaves at the end of the year.

Harris has been mentioned as a successor but the ex-Blues player says he is focused on the World Cup.

"It's pleasing to be linked but at this stage the World Cup is my priority," Harris said.

"What I'm concentrating on is the World Cup and we've spent a lot of time planning for the World Cup.

"It's important for me we prepare the team correctly and that's what we're doing.

"Any outside influence and any outside speculation is irrelevant to me at this stage."

Wales face Italy in their opening game of the Rugby League World Cup at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

Great Britain and Wales rugby league international Harris switched codes to union in 2001 and spent three years in Wales playing for Cardiff, Cardiff Blues and the national side.

Harris won 24 caps for Wales' rugby union side and played at the 2003 Rugby World Cup before returning to rugby league in 2004.

After retiring from a playing career which took in spells with Warrington, Leeds Rhinos and Bradford Bulls, Harris switched to coaching and was in charge of Crusaders in Super League.

As well as being Wales' head coach, Harris is assistant coach at Wigan Warriors and is pleased with how his coaching career is progressing.

"As you progress through the coaching years and as you improve yourself you inevitably will get linked with certain jobs," Harris added.

"Hopefully my progression is heading in the right direction, which I believe it is."

The Rugby League World Cup opening game is now less than a week away, with Wales going up against Italy after the Opening Ceremony and England v Australia next Saturday.

Tickets for the match are still available at http://www.rlwc2013.com from as little as £20 for an adult – for your chance to come down to the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and witness hopefully two Crusaders players on the pitch against the Italians.

Transport to the game is available from the North Wales Crusaders Supporters Club for just £20 which is about a third of the cost of a return train ticket. The bus leaves The Turf pub at 8.30am on Saturday and will be staying for both games.

To book the bus please visit the Glyndwr University Sports Centre. For further information please visit the Supports Club facebook page or email crusadersrls@yahoo.co.uk

Do you by any chance know if the Cardiff East  Park and Ride - M48 Junction 30 will be operating on Saturday?

Anyone planning to meet up at the Brewhouse?

Iestyn Harris boosted by the addition of Tyson Frizell to his World Cup squad.

The St George Illawarra forward has been struggling with injury but has now joined up with the party, which is now up to its full compliment of 24 players after a space was left open for Frizell.

"Tyson arrived last night (Sunday) and he's been declared fit and healthy. He'll train with the team tomorrow," said Harris.

"Whether he's in a position to be vying for a starting position in the first game (against Italy on Saturday), we'll have to see. But Tyson is very committed to Wales and has been for a while. He's excited about this World Cup.

"He hasn't done any competitive training for the last three or four weeks so we'll have to see how he is."

The availability of Frizell, who made his international debut during the 2011 Four Nations Series, is a huge boost to Wales' chances of emerging from group D to make the quarter-finals.

Huddersfield prop Larne Patrick looks set to make his Wales debut alongside his club-mate Craig Kopczak, who is Wales captain.

Wigan regulars Gil Dudson and Ben Flower are also included and Harris is confident his forwards will be competitive when they face group opponents United States and Cook Islands.

"We've certainly got a pack that is capable of laying a good platform for us and that will be the emphasis for us," he added.

"We had eight days of a pre-tournament camp which was crucial to us so this week we've hit the ground running and everybody is excited and optimistic about the opportunity in front of them.

"The crucial thing for us is to get out of the group. We've got three difficult opponents. When you get through your group, then it's knockout football and that's where you want to be. When you are there, anything can happen.

"The challenge for us is to try and get our performances up to a very high standard over the first three games.

"The most difficult game is your first game and we're coming up against a team that has just beaten England so we're playing a side that has got good talent and a lot of confidence. That's a dangerous combination."

Harris was among the crowd at Salford on Saturday to witness qualifiers Italy pull off a shock 15-14 win over England.

"I'd say the result was a surprise - I expected England to be very strong and to dominate as the game progressed - but the performance wasn't a shock when you look at the quality and experience in that group," he said.

"We expected a lot from the Italians. I thought they were very dogged and competed extremely well.

"Our first two games are against two teams that have just beaten England and France so there's a big challenge in front of us."

Get Behind Wales this autumn and get up close and personal with the squad by sponsoring a player. Each squad member is available for £125 for the tournament with all valuable funds going to Wales' campaign for success.

You recieve...

• Invite to the private after match reception in either Wrexham or Cardiff
  • A player issue training top
  • Two free tickets to Wales v USA
  • Signed squad photo
  • Recognition on WRL social media and the official website

For further information please email sponsorship@walesrugbyleague.co.uk or call 08432 896407 and speak to Hanna Clarke or Toby Adamson.

North Wales Crusaders are delighted to announce their first two new signings for 2014 in Craig and Karl Ashall from Championship rivals Halifax.

The brothers both have a wealth of experience playing at Championship level and they join the host of players who have already re-signed with the club on the squad list for next season.

Chief Executive Jamie Thomas said: “Clearly both players have a wealth of experience at this level and they are a major coup for the club.

“It’s great that these two are the first players that we’ve signed for next season – they both have quality.

“The recruitment side of things is continuing behind the scenes and we’ll only be looking to add further players of Karl and Craig’s quality.”

Hooker Craig Ashall, the eldest of the two brothers, said: “I’m really looking forward to it – it’ll be a good challenge for me.

“Clive and John are looking to do well next year – not just to survive in the league but to do well in it – so it should be good to be involved in.”

After two years with one of the Championship’s leading sides in Halifax, Ashall knows that Crusaders are entering a tough league, but it is one which he feels they can more than compete in.

He said: “It’s a tough league for sure; you’ve got some really good sides in there and a lot of good former Super League players who have moved down.

“I think it’s realistic for us not only to aim to survive in the league, but to do well in it and aim towards the play-offs.

“Certaily a good, tough pre-season with some real hard work will help us.

“You’ve got your Workington’s, Barrow’s, Whitehaven’s, Swinton’s, Keighley’s – and you’ll be looking to win a lot of those kind of games.

“When you play your top sides in the division, you need to look at where you are and try to test yourselves against the best.”

Wales captain Craig Kopzcak will lead his side out at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday for the start of the Rugby League World Cup – admitting he has tried to put it to the back of his mind.

Cross-code great Iestyn Harris, the Wales coach, gave the Huddersfield Giants star the armband over a year ago and since then Kopzcak has made the role his own.

“Iestyn took me aside before the autumn internationals last year and said he wanted me to be captain, I was absolutely over the moon,” said the 26-year-old.

“At the time I didn’t think that means I’ll be leading the boys out for the World Cup opener, I just got on with my job.

“But now it’s less than a week before the start of the tournament I’ve finally allowed myself to think about it – and there’s no doubt it will be the proudest moment of my career to date.”

Wales begin their World Cup campaign against an Italian side littered with National Rugby League stars – the Australia league which many argue is the toughest competition in the world.

While Kopzcak is certainly wary of the threat Italy – who shocked England to beat them 15-14 in a pre-World Cup friendly last weekend – pose he’s convinced his team have the firepower to start their World Cup campaign with a win.

“They are a bit of an unknown quantity,” said Kopzcak.

“They’ve got a lot of quality players but I don’t think they’ve played together that much.

“But there’s absolutely no way we will be underestimating them because of that.

“Our preparation under Iestyn has been so focused, so intense, the boys are just desperate to get going now.

“Iestyn is a winner, he has that winning mentality and he’s installing that in all of us.

“It’s giving us confidence that not only we can beat Italy and go on and win our group but that somewhere along the line we can cause a real upset.

“When I look around the squad there is some serious talent here and we all believe we can do some damage in this tournament.”

All being well Wales could meet co-hosts England in the quarter-finals at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham.

It’s a potentially mouth-watering tie but Kopzcak refuses to look too far ahead.

“It’s the old cliché we are taking each game at a time but it’s true.

“Of course I’ve thought about us qualifying from our group and the prospect of playing England.

“But there is so much rugby to be played between the first match and the quarter-finals.

“During the Super League season there was a bit of banter between some of the Welsh and English boys but that’s stopped now.

“Everyone is focusing on their own game and who their next opponents are.”

Wales Rugby League fans are being urged to get the new Welsh Jersey now and create a sea of red at the Millennium Stadium.

Demand has been so high for the new jersey our fantastic kit supplier Raging Bull have been working hard to ensure you have every opportunity to purchase the jersey in time for the game.

Should you be going to Cardiff this weekend the new Wales Rugby League shirt will be available in the following outlets:

-          In the Millennium Stadium at the official stalls

-          House of Fraser, Cardiff

-          Rugby Shop, Cardiff (opposite the castle)

-          Brewhouse, Mary Street, Cardiff (the official WRL meeting place for fans)

DW Sports will also be stocking the jersey at various outlets throughout Wales.

Buy the shirt online before Wednesday and you will be able to receive the jersey in time for the game. Buy online by clicking here.

Wales begin their 2013 Rugby League World Cup campaign on Saturday 26th October 2013 against Italy at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. Kick off 4.30pm. Tickets are still available for the game and the price includes the opening ceremony and the England v Australia game.

What a day, what a game, what excitement!