Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Salfords New owner making friends

chuffer    960

Someone tries to sign someone shocker.......if you don't ask you don't get, if I was a Salford fan I'd be hoping Dr Koukash waves hios fat wad in every direction possible over the next few months

Pottsy    111

To be fair, Pottsy, I think we were not unhappy to sell Matty as we needed the money and six months later, we'd've got nowt.

(Speaking from the club's pov, not the fans)

Hmmm, according to John Wilkinson MS was tapped up by a member of the England coaching staff whilst in camp for the Exiles game.

I don't know. What i do know is that some players have it written in their contracts that they can leave a club if they receive a better offer from another club.

Or maybe the new Mr, Salford was willing to pay a transfer fee,i remember them

flyingking    542

What is the problem with the owner of a professional sports club in doing the very thing that he is supposed to be doing, which is investing in fielding the most competitive team with the aim of winning matches and ultimately trophies? Every statement that Dr Koukash has made shows that he wants that winning mentality to be associated with Salford. In order to get to that destination he has two choices. He can fund an academy with a network of scouts to unearth raw talent and use the best coaching to develop those players into world-beaters. Dr Koukash probably does not want to wait 5-10 years to see the fruits of that policy, so he is left with approaching the clubs of quality players to see if they would be willing to enter into transfer negotiations. That is the nature of sport and there is nothing wrong with that so long as the correct processes are followed.

tonyXIII    770

Hmmm, according to John Wilkinson MS was tapped up by a member of the England coaching staff whilst in camp for the Exiles game.

Didn't know that, Pottsy. I know it sounds bad - "tapped up" - but don't you think that sort of thing happens all the time? "You ever thought of playing for us, mate? We've got a great set-up." Over a drink in the bar, it doesn't seem unreasonable. It could even be the other way round. "How are you lot fixed for half-backs?" "Joe Bloggs is off at the end of the season, there could be a space. Why? Are you interested?"

If it was genuinely a case of 'tapping up', ("You're a good half-back. Why don't you you leave that sinking ship and join us?") then it was wrong. But it would be impossible to prove.

Still, thanks for your input. As I said, I wasn't aware of that.

Pottsy    111

Didn't know that, Pottsy. I know it sounds bad - "tapped up" - but don't you think that sort of thing happens all the time? "You ever thought of playing for us, mate? We've got a great set-up." Over a drink in the bar, it doesn't seem unreasonable. It could even be the other way round. "How are you lot fixed for half-backs?" "Joe Bloggs is off at the end of the season, there could be a space. Why? Are you interested?"

If it was genuinely a case of 'tapping up', ("You're a good half-back. Why don't you you leave that sinking ship and join us?") then it was wrong. But it would be impossible to prove.

Still, thanks for your input. As I said, I wasn't aware of that.

JW apparently made the claim at the Save Our Salford meeting at PE Pendleton Church. He also apparently made similar claims about Holdsworth being unsettled by the residents of "Ramsey Street" before his move to Hull.

tonyXIII    770

JW apparently made the claim at the Save Our Salford meeting at PE Pendleton Church. He also apparently made similar claims about Holdsworth being unsettled by the residents of "Ramsey Street" before his move to Hull.

I guess that, when you're down, there's a queue of people waiting to stick the boot in. :(

Happier times ahead, I hope. :)

cookey    238

Absolutely no problem with Salford or Mr Koukash - patience and hard work is required by all concerned.

Personally,I'd rather they sign 2/3 good,solid players,rather than one stand out player,who could always get injured in his first game,but that is just my opinion.

Dave T    5,130

We keep hearing of all these 'tapped up' players at Salford.

Myler

Ratchford

Smith

Moon etc

perhaps these things are put into the public domain by the past regime to cover their inadequecies and keep the fans off their back.

Phil    1,279

First Morley, now Chase and Emmit

I really don't like the "I've loads of money so come and join us approach"

Not really endearing himself to others is he?

Hi job is to do the best he can for Salford not be mr popular.

Red Willow    208

Ratchford and Smith were both off contract at the end of that season, the only question would be whether the approach came a little early. Myler, Moon& Holdsorth all still in the middle of contracts with more than 12 months to run. Myler appearing at the Challenge cup final with Warrington annoyed Salford fans.Then we had the Robinson and Huddersfield situation when he appeared in a Giants shirt prior to Salford actually being relegated, again he was still under contract. Maybe explains why Salford fans feel a little hard done by, especially when it appears Bradford were a no go one.

Saintslass    1,300

Koukash has now approached Wigan for Sam Tomkins. I'm loving this Koukash fella. He's doing exactly the right thing: getting Salford in the news at every opportunity and letting everyone know he means business.

Steve May    158

It's not going to happen, but if they did sign Tomkins they'd just become a poor side with a great, and frustrated, player. Not that much better.

My feeling is that this new chap risks burning through a lot of money very quickly to little effect other than damaging his own credibility. He'd be better to concentrate on building up the basics over a few years.

Salford need a good, solid core of players who can reliably get them to seventh or eighth much more urgently than they need a flash Harry fullback.

shrek    614

It's not going to happen, but if they did sign Tomkins they'd just become a poor side with a great, and frustrated, player. Not that much better.

Agreed, whatever he's on at Wigan its probably safe to assume he eats up a good chunk of the salary cap, so any offer from Salford will have to beat that, but also beat potential offers from the NRL and Union, just can't see how you could put together a tempting enough offer and have anything like the sort of money left on the cap you'd need to make Salford competitive 1-17 so to speak.

Nice PR, but you can only do it so often without signing someone before you lose credability.

TheDuke    83

i think the signing of a first rate coach helps to attract players too, Vievers has done ok with limited resources but Noble would be a better choice

Maybe there are more Zak Hardakers out there somewhere in the lower leagues

Viking Warrior    257

like richie myler was tapped up by salford before his move from widnes! i was at an under 18's game at the stobby and surprise surprise there was also a delegation from salford sat near me specifically to watch young richie.............

Red Willow    208

Myler was a free agent after Widnes went bump. A shame for Widnes but their future was uncertain at the time.

Watching a player is a little different than tapping them up.

We all realise it happens I just hope Salford finally have something to offer players and they stay.

MrPosh    646

like richie myler was tapped up by salford before his move from widnes! i was at an under 18's game at the stobby and surprise surprise there was also a delegation from salford sat near me specifically to watch young richie.............

Are you suggesting that clubs shouldn't scout players?

cookey    238

I'm certainly not going to be critical of him,because he did all in rugby league a favour by saving Salford,but I tend to agree,I'd rather he built slowly with solid players,rather than going for the big splash.Hopefully we was encouraged by last night and is receiving some sensible,long term advice.