Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Salfords New owner making friends

241 posts in this topic

So where will Dr Koukash and Graham Lowe get their top quality players from?

I do wonder, if with a keen eye for potential and a big enough offer to make them switch to being full time if you couldn't assemble a top 8 squad with players plucked out of the Championship.

The most important thing is they re-start their U age teams. That, long term, will be their best bet for bringing good players to their club is to sign them young. Quality youngsters with quality coaches.

I read an interesting article with Lowe online in which he stated that they are going to be working with Oldham to try and get them promoted so that their young players have stiffer competition to play against under the dual registration system introduced this season (it would be ironic if that was the outcome and then the under 20s were reinstated next year!). I do think the club is thinking everything through - that's the impression I'm getting from the interviews and such like I am reading - and revising everything the club has previously done, from the matchday programme (which has been totally revamped) to recruitment policy to developing revenue streams outside the matchday experience.

I do wonder, if with a keen eye for potential and a big enough offer to make them switch to being full time if you couldn't assemble a top 8 squad with players plucked out of the Championship.

(Using journalistic licence)

1. Lalu-Togagye

2. Lineham

3. Yere

4. Hardaker

5. Johnson

6. Finn

7. Brough

8. Hill

9. Penkywicz

10. Walmsley

11. Davies

12. Bracek

13. Murrell

Not a bad starter for 13... :D

Manchester - the UK's second most important city and home of BBC Sport.

You don't even need to ask the question, surely?

I don't remember you classing Huyton as strategically important what with being Liverpool, or Sheffield being strategically important?

If anyone loves their RL round Manchester way it ain't far to Warrington or Wigan.

If Salford had died, the whole of Manchester megapolis would have been lost to RL

So nobody in Manchester or Salford would play RL or go pay to watch it.

Why is it Soccer fans have cars, buses, coaches and trains they all get on to go watch their favoured clubs yet all RL fans apparently sit inside their city boundaries??

I can tell you now nobody from Manchester watches Wigan ;)

There are probably 99% of clubs who have supporters who dont live in the town/city of the club they support.Thats a bit of a bold statement Mr P. :)

There are probably 99% of clubs who have supporters who dont live in the town/city of the club they support.Thats a bit of a bold statement Mr P. :)

BRK is used to the sarcasm on this point. I do apologise for misleading you.

For a long time on this board fans have argued that if any club dies in an area the game will die with it and fans will go watch soccer. I was told if HKR went east Hull would become exclusively soccer

Then there's the arguments I've heard that nobody from Keighley or Halifax watches Bradford.Nobody from Leigh watches Wigan.

However those without an axe to grind do freely agree with you that people come from all over to watch clubs

An old time Cas fan admitted he knew a lot of Cas fans but none were from Castleford.

When Wigan are at home the trains fromManchester and the M60 has fans going to the game on the rail/roadways.

Fans of small clubs who see SL clubs attracting the bulk of the support need arguments against this which is understandable.....

I think Morley is the signing they needed to make when they moved Ito the new ground. Still don't think it's too late he may not be the same player on the pitch but would have a good affect on fans identifying with the relocated club. After him they could go in for the long haul and improve slightly each year. Don't think this is the Dr s style so I expect a few more enquiries before the seasons out.

An old time Cas fan admitted he knew a lot of Cas fans but none were from Castleford.

Incidentally, of your 13,500+ posts how many reference this one comment?!

the problem is for salford sunday's gate of 1900 proved that no-one in the city wants to watch the club................

Is it a major strategic club?

Unlike Bradford the RFL/SLE appeared ready to let it go not so long ago.

Major strategic clubs have been Paris, London and South Wales.

In "Lancashire" Wigan, Wire and Saints are the three top clubs who appeal across the old county.

Widnes are struggling to find a team and a crowd even with Mr. O'Connor.

Dr. Koukash and Salford are in the same boat. The good doctor knows what he has to offer Superleague and it isn't a club on crowds of 2,000 with a junior infrastructure of a few clubs.

It's pots of cash so he announces what he has to offer by bidding for the games biggest name.

Come 2015 quite a number of SL applicants will have little to offer Superleague and after the usual half dozen automatically collect their new licenses the rest will really be bidding by showing the RFL how far their wallets will open.

kevin brown gareth hock?? oh and a membership of around 5000 already this season. stop talking twaddle parky, hope you come to widnes next week when we play bratfut to witness first hand our support..........................just ask any salford fan who was at the SoCS last season and saw the viking invasion!!

Sure i saw something on twitter this morning linking Salford with Jamie Soward and Todd Carney. I think any big name they sign will come from Down Under.. and be supplemented by good established, but not neccessarily superstar, super league players

todd carney will never get a visa to play over here, huddersfield had him in the bag and because of his off field misdemeanours his visa application was knocked bak, shame as i rate him as one of the best in the world.......there's no real harm in trying to get the big names we went for darren lockyer arguably the biggest name of the past 30 years, and now we have signed two top quality players in brown and hock with danny tickle coming in for next season as well. good luck reds everyone laughed widnes off but they are starting to take notice of our intentions now.............

BRK is used to the sarcasm on this point. I do apologise for misleading you.

For a long time on this board fans have argued that if any club dies in an area the game will die with it and fans will go watch soccer. I was told if HKR went east Hull would become exclusively soccer

Then there's the arguments I've heard that nobody from Keighley or Halifax watches Bradford.Nobody from Leigh watches Wigan.

However those without an axe to grind do freely agree with you that people come from all over to watch clubs

When Wigan are at home the trains fromManchester and the M60 has fans going to the game on the rail/roadways.

Fans of small clubs who see SL clubs attracting the bulk of the support need arguments against this which is understandable.....

I don't think it's wrong to say that teams attract supporters from other areas than their own. However, I think that the vast majority of supporters come from the area in which the team is situated.

If Manchester United moved to a 100,000 all seater stadium in Inverness, I don't think they would fill it with travelling supporters. When MK dons moved to Milton keyes did all the old Wimbldon supporters follow them to their new home. When saints went to Widnes for a season whlist Langtree Park was being built, their attendances halved and Widnes is very close to St Helens.

I think you are mistaken in your theory on this point.

I think that the vast majority of supporters come from the area in which the team is situated.

I think you are mistaken in your theory on this point.

I think some do some don't. You go further "vast" majority - evidence please?

I think some do some don't. You go further "vast" majority - evidence please?

If a majority of Saints supporters were out of towners from far afield, the move to Widnes would not have resulted in the dramatic drop in attendance that it did.

If a majority of Saints supporters were out of towners from far afield, the move to Widnes would not have resulted in the dramatic drop in attendance that it did.

Is that evidence, logic, reasoning or a statement I find hard to understand.

Read the Viking Warrior story. Saints lad through and through, Widnes fanatic.

Is that evidence, logic, reasoning or a statement I find hard to understand.

Read the Viking Warrior story. Saints lad through and through, Widnes fanatic.

I read it and I agreed from the first paragraph of my post that some people do travel from outside a clubs area to support it, so Viking Warrior is one of those. I do not think Viking warrior is representative of most Widnes fans.

I think Morley is the signing they needed to make when they moved Ito the new ground. Still don't think it's too late he may not be the same player on the pitch but would have a good affect on fans identifying with the relocated club. After him they could go in for the long haul and improve slightly each year. Don't think this is the Dr s style so I expect a few more enquiries before the seasons out.

Adrian is 35,and he's been a great player for Warrington and every other club he has played for. If I had been the owner of Warrington, when Dr K. came calling,cheque book in hand I would have asked Adrian if he had any desire to finish his playing days at Salford. If the answer was no then he was welcome to stay at Warrington. If the answer was yes then I would have asked Dr K. to at least match the contract Adrian is on currently at Warrington. I would have then quoted the fee I was prepared to lose a player of the quality of Adrian Morley for..............£250,000 minimum..........so how serious are you Dr K? if he was serious then everyone is happy, and I then have £250,000 to buy a suitable,and probably considerably younger replacement prop forward. No room for sentiment in sport,Wigan had no problem offloading Hanley when the considered him a little past his prime and used the cash from Leeds to sign Offiah. Should Warrington have maybe looked at a deal with Dr. K?

I think he would have left it.

Fair enough...........but he doesn't get his man,doesn't make his desired statement of intent,loses credibility and is taken much less seriously by the club of the next player he targets.

I don't think Sintelliners are a good case study, it isn't the European hotspot of inbreeding for nothing. Some of the locals don't venture outside their own family never mind their town.