Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Salfords New owner making friends

241 posts in this topic

Not necessarily true though.

He could very well make the case that he made a serious bid for a player rapidly approaching the end of his career, and whilst he knew the impact the player could have, was not willing to pay 10 times as much as the player was obviously worth.

Your saying Morley is only worth £25,000???????????????? Get real!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Sintelliners are a good case study, it isn't the European hotspot of inbreeding for nothing. Some of the locals don't venture outside their own family never mind their town.

A classic!

Fair enough...........but he doesn't get his man,doesn't make his desired statement of intent,loses credibility and is taken much less seriously by the club of the next player he targets.

He'd lose far more credibility by forking out £250k for a 35 year old who's visibly not the player he was 12 months ago.

If I were Salford I might take Morley off your hands on a free transfer. Maybe.

Fair enough...........but he ....is taken much less seriously by the club of the next player he targets.

If Salford pay £250k for Morley then 6 months later when they need to sign a young prop to cover him they'll suddenly discover that the price for anyone half decent is extremely high.

They are already going to have to pay over the odds because they're now perceived as cashed up and willing to spend. The have no need to make it worse.

I don't remember you classing Huyton as strategically important what with being Liverpool, or Sheffield being strategically important?

If anyone loves their RL round Manchester way it ain't far to Warrington or Wigan.

The population of the Manchester area is more than the population of Sheffield and Merseyside combined.

Manchester has the second largest regional economy after the South East, more than two and a half times that of Merseyside and close to three times that of the whole of South Yorkshire.

It is the de facto second city of the UK, the regional capital of the North of England and a city who's name is known for sport across the World.

It has major headquarters for one of the World's largest, oldest and most respected media organisations.

And the whole thing is slap bang in the middle of the RL "heartland".

The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game, but when you add in the economy, population, the RL culture on their doorstep and the facilities they already have they have the potential to be a powerhouse in the game for decades to come.

Shall we work out what Huyton offered in comparison?

The population of the Manchester area is more than the population of Sheffield and Merseyside combined.

Manchester has the second largest regional economy after the South East, more than two and a half times that of Merseyside and close to three times that of the whole of South Yorkshire.

It is the de facto second city of the UK, the regional capital of the North of England and a city who's name is known for sport across the World.

It has major headquarters for one of the World's largest, oldest and most respected media organisations.

The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game, but when you add in the economy, population, the RL culture on their doorstep and the facilities they already have they have the potential to be a powerhouse in the game for decades to come.

You're correct in everything you say, and Salford now has an owner who I think will be the most dynamic owner in the game and who will be able to exploit all those factors you refer to.

It's funny to see how Marwan Koukash's bid for Sam Tomkins is being mocked by some people who should know better.

As a comparison, Koukash attended his first race meeting in 2007, and immediately fell in love with that sport. Five years later he has had 300 winners and last year his horse was the favourite to win the Melbourne Cup.

He has now fallen in love with Rugby League, and I don't think we should underestimate him, or believe that he is merely pursuing publicity stunts.

It's early days, but it strikes me that he's the best thing to hit Rugby League for a long time (although, having seen Boots n All last night, think Brian Barwick could run him close, if he means what he says) and I sincerely hope that he attracts other like-minded individuals to other clubs that need them.

No we shan't do that Steve, you have me in a headlock with your post and that Martyn Sadler has put the boot in so I'm just about beaten to a pulp.

But you and Mr. Sadler may overegg the pudding when you you say The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game.

As I say it's not that further from the BBC sports office to The JJB than it is to Barton where the biggest club in the game resides, who I am sure will continue to court the Sports hacks who have waxed so lyrical about Wigan over the years.

I think the clubs most important to the game are the ones who can win cups in front of 15,000 fans with quality local players born bred and developed appearing on the field.

You and Mr. Sadler need to qualify why Salford are more important than Wigan, and the closeness to the BBC sport office and the population of Manchester doesn't cut it for a reasoned guy like me :D

By heck Martyn, a big slug of optimism there.

It looks like things could get really interesting in the next two years. For all the attention given to the final challenges faced by the sport, there are some club owners in place now, with diverse experiences of business and building successful new businesses, who could really help the development of the professional game. I can't recall such a situation in RL in my lifetime. A bit like the line that millionaires are made in recessions, the foundations for the advancement and financial development of the game can be made during this time great economic difficulties.

We can help by turning up to our clubs' games and to internationals, including the World Cup, rather than finding reasons not to go.

Why should Morley be released by Wire on a free just so Koukash can have the "local boy comes home" scenario? Leeds paid over the odds for Hanley,if you want your man,you pay? Especially if your a multi millionaire? Koukash would have made a big statemment by signing a player he obviously rates highly. Tony Smith and Warrington obviously still rate him highly too,as Koukash was rebuffed immediatley. Those on here who are saying Morley isn't worth a transfer fee and only worth a free transfer and pay as you play deal are insulting the legend which is Adrian Morley.

It was highly unlikely that Cas would have let Chase go,and Tomkins would never been sold by Wigan in a million years. Wane actually burst out laughing when he heard of the move for Tomkins! Is Koukash developing an 'oh well Salford fans, i'm sorry we didn't get our man but I did try' situation here? Maybe he needs to lower his sights a little and actually make a decent signing or two before he loses credibility and his approaches are deemed no more than PR stunts to get Salford in the news every week? There are some very good ex super league players now playing in the lower leagues who could still do a good job for salford at SL level. Maybe he should get a few of those players on board first?

We can help by turning up to our clubs' games and to internationals, including the World Cup, rather than finding reasons not to go.

It would appear that as "Salford (are) the most important club in the game" we should all head to Barton and pack out the matches because the BBC will be the vehicle for a great future for the game as a whole?

Messrs May and Sadler - your thoughts?

It would appear that as "Salford (are) the most important club in the game" we should all head to Barton and pack out the matches because the BBC will be the vehicle for a great future for the game as a whole?

Parkers, some of us have been already, and more than once at that. B)

Parkers, some of us have been already, and more than once at that. B)

I've probably been to Headingley far too much and now they're not that important I ought to get across to Barton. What's the nearest train station to the ground BTW?

Why should Morley be released by Wire on a free just so Koukash can have the "local boy comes home" scenario? Leeds paid over the odds for Hanley,if you want your man,you pay? Especially if your a multi millionaire? Koukash would have made a big statemment by signing a player he obviously rates highly. Tony Smith and Warrington obviously still rate him highly too,as Koukash was rebuffed immediatley. Those on here who are saying Morley isn't worth a transfer fee and only worth a free transfer and pay as you play deal are insulting the legend which is Adrian Morley.

There are some very good ex super league players now playing in the lower leagues who could still do a good job for salford at SL level. Maybe he should get a few of those players on board first?

Nice patronising posting there.

Why should Salford not chase the players they want, why should we accept ex SL players from the lower leagues?

Morley is by any measure you care to use coming to the end of his career, and even at his prime I would have been shocked anyone paying 250,000 for a fee. RL doesn't do many fees.

Yes the Doctor is aimming high and maybe he should be realistic in his aims, but Salford are in the news and on national radio more this year than they have ever been. He is attempting to create a buzz about the place and watching his joy at the win on Sunday was a pleasure. I expect his team will make some good quality signings in the enxt year or so.

Seems some Wire fans are getting worried, they seem to be only bitter fans.

As for Barton the nearest train stations are either Patricroft or Irlam. Both are a couple of miles away. The club seems to be running shuttle buses to the stadium again for this week and I think one is running from Irlam.

As for Barton the nearest train stations are either Patricroft or Irlam. Both are a couple of miles away. The club seems to be running shuttle buses to the stadium again for this week and I think one is running from Irlam.

Let's hope he chases the lot of 'em and shakes things right up.

Particroft looks good. Does Eccles RL play at the RU ground half way between the station and ground?

Is that where they invite cars to park on match days?

No we shan't do that Steve, you have me in a headlock with your post and that Martyn Sadler has put the boot in so I'm just about beaten to a pulp.

But you and Mr. Sadler may overegg the pudding when you you say The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game.

As I say it's not that further from the BBC sports office to The JJB than it is to Barton where the biggest club in the game resides, who I am sure will continue to court the Sports hacks who have waxed so lyrical about Wigan over the years.

I think the clubs most important to the game are the ones who can win cups in front of 15,000 fans with quality local players born bred and developed appearing on the field.

You and Mr. Sadler need to qualify why Salford are more important than Wigan, and the closeness to the BBC sport office and the population of Manchester doesn't cut it for a reasoned guy like me :D

is that the same bbc who can't even be bothered to read out rugby league results on north west news??

Particroft looks good. Does Eccles RL play at the RU ground half way between the station and ground?

No, they play in different grounds.

Yes, Eccles RL are offering parking. It's a short walk to the stadium.

Alternatively, there's a couple of good quality pubs in Eccles, close to the tram stop. See the Good Beer Guide.

You're correct in everything you say, and Salford now has an owner who I think will be the most dynamic owner in the game and who will be able to exploit all those factors you refer to.

It's funny to see how Marwan Koukash's bid for Sam Tomkins is being mocked by some people who should know better.

As a comparison, Koukash attended his first race meeting in 2007, and immediately fell in love with that sport. Five years later he has had 300 winners and last year his horse was the favourite to win the Melbourne Cup.

He has now fallen in love with Rugby League, and I don't think we should underestimate him, or believe that he is merely pursuing publicity stunts.

It's early days, but it strikes me that he's the best thing to hit Rugby League for a long time (although, having seen Boots n All last night, think Brian Barwick could run him close, if he means what he says) and I sincerely hope that he attracts other like-minded individuals to other clubs that need them.

i agree with a lot of what you have posted martyn, koukash like steve o'connor are new to rugby league and steve has been a breath of fresh air at widnes, if thegood doctor does the same at salford it is certainly pointing the game as a whole in the right direction. too long most clubs have been run like an old boys network and the new investment has certainly gone some way to change the flat cap and whippet persona of the game. as regards the mockery of the tomkins bid, the same people did the same when widnes made an attempt to sign darren lockyer, are now mocking salford.. i think that the signing of the likes of kevin brown and gareth hock by widnes has made people sit up and take notice of what steve has acheived at the club, and no doubt when salford sign a couple of big names then people will have to takes them seriously............

The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game.

is that the same bbc who can't even be bothered to read out rugby league results on north west news??

I'm not sure.

Mr. Sadler may be able to advise?

Eccles ARLFC have their own ground off the A57 Liverpool Road,come off motorway at Peel Green,take first left and its left after the St Michaels Club down Schofield Road and the left into Hallsworth Road.look for the signs.

they never bother to give the results of the games on a sunday and two weeks ago they did an article about the north west super league derby between wigan and warrington and completely ignored the other big north west derby the same weekend between widnes and sthelens......

No, they play in different grounds.

Yes, Eccles RL are offering parking. It's a short walk to the stadium.

Alternatively, there's a couple of good quality pubs in Eccles, close to the tram stop. See the Good Beer Guide.

Is the tram one that runs out of Piccadily?

Train to Picadilly, outside the station tram to Eccles.

Once there one is near Eccles RLFC (but don't have a car) so couple of good real ale pubs then a walk to the stadium.

I know I'm being a nuisance but what's the journey time from manchester centre to Eccles on the tram??

Eccles ARLFC have their own ground off the A57 Liverpool Road,come off motorway at Peel Green,take first left and its left after the St Michaels Club down Schofield Road and the left into Hallsworth Road.look for the signs.

On google map turn left off the M/Way junction to peel green and left up schofield road. Where it bends sharply back on itself there's a clubhouse and two pitches. Google mark it as Eccles Rugby Union - should that be league?

I don't think Sintelliners are a good case study, it isn't the European hotspot of inbreeding for nothing. Some of the locals don't venture outside their own family never mind their town.

You are not from Wigan are you?

This all stemmed from your assertion that Bradford were more strategically important to the game than Salford. I think you should withdraw gracefully.