Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

Eddie Hemmings

52 posts in this topic

We need a bit of balance though, it can't be all dour faced expert analysis. There is room for a bit of humour.

Which part does Eddie offer?!

Which part does Eddie offer?!

Er pass. Although I don't think he's quite as bad as painted if I'm honest. My point is that the commentary should not be always dead serious with people afraid to crack a joke.

Eddie is by far the best caller on British sport on TV, Also he's better than anything thats on Aussie TV as well.

You been drinking....he's not a patch on Ray Warren.

You been drinking....he's not a patch on Ray Warren.

Rabs is senile and needs to retire. He's well past his best.

Er pass. Although I don't think he's quite as bad as painted if I'm honest. My point is that the commentary should not be always dead serious with people afraid to crack a joke.

I agree. I enjoy some of the things Barrie Mac adds in this department. But Eddie just isn't funny at all. He reminds me of Buzz Killington on Family Guy. "I've quite a mastery of the humourous yarn."

I like Eddie. If he'd been lost to football like Clive Tyldesley, Rob McCaffrey and Jon Champion we'd have been moaning.

What do people want FFS

We want someone new. Isn't that obvious?

There's nothing wrong with freshening things up every now and then.

We want someone new. Isn't that obvious?

There's nothing wrong with freshening things up every now and then.

What I'd like to see is Eddie as a studio presenter only something he's good at. I'd get Dave Woods in as the main commentator but I actually think Brian Carney could do the job if they can't get him. I would then have Jon Wells as main summariser along side with Clark chipping in with comments as wells does now. Stevo should have either a minor part or no part at all he could still do the weekly magazine shows.

I think that the problem with Phil Gould is his constant sniping at the game here, when he's shown no inclination to come here as a coach and show us what we're doing wrong.

Pension them both off.. I have a great deal of respect for Stevo for what he has done in the game and do think ver the years he's embraced the pantomime villain aspect of his role too much. Eddie is just very bad and annoying..

Brian Carney would be a better choice as host of any RL presentations. Get rid of Eddie and Stevo, keep the rest and bring in a new commentator who simply commentates and leaves the analysis to the others

Anyone remember the snipe that Eddie had at Carney last season when he mixed up his words? Something along the lines of "you're going to have to do better than that if you want a lead job" or something.

It's like he knows his time is coming to an end but doesn't want to let go.

Hemmings has always wound me up.

Last night I stuck on some tunes and watched the game with the sound off. Enjoyed it much more tbh without the usual tangents and banging on about the same decision for five minutes before it being proven that the official got it right.

Eddie is a joke and what is the point of having a go at Phil Gould? Gould knows the game has coached at the Highest level and also is highly respected by players and coaches. Eddie is a clueless muppet who tries to offer his opinion but often fails as he for me doesnt understand or read the game at all and comes across badly. Then tries to add humour which fails. Stevo is not my thing and the two of them dont me enjoy the game as much. Carney is excellent and tells it how it is and offers a players input ยด. Phil Clarke is similar as is John Wells. I do feel Sky make Clarke in particular look stupid by trying to making him to be something like a 3rd act for Stevo and Eddie and giving him stupid gimmicks. I would much prefer listening to people who have played or coached the game at a very high level and add an understanding or something that is easily missed by the average fan. If I wanted to listen to comedy or somebody being controvertial I would look at a Sit Com or Discussion show. I want to watch Rugby League and enjoy it but also see why a team is doing such and such and why a try was cored or saved.

Stevo played and coached at the highest level. Make of that what you will.

I see Eddie has managed to get his best buddy from 'West Cheshire' Graham Beacroft a gig as touchline reporter despite him knowing absolutely nowt about RL. He's a football reporter, always has been. Plus he has a nasal whine voice that grates on me.

As for Eddie & Stevo, the game has moved on and they haven't. They're just tiresome these days.

Stevo played and coached at the highest level. Make of that what you will.

He did- in the 1970s! Gould has been involved at NSW as well as NRL Clubs in the past 10 years. He also is involved at Penrith right now though not in a coaching role as such. Massive difference for me. I also feel Stevo is set up as somebody to be loud and bold instead of trying to just call the game.

My dead gran's forgotten more about rugby league than Eddie & Stevo know combined. As broadcasters, they're a total joke.

Few players on twitter getting into Eddie and Stevo about the poor commentary in the Salford v HKR game

Few players on twitter getting into Eddie and Stevo about the poor commentary in the Salford v HKR game

It's not even commentary any more, Eddie has become beyond embarrassing

It's interesting that Andrew Voss hasn't yet got a regular commentary job for the NRL this year. He did the Warriors v Broncos pre-season game on Saturday for Sky NZ but his Twitter feed shows that he doesn't know whether he'll be commentating every week.

He irritates some people but I still think he's probably the best of the Aussie commentators.

I know Eddie and Stevo are part of Sky's RL heritage but I don't think it would do the sport any harm to have a different voice now and then. If they only covered one of the two Sky games a week, people might find them less annoying.

I think that's a really good point and hadn't considered it. Why not mix it up a bit to keep it fresh? After this weekend's games I've had a bellyfull of Dumb and Dumber. Let's have a different perspective and not the usual 'utilise the dummy runner' mantra.... But it doesn't need to be a wholesale clear out.

E & S have started to believe they are Eric & Ernie, they think they are a good comedy act, they aren't and they need to be reminded that they are sports commentators and if they want to do comedy go to Dave for a contract.

my suggestion get rid of them both and employ claire balding with brian carney and phil clarke, claire could make tiddlywinks sound good and carney has an infectious ehthusiasm coupled with phil clarkes knowledge and hey presto a good set up................

Get that fella who got all giddy at Team GB in the Olympic cycling! I liked his enthusiasm.