See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my missus

the clock on sky games

47 posts in this topic

anyone else think that the clock on the sky games is a negative thing, i think it should be turned off with say 5 to go so the game is played without the clock dictating which plays are made.

looking at the clock and then running or kicking the ball into touch is not a very good sight, the players can still ask the ref how long is left but they wouldn't know to the second and so would have to keep playing.

anyone else think that the clock on the sky games is a negative thing, i think it should be turned off with say 5 to go so the game is played without the clock dictating which plays are made.

looking at the clock and then running or kicking the ball into touch is not a very good sight, the players can still ask the ref how long is left but they wouldn't know to the second and so would have to keep playing.

IMO the clock is another thing eroding the uncertainty nature of RL. Not knowing how much time is left adds to the tension.

Get rid of it ASAP

IMO the clock is another thing eroding the uncertainty nature of RL. Not knowing how much time is left adds to the tension.

Get rid of it ASAP

Flame-throwers on the posts, water balloon in the ball. Take away the ref's whistle. Remove laces from boots. Swap shirts at half time.

It's taken long enough for clubs to have a clock installed. It's not a distraction, it's a functional tool.

Clock are now at every match, no problem. The problem was when only sky games had the clock

Clock are now at every match, no problem. The problem was when only sky games had the clock

Agreed

Get rid of it ASAP

I'm starting to think you should be used in an advisory role at the RFL.

Whatever your opinion is, do the opposite.

I'm starting to think you should be used in an advisory role at the RFL.

Whatever your opinion is, do the opposite.

Do you prefer knowing how much time is left?

At Football matches they announce how much time is left to play (injury time).

As you believe we should follow virtually everything they do, where's the problem?

Just to be clear, without a clock Wide to West would never have happened. Nor last year's Millard try against Saints. For both the ball was urgently played with just two seconds left, had they not had a crowd counting down they would not have known to make that extra effort to play-the-ball in before the hooter sounded.

If you want uncertainty, then presumably the referee should not reveal the tackle count either.

Just to be clear, without a clock Wide to West would never have happened. Nor last year's Millard try against Saints. For both the ball was urgently played with just two seconds left, had they not had a crowd counting down they would not have known to make that extra effort to play-the-ball in before the hooter sounded.

If you want uncertainty, then presumably the referee should not reveal the tackle count either.

Those endings are extremely rare. Unfortunately knowing when the game will end removes the suspense in most games even if less than one score is involved

Those endings are extremely rare. Unfortunately knowing when the game will end removes the suspense in most games even if less than one score is involved

Should all of the people attending have their watches removed when they enter the stadium just in case they time the game?

Should all of the people attending have their watches removed when they enter the stadium just in case they time the game?

No, the same as they should not remove any other part of their clothing

thierry_alibert_616318.jpg

:huh:;)

Could we throw a die after every tackle to see what tackle it is ?

the players can still ask the ref how long is left but they wouldn't know to the second and so would have to keep playing.

How would the ref know? He doesn't keep the time in Rugby League, we have an "official timekeeper", that's why we finish a game with a hooter rather than on the refs whistle

Lobby certainly wouldn't be saying this if Leigh had been in Super League (and competitive) during the long period in which Wigan had a clock of sorts in the stadium, which very often ran down to zero with Wigan often scoring a long time afterwards.

(I know it wasn't the official clock, but it wasn't half annoying).

Lobby certainly wouldn't be saying this if Leigh had been in Super League (and competitive) during the long period in which Wigan had a clock of sorts in the stadium, which very often ran down to zero with Wigan often scoring a long time afterwards.

To be fair most clubs had a clock of sorts and I'm struggling to think of any who didn't. As you point out though, i can't recall any who actually stopped the clock for delays, so many tries were scored with the clocks on zero. This was so prevalent in the 'old days' I'm amazed Lobby isn't asking for it to be made compulsory today.

Err yes I would

To be fair most clubs had a clock of sorts and I'm struggling to think of any who didn't.

Bradford didn't until about 3 seasons ago when all SL teams had those clocks installed. Although I do admit the electronic scoreboard on the Coral stand did try, but it was a bit rubbish.