Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my missus

the clock on sky games

47 posts in this topic

Those endings are extremely rare. Unfortunately knowing when the game will end removes the suspense in most games even if less than one score is involved

I don't think it does remove the suspense. In a close game, knowing your team have only 10 seconds to score to take the lead and this next play is now all or nothing

How would the ref know? He doesn't keep the time in Rugby League, we have an "official timekeeper", that's why we finish a game with a hooter rather than on the refs whistle

In $uperleague games he could ask the "official timekeeper", with whom he is in radio communication.

Surely we'd have to get rid of published kick off time too, as people will be able to ascertain that approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes after kick off the game is likely to end, thus meaning the urgency in play will change.

As an aside. I thought in the Wide to West the hooter has already gone and the ball was being chucked about in full knowledge the next tackle would have halted play.

To be fair most clubs had a clock of sorts and I'm struggling to think of any who didn't. As you point out though, i can't recall any who actually stopped the clock for delays, so many tries were scored with the clocks on zero. This was so prevalent in the 'old days' I'm amazed Lobby isn't asking for it to be made compulsory today.

Depends how far you go back. There did used to be a clock, a forty minute timer - guess you could have called it a glorified wind up egg-timer, but I agree it was quite a significant gap after its demise. That was the sort of thing most clubs had back in the day.

Surely we'd have to get rid of published kick off time too, as people will be able to ascertain that approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes after kick off the game is likely to end, thus meaning the urgency in play will change.

For me the suspense is ruined by knowing the fixtures in advance.

If the players were blindfolded, driven around in a coach for a bit with no idea who they were playing or where, it would make RL a lot more exciting for me.

In fact, the suspense is ruined by knowing who's in Super League (or indeed any other league). Imagine how much excitement that would create, knowing who'd got the licenses for the first time when the players run onto the field.

Im in favour of only having the clock removed if they playthe Countdown theme played from 79:30

Im in favour of only having the clock removed if they playthe Countdown theme played from 79:30

Now we're getting somewhere.

A 9-letter conundrum could appear on the big screen, and if the captain of the trailing side cracks it before the clock winds down they can add an additional 10-minutes to the game clock. These 10 minutes could be added indefinitely, making a thinking man's half-back a must in every side. Conversely, if the leading side can crack the conundrum first, they can stop the 10 minutes being added.

In fact, the suspense is ruined by knowing who's in Super League (or indeed any other league). Imagine how much excitement that would create, knowing who'd got the licenses for the first time when the players run onto the field.

We'd be trending all over Twitter.

'#Huddersfield are in, and yes, #Widnes are in too'.

'Has anyone seen #Wigan ?!' 'Are #Wigan out?'

'Mais non, #Wigan est ici a Perpignan!'

Now we're getting somewhere.

A 9-letter conundrum could appear on the big screen, and if the captain of the trailing side cracks it before the clock winds down they can add an additional 10-minutes to the game clock. These 10 minutes could be added indefinitely, making a thinking man's half-back a must in every side. Conversely, if the leading side can crack the conundrum first, they can stop the 10 minutes being added.

:D

Its the best sports fusion since Chess Boxing.

I remember a game on the BBC, Salford V Warrington where the good old BBC forgot to stop the clock, Alan Hunte scored the winning try on 87 minutes (or something like that)

I remember a game on the BBC, Salford V Warrington where the good old BBC forgot to stop the clock, Alan Hunte scored the winning try on 87 minutes (or something like that)

:blink:

They didn't stop the clock in those days.

I was at that one too, I almost fell down the terracing when Hunte went in. Alan obviously felt so guilty at breaking Salford hearts that he went on to become something close to a Salford favourite.

:blink:

They didn't stop the clock in those days.

Sky did, and it wasn't that long ago was it??

Thinking about is I bet that was about 2000 (I seem to have drifted into the getting old thread)

Sky did, and it wasn't that long ago was it??

Thinking about is I bet that was about 2000 (I seem to have drifted into the getting old thread)

RW, it was definitely in the era before the BBC provided a clock on the big screen or were connected to the official timer. Your memory is certainly correct in that it was scored in the 7th or 8th minute of injury time.

If the players were blindfolded, driven around in a coach for a bit with no idea who they were playing or where, it would make RL a lot more exciting for me.

For me the suspense is ruined by the players running onto the field knowing what team they play for. Make them draw lots each week to determine what team they play for I say.

For me the suspense is ruined by the players running onto the field knowing what team they play for. Make them draw lots each week to determine what team they play for I say.

That sounds like something DeadShotKeen would actually advocate.

Surely the fans cant be left out of this? A phone call could be given to all fans on the day of the match and then told what team you are supporting that day.

It'd be better if we didn't know what they were running out onto, swimming pool, carpet of baby vomit, Oscar Pistorius' bathroom.

The clock should be a calendar, flitting around between years like in Back to the Future, and the players play the game according to what year it says.

As an aside. I thought in the Wide to West the hooter has already gone and the ball was being chucked about in full knowledge the next tackle would have halted play.

Just to be clear, it was. But the final play the ball was urgently made by Sculthorpe at 79:58 on the clock. Had it not been visible, and the fans counting down the final ten seconds, then with a normal effort the hooter would have sounded before it could have been put back in play.