Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

George burgess

86 posts in this topic

why do people waste a post by putting sinfield at 13??

he will be 6 for england for EVERY GAME while McNamara is in charge....and when possible hes gonna select the same 1,6,7,9 spine...that being tomkins,sinfield,chase & roby....

Given that George Burgess has barely played yet for Souths, he'd have to have a pretty incredible season to be in contention for an England spot.

I favour putting Sam Burgess at 13 and then playing Hill or Mossop at prop to give us a massive and mobile pack.

Graham

Roby

Hill

Westwood

Hock

Burgess (S)

Can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level, you'll get destroyed later in the game.

Also where's graham.

Tomkins and Widdop won't be able to build up any pressure at all. Fair enough they may make a break or two and are a massive threat attacking whise but they would have to play the majority of the game in their own half. Brough is a must for me IMO as he's got the pace that Sinfield doesn't and can organise and kick.

Sorry, and thanks to both you and 'Back to the future' for pointing out my glaring mistake in omitting Graham! On the basis of 'he must be in' I would then have Crabtree on the bench, Grahame to start, probably as Captain too and Hock out of the 17.

You are correct on the forwards issue, apart that is, from the fact that I cannot see (if he is retaining the form of last season) how Burrows can be left out, as his game breaking qualities are an obvious requirement, especially in the latter stages of games.

I do have reservations now over Roby, who does not presently seem to have the same stranglehold he held so easily for some seasons past on the hooking position. I feel that it is much more deeply contested presently than for a good few seasons past.

Houghton is the form man and that from last season also, but Higham, McIlorum and Lunt also, could be there or thereabouts depending on form and fitness when the time comes around.

My aversion to Brough is that for some years now he has started each season with an almighty bang but then inexplicably he almost dissappears from view. He seems to somehow get fed up of playing, for want of a better description and his form when that occurs ia as abysmal as it was superb previously, if and on past seasons, this is a damn big if, brough is at top form at the seasons end and playing at his best then I would also have to have a rethink on him being in the team let alone the squad.................but, lets wait and see on that score.

I think to put Sinfield in the team at 6 would require a Heighington or a Burgess at 13 with a Widdop or a Tomkins at 1. To put him at 13 like Leeds would require some big centres to cover the loss of a player taking hit ups etc at 13.

If we desperate to fit Sinfield in, id put him at 9 with Roby on the bench... I havent seen him have a bad game at 9 and when I saw him there initially I was gobsmacked at the shocking decision to play him there... how wrong I was eh!

The props for me would be James Graham, Sam Burgess, Eorl Crabrtree and Chris Hill. Your back row would be Hock, Ellis & Heighington with Westwood taking the last bench spot.

Brough should be given his chance at 7, he is probably the best English eligible half back in Super League and Gareth Widdop at 6.

Hall & Briscoe on the wings, Tomkins at full back but the centres are where id struggle to pick... Watkins would be in there but the last slot would be harder to pick, id probably go with Zak Hardaker... probably for the bias.

Im sure some people don't watch the game or have an inability to learn. yes sinfield is pretty dire but hes played stand off for 2 seasons now since leeds changed to the now norm of additional middle unit 13 and a half on either side of the field. Therefore if hes going to play and people want consistency then he plays 6 (or 7 as its the same role nowadays). This is where he will play. Stop writing 13.sinfield its annoying and pointless.

How does luke robinson never get selected people have short memories one of our best players last tour down under also in form at giants and i'd tomkins hall reed watkins briscoe widdop brough hill roby graham hock westwood burgess subs robinson (l) burgess ellis and farrell

burrow gets selected ahead of robinson....

and we can't have hock & westwood on the pitch at the same time....

Despite what has been said in the past few seasons I think this will be an "old guard" selection. Tried (tired?) and tested, few new names. Heck, even Gleeson might get a nod.

who are the "old guard" these days?

Would only really class Morley as the "Old Guard" now. We have a pretty youthful squad compared to previous years.

who are the "old guard" these days?

I know it sounds disrespecful in a way, but I didn't mean it to be in most cases. Those who have been selected in most if not each England side over the past 3-4 series. Some deservingly so, some not so. The specifics I think of include Sinfield, McGuire, Burrow, Westwood, Carvell, O'Loughlin, Jones-Buchanan, Ablett, Wilkin, Roby, Graham. I'd go as far as to suggest Peacock, Morley and Gleeson will be in there too. Again, some are there on form and are consistently the best in their position, but who knows who will perform this year. Some names are included irrespective of their form.

I can't understand why ppl think u can't have hock and westwood on the field at the same time. The aussies always have a fierce pack and we have to have players who won't take a backwards step, will mix it if they have too and are the best in ther positions. Hands down them pair are the best 2nd rowers england have.

cos they have no self control and are both penalty magnets.....start one & bench one

i agree that it would be ideal to start Hock on the bench, but who do you have as the other starting second row?

Thts ur opinion. I think if we want to do well and try and compete then we have to have both starting. We have to utilise our world class players not bench them.

World Class players can be more affective from the bench. Hock will be more affective against the Aussies from the bench I'm pretty sure of that, he has the ability to break the line and change the game.

If its the WC final England v Aus and the game gets fired up Hock and Westwood would cost us the game on the field at the same time. I can guarantee the Aussies will intentionally wind up the pair to get easy penalties.

On another point I'm liking the look of Westerman this season also, maybe he can be a shout at LF.

Even though this discussion is on going you can probably pick the England team now regardless of form.

Tomkins, Briscoe, Ablett, Reed, Hall, Sinfield, Chase, Graham, Roby Peacock (convinced to return) Westwood, S Burgess, Heighington Subs: Burrow, Jamie Jones Buchanan, Gareth Ellis, Wilkin

Edit: This is Mcnamaras team.

The biggest problem facing England IMO is the half backs, barring injuries you can name the Aussie 6 and 7, thurston and Cronk and foran and Marshall for the kiwis. But England I haven't a clue, surely to god it wont be sinfield and chase?

Main issue for me is the centres and halves.

Sinfield and Rangi or Widdop and Brough?

I don't think you can mix and match them. Those pairings would work the best IMO.

There's also Myler pushing at the moment as well.

Then there's the centres. For me, none of them are really standing out at the moment. We've got a lot of above average centres, but no world class ones that could rival Senior in his day. I think this is where we will fall down defensively.

The biggest problem facing England IMO is the half backs, barring injuries you can name the Aussie 6 and 7, thurston and Cronk and foran and Marshall for the kiwis. But England I haven't a clue, surely to god it wont be sinfield and chase?

stop talking about foran & marshall as if they are good....the only team they've beat while playing together is WALES!!!

Main issue for me is the centres and halves.

Sinfield and Rangi or Widdop and Brough?

I don't think you can mix and match them. Those pairings would work the best IMO.

There's also Myler pushing at the moment as well.

Then there's the centres. For me, none of them are really standing out at the moment. We've got a lot of above average centres, but no world class ones that could rival Senior in his day. I think this is where we will fall down defensively.

Kallum Watkins isn't standing out? He'd be an absolute certainty for me if I were picking the England team today.

i think 1-5 has already been picked in McNamaras head

1. tomkins

2. hall

3. reed

4. watkins

5. charnley

nowt wrong with that imo...

stop talking about foran & marshall as if they are good....the only team they've beat while playing together is WALES!!!

I'd take them for England in a heartbeat.

I'd take them for England in a heartbeat.

let me get this straight....you'd take the kiwi 6&7 over englands.....even though this "magical" kiwi 6&7 have only ever beaten wales and never beaten australia or ENGLAND!!

dear me......unplug ur computer pal....

I'll throw something out there to be shot down - half-back pairing of Brough and Robinson. They would be used to playing together.