Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

George burgess

86 posts in this topic

Our forwards are equal to the Aussies, they are no better and no worse IMO.

In the backs we arnt far off although lack the sheer depth the Aussies have. Hall Briscoe and Charlney are international quality. Hall is IMO the best winger in the world. Centres Reed is holding his own in the NRL. Then Watkins has the speed size and strength of a world class centre, he just needs to work on his defence alot and he'll be as good as any Aussie centre apart from Inglis. Tomkins isn't as good as Slater but he isn't a shabby comparision.

We just get mullered in the 6 7 and 9 department. They just build up pressure so much better than we do. The Kiwis have too play Foran IMO Benji and Johnson just won't work there isn't any leadership there. If we had Chase and Tomkins in the halves we would be a massive attacking threat but 9/10 we wouldn't get out of our half because Smith Cronk and Thurston would keep making the full back return the ball from his own try line.

Has anyone had a look at Simon Grix in the games we've been on Sky this year? I'd go as far as saying he's been Warrington's best forward so far.

Plays for Ireland doesn't he?

Jack Reed had an average 2012 and had a shocker first up on the weekend, he will need a big year to make the England squad.

Jack Reed had an average 2012 and had a shocker first up on the weekend, he will need a big year to make the England squad.

Reed is a mediocre player in the least inspiring Broncos side that I can remember.

If Hardaker is to be kept out of the England full-back position by Tomkins, then I'd rather see him - as just one example - in the side ahead of Reed.

He plays in the NRL.. automatic selection under McNamara.

Charnleys defence isn't good enough against the Aussies/Kiwis. Hardacre has to play so I would go Tomkins - FB, Hardacre, Hall - Wings, Watkins, and one from Evans/Atkins/Yeaman/Goulding/Reed - Centres, Widdop, Brough - Halves, Peacock, Graham - front row, McIllorum - Hooker, Burgess, OLoughlin, Hock - back row, Hill, Westwood, Ellis, Roby - bench.

May replace Ellis with another prop from Burgess L, Crabtree, Carvell based on form.

Charnleys defence isn't good enough against the Aussies/Kiwis. Hardacre has to play so I would go Tomkins - FB, Hardacre, Hall - Wings, Watkins, and one from Evans/Atkins/Yeaman/Goulding/Reed - Centres, Widdop, Brough - Halves, Peacock, Graham - front row, McIllorum - Hooker, Burgess, OLoughlin, Hock - back row, Hill, Westwood, Ellis, Roby - bench.

May replace Ellis with another prop from Burgess L, Crabtree, Carvell based on form.

ppssstttt.....none of that makes any sense

Tis not the pack I'm ever worried about, the backs, with the exception of Tomkins and Ryan Hall is where we lack.

Depends on what type of loose forward you want.A runner or a distributor.

Modern day LF is like a 3rd prop not many distributors now in that position like before it's changed now your FB has that role

Yep Ellis is relying on his past performances, hasn't played well since 2011. He was either injured or badly out of form for the whole of 2012 and hasn't managed a game yet for Hull

Modern day LF is like a 3rd prop not many distributors now in that position like before it's changed now your FB has that role

Prefer a tough tackling second row at loose forward myself... with full back doing the old loose forwards distribution.

gaz hock shoulg be nailed on to start, with westwood on the bench, we also have danny tickle to add to the list..........now all we need are decent centres and half backs............

Anybody else think that chev walker has a chance of maybe making the bench as cover for the back row and emergency centre if any injuries the the 3/4's?

Anybody else think that chev walker has a chance of maybe making the bench as cover for the back row and emergency centre if any injuries the the 3/4's?

Unlikely, I would have thought - although his start to the season has been superb.

Another twenty five games like that and he'll struggle not to get picked, but that's easier said than done.

Unlikely, I would have thought - although his start to the season has been superb.

Another twenty five games like that and he'll struggle not to get picked, but that's easier said than done.

Aboustley depends on form but like you say he's started the season in superb form. Prior to his departure to union he was playing the best rugby of his career at Leeds in the centres IMO and was a dead cert for the tri-nations down under in 2006, he along with Leon Pryce, Danny McGuire and rob burrow never fulfilled their true potential on the international stage.

I'd go for...

Burgess

Roby

Graham

Hock

Westwood

Sinfield.

Myler

Widdop

Watkins

Atkins

Briscoe

Hall

Tomkins.

Bench.

Burrow

Hill

Ellis

Crabtree

Hardaker

Hall

Watkins

Atkins

Charley

Tomkins

Widdop

Graham

Roby

Burgess

Hock

Westwood

Sinfield

Houghton

Ellis

Carvell

Hill

just think we cant afford Sinfield taking the place of a knocker at 13, and at 6 he isn't good enough against the very best. If he is at 6 then we can look at Myler, if not then it has to be Brough. Hock, Burgess, O'Loughlin seems right for the back 3. Form hooker is also Higham at present but I like McIllorum, he's the dirty barsteward we need in a big pack that must intimidate.

Sorry to say but I thought that the comment on Sinfield by Roughyed spud was one of the wierdest for some time, where and what he has been watching to state that only the three players from Oz that he named have been better in internationals than Kevin in recent times is not just laughable but ludicrous also.

Actually if fit and on form the first name on my list would be Westwood, he4 provides more mongrel than anyone else we have consistently, something that showed clearly last saturday V Hull, because Warrington sorely missed his aggresion in the first half, it was only after the introduction of Higham ( who is playing better than ever) that some real fight seemed to be instilled into the pack for Warrington.

Ellis is also not the force he was and although he can be relied upon to do a defensive stint well his go forward over the past two seasons has not been that outstanding and younger fitter lads are emerging onto the scene as well. How long is he out at Hull, anyone know?

I would also have Tomkins at S/H with Widdop alongside, no Atkins who would be an absolute liability defensively against the Aussies, his reading of the game when close to the line is schoolboyish, hard and runs well with the ball, full stop!

Hardacre

Charnley

Watkins

Reed

Hall

Widdop

Tomkins

Burgess (L)

Houghton

Crabtree

Westwood

Burgess (S)

O'Loughlin

Peacock

Hock

Burrow

Roby.

Others: Farrel, Grix, Ellis, Brough, Sinfield, Harrison, Briscoe, Reilly.

Sorry to say but I thought that the comment on Sinfield by Roughyed spud was one of the wierdest for some time, where and what he has been watching to state that only the three players from Oz that he named have been better in internationals than Kevin in recent times is not just laughable but ludicrous also.

Actually if fit and on form the first name on my list would be Westwood, he4 provides more mongrel than anyone else we have consistently, something that showed clearly last saturday V Hull, because Warrington sorely missed his aggresion in the first half, it was only after the introduction of Higham ( who is playing better than ever) that some real fight seemed to be instilled into the pack for Warrington.

Ellis is also not the force he was and although he can be relied upon to do a defensive stint well his go forward over the past two seasons has not been that outstanding and younger fitter lads are emerging onto the scene as well. How long is he out at Hull, anyone know?

I would also have Tomkins at S/H with Widdop alongside, no Atkins who would be an absolute liability defensively against the Aussies, his reading of the game when close to the line is schoolboyish, hard and runs well with the ball, full stop!

Hardacre

Charnley

Watkins

Reed

Hall

Widdop

Tomkins

Burgess (L)

Houghton

Crabtree

Westwood

Burgess (S)

O'Loughlin

Peacock

Hock

Burrow

Roby.

What no Graham?

Hardacre

Charnley

Watkins

Reed

Hall

Widdop

Tomkins

Burgess (L)

Houghton

Crabtree

Westwood

Burgess (S)

O'Loughlin

Peacock

Hock

Burrow

Roby.

Can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level, you'll get destroyed later in the game.

Also where's graham.

Tomkins and Widdop won't be able to build up any pressure at all. Fair enough they may make a break or two and are a massive threat attacking whise but they would have to play the majority of the game in their own half. Brough is a must for me IMO as he's got the pace that Sinfield doesn't and can organise and kick.

Leroy Cudjoe hasn't been mentioned on here, he has been excellent in attack and defence so far and has really matured as a player imo. him and Watkins would be my centre pairing at this early stage.