Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

havenhater

Referee spoiling the gane

35 posts in this topic

I think it is small things that make the difference between us and the two top teams we have seen at DP this term. Remember the try we scored in the first minute against Halifax where we put a runner in to a gap and there was 3 or 4 others supporting him all the way? We haven't seen that since. We have two big strong second rowers who need to be put in to gaps not used as battering rams. That is down to the half-backs to draw players in and creat these gaps and in the first half yesterday I thought we did that a lot more but sadly it was non-existant in the second half.

Sheffield's winning score by Mitchell Stringer came out near the touchline. Would we ever see one of our props out on the wing flattening a smaller winger or back? I don't think for one minute Stringer was out there to take a rest so can only presume that it was planned that way.

We do have dummy runners but our problem is that we all know which players are the dummy runners and which players are going to get the ball. It needs mixed up a bit more because if we can spot it I'm sure other coaches spot it and cover it. Brett Phillips and Jarrad Stack had two and three tacklers on them all the game yesterday.

I still say that with a fair crack from Turley we would have won that game yesterday even though we made again some weak defensive errors and we have to learn from these games.

All the refs are poor and yesterdays was typical but we still could,and should, have won by our own doing. Still a top effort against a fancied side though.

All the refs are poor and yesterdays was typical but we still could,and should, have won by our own doing. Still a top effort against a fancied side though.

All the refs are not poor just some of them like to show they are the boss. No-one is saying that we didn't make mistakes but so did the ref and some of his altered the game. It only takes a couple of poor decisions that leads to possesion and position on the field to lead to a try and that certainly happened yesterday.

I think the ball to Carter was forward so he couldn't play on. It was a lottery but if we'd scored second half it would have taken him out of the game.

That's what he gave.

That's what he gave.

No it wasn't, he gave a penalty for a high tackle as we got the ball back.

I think it is small things that make the difference between us and the two top teams we have seen at DP this term. Remember the try we scored in the first minute against Halifax where we put a runner in to a gap and there was 3 or 4 others supporting him all the way? We haven't seen that since. We have two big strong second rowers who need to be put in to gaps not used as battering rams. That is down to the half-backs to draw players in and creat these gaps and in the first half yesterday I thought we did that a lot more but sadly it was non-existant in the second half.

Sheffield's winning score by Mitchell Stringer came out near the touchline. Would we ever see one of our props out on the wing flattening a smaller winger or back? I don't think for one minute Stringer was out there to take a rest so can only presume that it was planned that way.

We do have dummy runners but our problem is that we all know which players are the dummy runners and which players are going to get the ball. It needs mixed up a bit more because if we can spot it I'm sure other coaches spot it and cover it. Brett Phillips and Jarrad Stack had two and three tacklers on them all the game yesterday.

I still say that with a fair crack from Turley we would have won that game yesterday even though we made again some weak defensive errors and we have to learn from these games.

a very good post Keith.

No it wasn't, he gave a penalty for a high tackle as we got the ball back.

he gave a forward pass for the ball to carter which would have counted as our advantage play. therefore under new rules you bring the play back to the 1st offence(the high tackle). it didnt look forward to me and i personnally think he was covering his own error in calling the penalty too early.

having been to games and watched some on tv i think 3 in the tackle and a bit of lying on is the norm

Yes we're seeing what a huge part the wrestle and turtling the man are in this league . Doesn't make the best or free flowing spectacle but it's just another thing to come to terms with .