Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

DR The fightback?

74 posts in this topic

I'm still a touch confused by the fact that everybody keeps banging on about youth. It smacks of 'won't somebody think of the children' hysteria.

There is a clear reason why Paul Wood and Chris Bridge played for Swinton - because there was literally nowhere else for them to play apart from Super League.

It was a benefit for Warrington that they played these games, and I assume that Swinton decided that it would also benefit them, by the fact that they have signed up to the agreement and then used them.

DR in it's current form is basically the replacement for 2nd teams - old players played in 2nd teams too, so not sure why people think only kids should be able to go into the system.

By the way, I don't like it, I want to see these players playing in a Wire 2nd team, but I don;t know why people keep going back to the youth point.

I don't like it but I take your point 100%.

However the answer is out - the focus on the youth thing is a contrived argument to try to stop the status quo (no rock jokes please) being changed such that it may threaten the top CC clubs.

When this was at proposal stage Powell and Aston were clear that it was about the threat to their teams winning all the time.

.... the self interest the gang of four base their protestations on please

this is about what's good for erm "The game"

You mean the self interest of marketing their clubs and going out and raising money so that they can sign the 'better' players?

One club that's gone down the DR path apparently only had 17 players signed on at the start of the season - if that's true you've got to ask whether they should be in the Championship (or any league for that matter) at all.

When this was at proposal stage Powell and Aston were clear that it was about the threat to their teams winning all the time.

Really? Can you point me to that statement?

partnerships can also work in reverse, if the championship club has a promising young player then he might get the chance to sign for the super league club therefore improving his career

You mean the self interest of marketing their clubs and going out and raising money so that they can sign the 'better' players?

One club that's gone down the DR path apparently only had 17 players signed on at the start of the season - if that's true you've got to ask whether they should be in the Championship (or any league for that matter) at all.

Any self interest you want Les.

All clubs are full of self interest, but I'm not criticising anyone for that. I applaud all clubs striving hard to get further up the ladder wether it's on Davey's millions, on Hetheringtons junior development programme, on Campbells destination Superleague policies, or Hunslet's "let's be Leeds "A" team approach.

In your first sentence you may mean Rovers, in your second you can easily mean Hunslet.

Hunslet gave your lads a good game (first time in years) on Sunday. In time their policy could see them edge out Rovers in the return especially if Kylie Leuluai and Darrel Griffin are propping!!

And that's the truth for me - the top clubs want this stopping first and foremost for their own ends. Words like "Integrity" and "youth development" are more effective in any campaign to stop the rush towards the Championship being an "A" team league. "We risk losing matches" is less effective.

YES Rovers are taking the hard way out and many clubs are taking the easy way out - that's why I keep posting that clubs serious about SL should be in there. I'd rather Featherstone stopped griping and concentrate on being too damn good for the Championship, whatever it's becoming.

Really? Can you point me to that statement?

Yes they both were worried about the quality of players their rivals could get on the cheap. They did an article each in the RL & LE - don't you get that paper?? Careful with your answer Mr. Sadler is on the forum this morning.

Striving to be as good as you possibly can through hard graft and good business practice has no place in the Championship by the looks of it Les. Much better to plod along and feed off the scraps thrown down from the SL top table. And Parky, if you think Hunslet gave Rovers a good game then you weren't at the match.

Striving to be as good as you possibly can through hard graft and good business practice has no place in the Championship by the looks of it Les. Much better to plod along and feed off the scraps thrown down from the SL top table.

What on earth is up with you? What your club has strived to do has been applauded universally even by it's detractors on here.

The RFL are fully supportive and your ticking boxes whilst struggling SL clubs are unticking them

Why do you care what the "A" teams are up to? Rovers focus must be on Superleague and NOT the Championship.

Reduce the championship back down to 10 stand alone clubs and form a reserve league to be financed by the reserve and mother clubs.

Allow the championship clubs to use the DR system but allow them to use players from ANY club using strict criteria 'like' none or very little sl experience and u23 yrs of age.

Yes they both were worried about the quality of players their rivals could get on the cheap. They did an article each in the RL & LE - don't you get that paper?? Careful with your answer Mr. Sadler is on the forum this morning.

Their concern was the salary cap and how it would be applied which is a more than valid cause for concern. As I've said before to you, if the cap is no longer fit for purpose then remove it. Problem solved.

Any self interest you want Les.

All clubs are full of self interest, but I'm not criticising anyone for that. I applaud all clubs striving hard to get further up the ladder wether it's on Davey's millions, on Hetheringtons junior development programme, on Campbells destination Superleague policies, or Hunslet's "let's be Leeds "A" team approach.

In your first sentence you may mean Rovers, in your second you can easily mean Hunslet.

Hunslet gave your lads a good game (first time in years) on Sunday. In time their policy could see them edge out Rovers in the return especially if Kylie Leuluai and Darrel Griffin are propping!!

And that's the truth for me - the top clubs want this stopping first and foremost for their own ends. Words like "Integrity" and "youth development" are more effective in any campaign to stop the rush towards the Championship being an "A" team league. "We risk losing matches" is less effective.

YES Rovers are taking the hard way out and many clubs are taking the easy way out - that's why I keep posting that clubs serious about SL should be in there. I'd rather Featherstone stopped griping and concentrate on being too damn good for the Championship, whatever it's becoming.

To be fair to Fev and Sheffield in particular, they are two clubs who have invested heavily (by Championship standards, at least) in running Academy sides - against the wishes of the RFL and some Super League clubs. They are coached by people who believe that for their clubs to be a success in the long term, and RL in general in this country, then we should be producing and developing more players, not less. Both have also signed young players from SL clubs - not on dual reg agreements (though I seem to recall Fev did use them in the past with Leeds, but I may be wrong on that), but on season loans or when SL clubs don't want them. Yes, they may feel threatened, but that's only because they're trying to do things "properly", to develop into potential SL clubs in future. They also have a point about the way the system is being abused by SL clubs, as a cheap alternative to running more Academy teams/under 23s/a second team league.

Why do you care what the "A" teams are up to?

because terry might not be as narrow minded or singularly focussed as you might be assuming?

because terry might not be as narrow minded or singularly focussed as you might be assuming?

He's on the forum now Robin. He can voice his concerns, and equally I can refute any second hand assumption by a third party that I believe Mr. Mullaney is "narrow minded". Your intervention is merely mixing it.

Put your spoon away man.

Their concern was the salary cap and how it would be applied which is a more than valid cause for concern. As I've said before to you, if the cap is no longer fit for purpose then remove it. Problem solved.

I have said to you to judge a clubs ability to draw SL crowds on their ability to draw crowds in CC is wrong. the 2,500 criteria must go. I also strongly believe the cap is OK applied to most championship clubs but applied to ambitious Superleague clubs it may well be restrictive.

Whilst Superleague teams need capping to ensure the Elite division doesn't implode and ruin the SKY contract, no such need exists in the Championship.

There we agree and for the record I do not think your "narrow minded" :lol:

Striving to be as good as you possibly can through hard graft and good business practice has no place in the Championship by the looks of it Les. Much better to plod along and feed off the scraps thrown down from the SL top table. And Parky, if you think Hunslet gave Rovers a good game then you weren't at the match.

what arrogance

what an insult to the people who are working their asses of to do just that...be the best they can. I can't think of one single club in either division of the championship that isn't doing everything in its power to survive and grow.

What on earth is up with you? What your club has strived to do has been applauded universally even by it's detractors on here.

The RFL are fully supportive and your ticking boxes whilst struggling SL clubs are unticking them

Why do you care what the "A" teams are up to? Rovers focus must be on Superleague and NOT the Championship.

Why do I care what the A teams do? I can't believe you're asking that question. I care because I want to see a league full of clubs that are striving to be as good as they can be through their own rigorous endeavours instead of what we have now regardless of whether Fev end up in SL or not. You know... A league that's worthy of being called the Championship.

I support Keighley Cougars.

I have been to two games this season. One home one away.

This DR system is against the whole ethos of what i believe about the game.

Cant see me going to another game.

To be fair to Fev and Sheffield in particular, they are two clubs who have invested heavily (by Championship standards, at least) in running Academy sides - against the wishes of the RFL and some Super League clubs. They are coached by people who believe that for their clubs to be a success in the long term, and RL in general in this country, then we should be producing and developing more players, not less. Both have also signed young players from SL clubs - not on dual reg agreements (though I seem to recall Fev did use them in the past with Leeds, but I may be wrong on that), but on season loans or when SL clubs don't want them. Yes, they may feel threatened, but that's only because they're trying to do things "properly", to develop into potential SL clubs in future. They also have a point about the way the system is being abused by SL clubs, as a cheap alternative to running more Academy teams/under 23s/a second team league.

By the very fact that they are running a full junior system they are setting themselves up to be a strong consideration for Super League entry. They have both declared an intention to get into Superleague and are acting as Superleague clubs, I am sure partly for the noble purpose of helping develop kids for the game as a whole, but also for helping their applications to SL.

In what mix that is we will never know. If Featherstone were rejected for Superleague in a fashion that made them believe they would never get in again, would they continue with the junior development? We do not know.

But that isn't the point I make, it seems Featherstone at least are worrying about something they are breaking their necks to leave behind, and are strong favourites to leave behind..

Sheffield may be a different matter. They must see that London who have few fans like Sheffield have an SL license based wholly on a junior development system that is outside the M62 corridor. The Junior system is essential to any SL bid for Sheffield to show that can increase the player pool in non RL heartlands.

In both cases however the point may be made that paying out for such systems is questionable if all that happens is SL clubs take the best kids off Shefield and Fev. So far I only know of "Zac" being taken in this way but Rovers got £80,000 for him (so I heard) so maybe their system isn't all about "for the good of the game"

My answer to that one would be that they probably knew what was going to happen and had already had talks with Warrington prior to the September meeting of Championship clubs. Leeds and Hunslet announced their partnership prior to that meeting!!!

Why do I care what the A teams do? I can't believe you're asking that question. I care because I want to see a league full of clubs that are striving to be as good as they can be through their own rigorous endeavours.......

Well we know where semi pro championship clubs end up in terms of "rigorous endeavours" leaving the league like York and Bramley did, going bust like several of them have, and drifting along because fewer and fewer people want to watch Semi pro anymore.

Your in danger of being a bit holier than though here Terry. Just remember how much money Mr. Campbell brought into the club, and how much Mr. Nahaboo is putting in and proposing to put in.

You may be mistaking all of you clubs progress as being on "honest endeavour" when in fact a large amount is on hard injections of cash.

This is what I don't like about the argument that clubs are worried for the game, worried for youth development, worried about each other etc etc. This game is a game primarily based on money and self interest.

But the top four clubs are not trying to dictate to the others. Where do you get that idea from?

I think they are, Terry. They have no intention of submitting to DR so the proposed restrictions won't affect them at all. They want the others to sign up and restrict the usefulness of DR so that they (the top four) can carry on being the top four.

That's why I would have invited all 14 of the Championship Clubs.

It's poor PR - just makes them look self interested.

But the top four clubs are not trying to dictate to the others. Where do you get that idea from? They've made an agreement between themselves and are hoping that the others will follow suit and use the DR system in the spirit intended.

So why didnt they invite all the other championship clubs to their lovely little tea party?

So why didnt they invite all the other championship clubs to their lovely little tea party?

Nail, head.,

I am really not seeing what the big problem with DR is.

Wasn't there a meeting of all Championship clubs a couple of weeks ago where DR (amongst other things) was discussed? I'd guess the 'other' clubs made their views clear at that meeting and didn't want to discuss any further. Wouldn't be much point inviting them then would it?