Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

castleford in the mire?

67 posts in this topic

There is no evidence that this is the case.

Indeed.

The evidence is actually there, as I set out above, that Castleford can't afford to invest in off the field developments that will increase income streams. I don't know what this magical "help they have to offer due to their expertise" is Mr. K goes on about?.

The reality is clear that money solves everything, and sadly Castleford have not got enough of it.

Ferres speaks about the next two years and the clubs that want to come up to Superleague, so it's clear he feels that Castleford's place in Superleague will be under threat and the club are to be measured against their rivals. It's my guess that he's suggested various things but the budget is not there.

If any company brings in someone to turn it round but the two parties can't agree on the turn round solutions then it's simply an honourable thing to do to resign and move on which Ferres has done, and the company to thank him for his efforts which they have. Neither party deserves castigation, only best wishes that something else or someone else will turn up.

after the bradford, wakefield and salford problems i hope that another club isn't in danger of administration or worse, i hope it's just about a difference of opinion and nothing deeper......

The signals look like a club that has cut player spending and investment down and whose chairman has injected funds JUST enough to balance the books on a low turnover, below SL level. No signs of going bust, no talk of mounting debts.

Does everyone who leaves a job give the real reasons why they left? In my experience, the one thing people do is blame someone else. It may be that Ferres is expressing his sincere opinion, but it also may be that there is another side to the story.

As for Fozzard, he may have been an excellent player but what are his qualifications to be Commercial Manager? Maybe he's missed his targets, had a poor appraisal and decided to pursue other opportunities. he's not likely to give that as a reason, even if it were true.

As for Fozzard, he may have been an excellent player but what are his qualifications to be Commercial Manager? Maybe he's missed his targets, had a poor appraisal and decided to pursue other opportunities. he's not likely to give that as a reason, even if it were true.

This I agree with. How about appointing someone with commercial experience who also knows a bit about RL rather than "jobs for the boys"?

And Wheldon Road is not a ship either.

B)

What's the latest news on Wheldon Road about Cas getting out?Have the RFL given them a deadline.

What's the latest news on Wheldon Road about Cas getting out?Have the RFL given them a deadline.

Sadly for Cas, they won't be getting out of Wheldon Road. They can't sell it and even if they could, it's value is nowhere near the build cost of the new stadium at Cas Vegas. Last I heard, the proposed site for the new stadium was being looked at for use as an office complex.

Can you have double irony? Isn't that a statement of fact? Where's Ed Byrne/Alannis Morrisette when you need them?

Lol

Sadly for Cas, they won't be getting out of Wheldon Road. They can't sell it and even if they could, it's value is nowhere near the build cost of the new stadium at Cas Vegas. Last I heard, the proposed site for the new stadium was being looked at for use as an office complex.

You are chucking a lot of stuff into this thread, none of it without any proof - what is your motive?

The problems over getting to Glasshoughton are well documented. In the 2009 round of licenses Cas and Wakefield were given a deadline of sorts with warning letters over their place in SL, this was when no SL club lost their place (but Widnes were dumped on).

The warning was not carried out in 2012 even though neither club had gone anywhere. Wakefield claimed they'll be in Newmarket in 2015, with the RFL passing them for SL with the rider "the stadium position is uncertain".

Castleford were congratulated on a "strategy for commercial and supporter growth", but the riders were this would only be achieved "upon the move to a new facility in 2013" Further observations were that the business was in an "inadequate" facility, and that the challenge for Cas was wholly a new stadium.

That Cas (and Wakefield) passed for Superleague second time round was IMHO indicative that those who didn't get in provided very poor applications, which seemingly meant the original warnings were empty because the RFL/Committee had no alternatives.

You can see above Kenny and Pontey squaring up over the ground issue, this is because the RFL/Licensing committee will have an alternative to Cas with a strong 2015 license application from Fev. If one replaces the other then Featherstone will have free reign to move in on Cas junior players and floating fans in the area. That's what licensing is all about - fighting each other for resources.

In reality if it happens Cas won't lose their place because Fev get a place, but the link will still be made :rolleyes: .

You are chucking a lot of stuff into this thread, none of it without any proof - what is your motive?

Erm, someone asked a question and I let them have my understanding of the current situation.

Don't be so touchy, one of the first things your last CEO did was to 'fess up about the lack of hope regarding the new stadium and propose improvements to WR instead. Something that Cas should have been doing ten years ago, it might have prevented your current, less than ideal situation.

OK, the office block thing is speculation, just heard it from a couple of former colleagues at WMDC, but if you look carefully, you'll see that all I said was "I heard", at no point did I claim it was a definite thing.

As for motive, as Parky points out, there will be competition for your license next time, as a fan of the club looking to come up, I am naturally very interested in the happenings at what I perceive to be Super League's weakest club.

He wanted to see changes to generate more income, but the ground is holding them back and they will be in it for at least two more years. he spoke about ground improvements in relation to "safety issues" which he has spoken about before and it seems the ground far from generating the incomes other clubs grounds can generate, gives rise to too many repair costs from deterioration and recent thefts.

I keep saying this but owning your own ground isn't the panacea you'd think it was. If I needed a van for a couple of weeks a year, would I buy one or rent one ? Hmmmm....

As wlyw2 quoted

Nick Fozzard@Fozzythebear1

Individuals that hold Castleford Rugby League Club back must stand down from their positions. My reasons for leaving will be heard.

Fozzard stood down, so was he also holding them back?

Erm, someone asked a question and I let them have my understanding of the current situation.

Don't be so touchy, one of the first things your last CEO did was to 'fess up about the lack of hope regarding the new stadium and propose improvements to WR instead. Something that Cas should have been doing ten years ago, it might have prevented your current, less than ideal situation.

OK, the office block thing is speculation, just heard it from a couple of former colleagues at WMDC, but if you look carefully, you'll see that all I said was "I heard", at no point did I claim it was a definite thing.

As for motive, as Parky points out, there will be competition for your license next time, as a fan of the club looking to come up, I am naturally very interested in the happenings at what I perceive to be Super League's weakest club.

I was referring more to this quote

Stand up wind of the fan, there's a load of brown stuff about to hit it

But I do now realise it was on the other Cas thread so apologies

Good luck Cas, to drop from FT to PT for a min of 3 years is a hole few would return from - a second FT tier allows rebuilding both up and down.

I was referring more to this quote

But I do now realise it was on the other Cas thread so apologies

Aye, we'll have to wait and see about that one. And I genuinely hope it doesn't come to it.

Good luck Cas, to drop from FT to PT for a min of 3 years is a hole few would return from - a second FT tier allows rebuilding both up and down.

I think circumstances are starting to potentially dictate this happening. London, Cas, Salford, Bradford (on half dough), Fev, Halifax, Sheff, Leigh and possibly Widnes plus ano would make a good 2nd tier that was affordable.

If WCC is expanded then Super League would be just that.

I suggest you check out your own back catalogue for a bit of double irony

Bearing in mind your 36 times more likely to have shown double standards I have nothing to worry about.

Bearing in mind your 36 times more likely to have shown double standards I have nothing to worry about.

cracking logic.

I'm glad you have nothing to worry about, apart from perhaps lacking an iota of self appraisal.

Good luck with that.

Christ there's nothing like a throw-away comment to inspire a boat-load of pedantry and bickering.......please feel free to untwist your under-garments (you know who you are)

This just in: someone has resigned from something.

in other news: the world continues to turn on its axis

"One man struggles, while another relaxes"

Sorry, Massive Attack's "Hymn of the Big Wheel" just popped into my head.

"One man struggles, while another relaxes"

Sorry, Massive Attack's "Hymn of the Big Wheel" just popped into my head.

well played :D

I keep saying this but owning your own ground isn't the panacea you'd think it was. If I needed a van for a couple of weeks a year, would I buy one or rent one ? Hmmmm....

Point cheerfully taken and now you indicate a need to consider renting something as part of the 2015 licence. Now where in the WDMC district will such a stadium be available 2015?

A big welcome back to the board. I missed you.

Great point above. I can see how introducing Aussie clubs into a pre-season WCC tournament that could underpin a 10 club SL first division, can allow 10 more clubs to function as a full time second division.

Two problems. Firstly it's been reported the NRL will not compromise their league to help SL although Hetherington has apparently gone to ask the question. Wether he's only gone there to be able to blame the Aussies WHEN 2 x 10 doesn't happen I dunno.

Secondly in this modern era when everyone wants the best of everything, how will clubs prosper in a "second tier" when the current recordis a second tier being reduced to "A" teams??

That's all off topic, and back on topic the question of Castleford sharing Newmarket must arise here???