Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

02/03/13 - Widnes Vikings v Hull FC - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Widnes Vikings
    • Hull FC
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

168 posts in this topic

I disagree......I don't think this is an arrogance issue.......if anything it's a result of pressure, trying to have a big game and getting carried away being over enthusiastic

110% agree

Respect to wigans reserves, wooden spoon will miss them this season

Shame the crowd didn't turn out in large numbers :P

Crowd was pretty respectable and way in line with previous games against Hull.

When you factor in Sky, Saturday evening and a direct clash with Liverpool we didn't do too badly.

Crowd was pretty respectable and way in line with previous games against Hull.

When you factor in Sky, Saturday evening and a direct clash with Liverpool we didn't do too badly.

Good point , I wasn't being mischievous, widnes like wires suffer when the footie is on..... Unfortunately most poeple can't accept that.... I totally forgot about the scouse redshite kopites

Well, I don't know what to say. My team were an absolute embarrassment. Looked like Gentle picked a few blokes off the street who didn't know each other and hadn't seen a rugby ball before.

What a shower of $h!te.

And yet they gave a great performance against the Saints. There again, are we $hite also? :D

As for the game I thought it was good and fast. The pitch will still have its critics especially after Westerman's reaction but it makes for fast Rugby League.

I actually thought Hull had much the better of the first half, they dominated territory and were easily winning the collision. I was worried the stat about metres gained (480 - 611) was going to tell in the second half.

However, apart from the excellent Linehan, they didn't turn up. Widnes played better but after losing Marsh, Brown and other players having clear knocks Hull should have been able to get back into it. Instead they gave probably the most inept handling performance seen for years. Real basic knock ons from good passes.

I wouldn't be devestated as a Hull fan, like I said earlier they like travelling to Widnes as much as we like travelling to Hull. Had they scored at 12-4 instead of a Flynn intercept I suspect we'd been talking about a very different result.

He's going to be dropping some of your players.

Thanks, that's the very least he should do.

I have to confess, when I saw the names "Seymour" and "Arundle" on the team sheet, I was absolutely astounded.

Gentle has a lot of work to do with his players if he's to get a decent top eight place. Right now, mid table mediocrity is looking a distant hope.

And yet they gave a great performance against the Saints. There again, we $hite also? :D

Looks that way. :rolleyes:

Apologies if folk think I'm not giving Widnes enough credit, I'm just rather fed up right now. :(

Good point , I wasn't being mischievous, widnes like wires suffer when the footie is on..... Unfortunately most poeple can't accept that.... I totally forgot about the scouse redshite kopites

Of course it has an effect at all NW clubs. I'd say at least 40% of Widnes fans are Liverpool fans too, but to differing degrees. Some will pick the Widnes game, some will pick the Liverpool game and it will have an effect on both clubs.

When your average is 6500 a few hundred is a big difference. When it is 44000 and you could probably sell that out 3 times over, not so much.

If Houghton had played better we'd have got nailed, there were tomes there were someone like Roby would have rolled all over us........Seymour was ###### but Lineham looks like a solid future prospect...........our injuries are worrying but hopefully Hanbury, Clarke and Mellor will take the strain in the interim...........all 3 played great tonight

Its ok hock will save you

A good side might have made you pay for his indiscipline. As it was he beat the Hull pack on his own.

Didn't phelps tackle the player without the ball

It was a poor read by the otherwise excellent Phelps. Video ref got it right.

A good side might have made you pay for his indiscipline. As it was he beat the Hull pack on his own.

I think we (all the Widnes fans) are starting to see what Wigan fans have said all along..........tonight he made a try saving tackle and made an outstanding break/offload from a tap penalty........trouble is he gave away away at least 3 penalties, 2 of which Hull scored tries directly from them........he's an asset and liability in equal measure

I think we (all the Widnes fans) are starting to see what Wigan fans have said all along..........tonight he made a try saving tackle and made an outstanding break/offload from a tap penalty........trouble is he gave away away at least 3 penalties, 2 of which Hull scored tries directly from them........he's an asset and liability in equal measure

I think that final sentence is a perfect summary of Hock, its balancing the good with the bad. For all the headlines he made at Wigan since his ban, it's coincidental that upon his return the major trophies dried up. He clearly can win a game on his own against poor, average and underperforming opposition, but good teams will punish the indiscipline, poor defensive reads and errors. Saying that, it is actually quite fun to watch him playing for someone else now - I can enjoy the sublime play and not worry about the consequences of the inevitable brain farts.

In any case it looks like Widnes are very happy with the deal and early results. Whereas Wigan might be better off in any case with Farrell as a direct replacement in the starting 13 and plenty depth in the backrow. A rare case where everyone wins.

chuffer what gan]me did you watch?? i went to the game and watched it on sky plus when i got home, for me that was arguably the best game we have played since we got the license, hock was brilliant and was a constant threat to hull, jon clarke rolled back the years with a superb display and for me joe mellor was my man of the match, not only is the lads attacking play brilliant but his defence is second to none........... my prediction before the start of the season was 10th, now i think we may make the 8...........

I think the overseas players at Hull are possibly the worst at any club in SL apart from poor ol' Salford who have a fair excuse.

chuffer what gan]me did you watch?? i went to the game and watched it on sky plus when i got home, for me that was arguably the best game we have played since we got the license, hock was brilliant and was a constant threat to hull, jon clarke rolled back the years with a superb display and for me joe mellor was my man of the match, not only is the lads attacking play brilliant but his defence is second to none........... my prediction before the start of the season was 10th, now i think we may make the 8...........

Hock gave position and ball to Hull 4 times singlehandedly undoing any good work leading up to that point

If Hull had been remotely able to hold passes the game would be dead and buried by half time

hull were beaten by a better team on the night.........................get over it lad.

I think the overseas players at Hull are possibly the worst at any club in SL apart from poor ol' Salford who have a fair excuse.

Saints with Perry and Lance were are you top that list by miles

Are you mistaking me for a Hull fan?

Yes Widnes were the better team in the end but in the first half Hock was Hulls best player, and Hulls handling was Widnes best defensive ploy...

Entertaining game though

:lol:

You think there are another 5 teams capable of the sort of dross Hull FC served up today, week in, week out?

As for Hock, as has already been pointed out, any other team would have made Widnes pay heavily for his indiscipline. He may have created Phelps' try but one of his penalties led to Galea's try, and a less tolerant ref would have had him off for ten mins for persistent offending.

Enjoy your day in the sun against a very poor effort from Hull but hey, let's not get too carried away eh?

Average teams with enthusiasm beat good ones with none.Gentle and McRea need to step back and look at themselves, the players were ###### poor lastnight too.

Average teams with enthusiasm beat good ones with none.Gentle and McRea need to step back and look at themselves, the players were ###### poor lastnight too.

I'd hesitate to imply Hull are a good team personally. They've yet to prove anything on the field and at best their ceiling appears to be in the second tier teams of SL. Widnes have clearly improved from last season and are closing the gap to the likes of what I would term average teams such as Hull.

I'd hesitate to imply Hull are a good team personally. They've yet to prove anything on the field and at best their ceiling appears to be in the second tier teams of SL. Widnes have clearly improved from last season and are closing the gap to the likes of what I would term average teams such as Hull.

I would agree with that by and large, Hull have the potential but have yet to show it. Widnes were the best team by far last night, If the other side don't get up for it that's not your fault, you play the best you can and Widnes did just that. One thing that surprised me was the very pacy Hull winger who ran across field and got a hand to the lad that scored .While Brisco ( who i rate ) made no attempt to catch him at all.

It was deffo one of our better games since we returned.....up there with the wins against hull and hudds last season.....and I agree about clarke and mellor......clarke was great and we were getting very quick ptb for him which is a credit to our pack.....we'll have to agree to disagree about hock, the good thing about his arrival is that he's lifted the club and fans.....and he has shown his magic on several occasions.....but the discipline needs sorting out and I'm not sure we're capable of changing the spots on this paticular leopard