Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

havenhater

Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

103 posts in this topic

Scott Brown.

That was him, I had never seen a stand off who couldnt pass before.or tackle. Or run. Or kick.

Some other prime candidates for the bottom 3 :-

David Fraisse

Peter Livett

Greg Brake

Ben Lia

Mark Cox

Kyle White

Matiake Mafi

Fata Sini

Who remembers gavin brown! Think i have got the name right. Big lad

Big Gav got a few tries from the old 'flying wedge' tactic before it was banned. I think he was the second biggest player I've ever seen at Town, marginally behind a huge Aussie we had briefly in the 70's called Gibbs.

Mine are top 3; Allan Rowley ..... loved the way he used to do a little shuffle with his feet as he picked up speed.

Shane Varley ..... always tackled round the ankles( how it should be done)

Big Jimmy P..... just for the way he battered that little gob (S/H that played for Keighley forgot his name) looked like jimmy was putting in spuds.

worst 3 Joe Ricio .... american footballer TM brought over, played on the wing, when the whistle went he ran and didnt stop till he got to Flimby.

Duffy.... just rubbish.

Norman Turley....wouldnt sign me autograph book (never forgave him) :angry:

Top Three:

James Pickering

Mick Jenkins

Mark Mulligan

Bottom Three

Bryan Hendry

John Thursfield

Mateaki Mafi

Some other prime candidates for the bottom 3 :-

David Fraisse

Peter Livett

Greg Brake

Ben Lia

Mark Cox

Kyle White

Matiake Mafi

Fata Sini

Was Livett the big shot GB amateur that just looked lost?

I'm surprised Kyle White is in there as a bottom 3 pick. Surely not in the same league as some of them mentioned!!

Have to add lyn Hopkins to my favorites

top kicker who dug a mound with his boot to place the ball on. Could score a try or two as well

Peter livett was the full back I was actually thinking about, not stott. He was terrified of being tackled. But leave frenchy dave alone, he was a top bloke. But a bit cack.

Was Livett the big shot GB amateur that just looked lost?

I'm surprised Kyle White is in there as a bottom 3 pick. Surely not in the same league as some of them mentioned!!

I thought White turned out to be an good player- certainly a ball playing forward- great match against Halifax on Sky for one.

Livett was a barla fullback from Woolston- signed a year late and couldn't cut in the First Division

Mine are :

Top3 - Jimmy Pickering, Billy Pattinson and Des Drummond (special mention to Brad Hepi and about 10 others.........Mulligan, Boxer, Gorleys, Hopkins, Barry Williams, Buck, Kerr, etc)

Worst - Carl Roden, Ben Lia and Andy Clewes

if we'd got another season out of Anthony Samuels he'd be up there. He took a little time to come good, but he was developing into a belter.

Mattayaki mafi wasn't too bad if you ask me 2 try debut and scored a few more tries in his stint!

Didnt he ave a really bad bicep injury?

Also, blokeI know wants me to mention Kevin Gorge`s son, because he believes he was muck.

Big Gav got a few tries from the old 'flying wedge' tactic before it was banned. I think he was the second biggest player I've ever seen at Town, marginally behind a huge Aussie we had briefly in the 70's called Gibbs.

and Scott Walker and Tau Liku show that being big is no substitute for ability.

Kyle White ? No way it took him time to get going but he had a good spell after that .

Kyle White ? No way it took him time to get going but he had a good spell after that .

totally agree, i liked kyle. i was shocked that scott burgess was in as well. maybe wasnt the greatest hooker in the world but gave 100% everytime and was actually pretty good darting from dummy half.

I included him because I think when looking at worst players it should be based on utilisation of talent. Lads like Carl Roden etc were poor players in a poor team and played as well as they could, so i think its unfair to include them, they were what they were and never had the talent in the first place. Kyle White came with a reputation from the ARL as being a big talent and never ever lived up to his previous reputation in a Town shirt IMO. That plus the fact that off the field he was the biggest a**ehole you could ever wish to meet, which may be clouding my judgement a little.

one i forgot for worst of all time, stuart rhodes. hopeless at town and a long long long way past his best.

if it was since 2000 i would go for

best-

lunty- as previous post

stack- never seen a forward give 100% like he does every single game

holt- the old fella used to control games like no other, kicking game was possibly the best ive seen at derwent park.

worst- again as previous post

Top 3. Boxer, king kenny kerr & share varley

Worst 3. Khmet, collister& ray Lewis

Can't agree with Collister and Ray Lewis, Collister would walk into todays team, and Ray wasn't the most gifted of players but he did try. I reckon we've seen a lot more dross than them over the years. But it's all about opinions I guess.

Worst 3 for me

Billy Platt.....Head and shoulders above the rest, remember been in the Bells end when he made his debut at haven, they were all laughing their heads off at the state of him. He then proceeded to give away 2 interception tries.....class

Paul Gorge....Chairmans son, enough said. (maybe looked bad because he was playing in a great team)

Andrew Clewes....Clewless

Best 3 for ability

Brian Edgar......I was only a boy, but remember him well

Ian Wright.....Superb Centre, one club man

Shane Varley....Whippet like scrumhalf and tough as teak

3 who nearly made it and always put a smile on my face ( and that takes some doing)

Billy Pattinson....My all time Town hero

Jimmy Pickering....Just amazing

Kenn Kerr....Who can forget the night he aquaplaned across the line at the Wreck from 20mts out on a soggy December night.

Can anyone remember Stuart Chick ? I nearly put him in the worst 3 but couldn't remember if he was as bad as the ones I picked, I've a feeling he was.

Can't agree with Collister and Ray Lewis, Collister would walk into todays team, and Ray wasn't the most gifted of players but he did try. I reckon we've seen a lot more dross than them over the years. But it's all about opinions I guess.

Worst 3 for me

Billy Platt.....Head and shoulders above the rest, remember been in the Bells end when he made his debut at haven, they were all laughing their heads off at the state of him. He then proceeded to give away 2 interception tries.....class

Paul Gorge....Chairmans son, enough said. (maybe looked bad because he was playing in a great team)

Andrew Clewes....Clewless

Best 3 for ability

Brian Edgar......I was only a boy, but remember him well

Ian Wright.....Superb Centre, one club man

Shane Varley....Whippet like scrumhalf and tough as teak

3 who nearly made it and always put a smile on my face ( and that takes some doing)

Billy Pattinson....My all time Town hero

Jimmy Pickering....Just amazing

Kenn Kerr....Who can forget the night he aquaplaned across the line at the Wreck from 20mts out on a soggy December night.

Can anyone remember Stuart Chick ? I nearly put him in the worst 3 but couldn't remember if he was as bad as the ones I picked, I've a feeling he was.

i wouldn't question anyones effort just overall ability on the pitch.

Yes, I put him in my three. He was a winger as I recall, one of Ray Ashton's lesser achievements bringing him to Town. He only played about 4 games.

talking of kyle white, does anyone remember town claiming they had signed his brother josh, only for it to fall through? reason i ask is i noticed josh criticising someone on facebook for not honouring a contract so i asked him (politely) about town. he didn't appreciate the question! he denied that he had signed which isn't how it was reported.

Josh white , wests magpies 7 . That would have been a coup .