Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

havenhater

Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

103 posts in this topic

what about your coach gary charlton and his dad plus boxer walker was a great player

talking of kyle white, does anyone remember town claiming they had signed his brother josh, only for it to fall through? reason i ask is i noticed josh criticising someone on facebook for not honouring a contract so i asked him (politely) about town. he didn't appreciate the question! he denied that he had signed which isn't how it was reported.

If I remember correctly, he was supposed to have signed for us, only to then not turn up to pre season.

A quick Google search found this..

www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-reber-on-alert-to-face-leeds-1069779.html

And going back to the greybeards memories the great Gus Risman and Sol Roper who my dad still goes on about .... Lets just say we've had many great and legendary players who've lit up our lives and shaped our great history . Three is never gonna do it , its impossible . So many will never be forgotten .

what about your coach gary charlton and his dad plus boxer walker was a great player

Gary in the top 3 !!! His dad maybe........and Boxer.....great player who we got the best of, before his career went downhill :rolleyes:

Yeh we know about the GB cap, so don't bother with that one.

Boxer was in the World XIII in 1979, when he was a Town player

1 Graham Eadie (Australia)

2 Kerry Boustead (Australia)

3 John Joyner (GB)

4 Jean-Marc Bourret (France)

5 John Atkinson (GB)

6 Alan Thompson (Australia)

7 Arnie Walker (GB)

8 Craig Young (Australia)

9 George Peponis (Australia)

10 Rod Morris (Australia)

11 Les Boyd (Australia)

12 Rod Reddy (Australia)

13 Ray Price (Australia)

If I remember correctly, he was supposed to have signed for us, only to then not turn up to pre season.

A quick Google search found this..

www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-reber-on-alert-to-face-leeds-1069779.html

cheers! his reply to me was pretty weird and I didn't really understand it. things seemed so promising then and we made a good start to the season but completely collapsed when Mick Jenkins went to Gateshead.

My top 3 would Mulligan, Pickering & Kitchin with an honourable mention for David Baildon. If he'd played in one of Walshy's teams, he'd have been unstoppable.

Bottom 3 is hard. Lots of players have been a bit out of their depth but, as someone else pointed out, it needs a bit of context. so in relation to expectation, tony Smith, Scott Brown and Butch Fatnowna.

Can anyone remember Stuart Chick ? I nearly put him in the worst 3 but couldn't remember if he was as bad as the ones I picked, I've a feeling he was.

Talking of Stuart's, thats just reminded me of Stuart Cash a BARLA international 2nd rower who we signed from Woolston at the same time as Peter Livett. He was absolutely rubbish and didn't last long at the club.

On the plus side for Stuart's, nobody has yet mentioned Stuart Cocker who was the most opportunistic try scorer I've ever seen at Town. He was one of those players who just knew how to score tries, quite often when the other side had the ball with his mastery of striking at the PTB before they outlawed it. He could do very little in a game and come off at the end with a hat-trick !

yeah i always liked cocker, as you say he could score from anywhere, and was probably most dangerous with the other team in posession. his try at old trafford was one of my favourites.

Was Livett the big shot GB amateur that just looked lost?

I'm surprised Kyle White is in there as a bottom 3 pick. Surely not in the same league as some of them mentioned!!

Agreed, Kyle White was one of the most destructive forwards I've ever seen

Most exciting to watch for me - Sione, Manihera and Barry Williams marginally more than Jenkins, Lunt, Walsh and Hetherington oh and Savelio was pretty impressive.

Least exciting to watch duffy roden and second rower from whitehaven whose name I can't recall who rejoined a couple of years ago then vanished again who always managed to hit the ground before he was tackled.

When I think of Cocker I think of a game at Keighley in a mud bath when they were the top dogs and we went there and won with him scoring two crackers down the wing . And Hepi had a good barney with someone I can't think off from their pack .

Least exciting to watch duffy roden and second rower from whitehaven whose name I can't recall who rejoined a couple of years ago then vanished again who always managed to hit the ground before he was tackled.

Ryan Campbell ?

Some of my favourites:

Jonny Limmer

Gentleman Hitro Okesene

Anthony Samual

Some my least favourites:

Tommy Brindle

Taani Lavulavu

Andrew Beattie - 2nd Spell

Yes, I put him in my three. He was a winger as I recall, one of Ray Ashton's lesser achievements bringing him to Town. He only played about 4 games.

Virtually everybody from the 91/92 season including Jason Green (another of Ashton's) and Colin Coles. Poor Jonny Lomax must've wondered what he was doing here.

Not sure i should include CC as he wasn't very happy about his treatment by Jam Free !

Most exciting to watch for me - Sione, Manihera and Barry Williams marginally more than Jenkins, Lunt, Walsh and Hetherington oh and Savelio was pretty impressive.

Ryan Campbell ?

Dean Burgess??

Anthony Samuel was my hero growing up! Tackling machine.

A forward called Mark Kear now springs to mind as one of the worst.

Honourable mention for Phil Mckenzie for sheer class and impact in a short time . And big mention for Rowland Phillips for sticking with us as things started to turn and carrying us .And I'll go with Tony Smith , Martyn Wood and Mark Lord for huge hype that never materialised to anything.

I started watching town regular around 91, my top 3 are

Jimmy Pickering - enough said already,

Mark mulligan - solid as a rock, scored tries and what a kicking game out of hand.

Jarrad stack - mr consistent, does he do bad games???

Worst 3

Ten minute taani - I thought he was dire

Mark Jackson - no interest in playing for town, and it showed, thought champ 1 would be a breeze and did nowt.

Mark Hobson - awfull

When I think of Cocker I think of a game at Keighley in a mud bath when they were the top dogs and we went there and won with him scoring two crackers down the wing . And Hepi had a good barney with someone I can't think off from their pack .

I started watching town regular around 91, my top 3 are

Jimmy Pickering - enough said already,

Mark mulligan - solid as a rock, scored tries and what a kicking game out of hand.

Jarrad stack - mr consistent, does he do bad games???

Worst 3

Ten minute taani - I thought he was dire

Mark Jackson - no interest in playing for town, and it showed, thought champ 1 would be a breeze and did nowt.

Mark Hobson - awfull

OMG.....how could I forget about Jacksons awful displays, must be an age thing, long term memory good, short term memory ######, he's in my 3 now just behind Billy Platt.