Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackpool Hawk

Hawks Prayers Answered with Achurch

234 posts in this topic

Which Was exactly the point

Keighley made a personal remark about gav on the basis of knowing knack all about him

As for the son bit

I doubt

Whether you've ever been sexually active enough to reproduce

I merely judged it on your immaturity, doesn't look like i was far off the mark.

Most threads you're involved in usually end up like this.

Have read this thread with interest and take on board the different views. However, three issues still keep being raised which I cannot understand.

1. The reference to - Using the DR as it was intended - How do people know what was intended and by who was it intended? Seems to just be a way of people saying how they personally believe it should have been implemented.

2. The memorandum put forward by the big 4 - since when is it a good idea to have the top 4 teams dictating how the league should be run? The rfl may have got the DR system wrong but they run the league independently of any club and clubs/individuals would be better petitioning them rather than the other clubs.

3. Distorting the facts to suit the argument. An example above is that Swinton used Laithwaite as an "experienced" player from Warrington. After playing for Swinton twice this season he then made his warrington debut last Sunday gainst HKR. So where does his experience come from..........? He was on DR with Leigh last year playing in the Championship. Hardly the sort of DR player people seem to want to complain against, one within the "memorandum" and one of the DR Leigh used last year.

What was the deal with the chocolate and white strip, adopted in the 60's?

You stand 22nd in the Rugby League, Hardly a worthy achievment though seeing as it has been achieved on the back of leeds players.

Someone commented in the boardroom at a match that the opposition looked big in their white strip, and we looked small in green, but there was actually no difference - an optical illusion!!

So the board decided the next strip would be white, with some chocolate which were the club colours in 1908 when we won all four cups.

I grew up with them in that strip and at one time tried to organise some retro jerseys, but you had to buy a lot up front and I was skint.

Kylie Leuluai, Richard moore, can't be classed as young players can they?

I have nothing against Hunslet as a club, infact i thought their supporters we're great when they visited Featherstone. I just feel that certain super league teams are taking the mick when chosing what players to make available, surely it would be more beneficial to all concerned to have an age limit if a pathway is the ultimate goal, it's not like Hunslet are going to sign Leuluai at any point is it?

Hi Lez,

Hunslet are going to play quality young players from Leeds and they're going to take experienced old heads as well. The coach wants to put the best side out he can and if he can have youngsters from Leeds developing in the team, and at the same time give his coaching colleague Brian Macs returning senior players game time he will.

This is because like all coaches he also wants to win games. Like all fans Blackpool Hawks wants to see his team win.

I am sure Barry Eaton will do what's best for his team and for his colleagues (Brian Macs) team.

With the deepest of respect Lez I am sure he won't take any notice of what the opposition coach and fans want him to do. Why would he?

If he thinks Moore and Leuluai can help him steamroller Fev in the return and he can get them he'll naturally put 'em in.

No different to any club down the ages, get the best players you can however you can. It's not like he's bringin a load of Aussies over, now that WAS bad for the game.

Hi Lez,

Hunslet are going to play quality young players from Leeds and they're going to take experienced old heads as well. The coach wants to put the best side out he can and if he can have youngsters from Leeds developing in the team, and at the same time give his coaching colleague Brian Macs returning senior players game time he will.

This is because like all coaches he also wants to win games. Like all fans Blackpool Hawks wants to see his team win.

I am sure Barry Eaton will do what's best for his team and for his colleagues (Brian Macs) team.

With the deepest of respect Lez I am sure he won't take any notice of what the opposition coach and fans want him to do. Why would he?

If he thinks Moore and Leuluai can help him steamroller Fev in the return and he can get them he'll naturally put 'em in.

No different to any club down the ages, get the best players you can however you can. It's not like he's bringin a load of Aussies over, now that WAS bad for the game.

So he isn't an independent coach then, merely a puppet of Leeds'?

Be interesting what happens when Leeds decide if/when he isn't developing their 'youngters' as they would like.

I cannot understand.

1. How people know what was intended and by who was it intended?

2. Since when is it a good idea to have the top 4 teams dictating how the league should be run?

3. Distorting the facts to suit the argument.

1. Blame the RFL/SL. IMHO they introduce changes nowadays by stealth. 17 years ago Lyndsay would come right out and say Chorley were a waste of space and Cas/Fev/Wakey should merge. It causedall sorts of hoo ha so to me they talk about a restricted dual reg system for developing young players, but then they try to put Moore and Leuluai into the mix and rather blatantly show their hand :D

2. The ballot by dictat is a desperate measure in reaction to the RFL telling the four to go away and shut up because nothing will change this season.

3. I think you can understand that one LLM. If someone doesn't want something to happen they'll bend their arguments to suit.

Be interesting what happens when Leeds decide if/when he isn't developing their 'youngters' as they would like.

There's no coach more independent than Barry. he is paid to make decisions and the club will back him 110%, It is his choice who he takes from Leeds, as its been his choice when he has refused players from Leeds, Barry picks a Hunslet team he thinks is the best to win the game in question, regardless of who or where the players come from. He is fortunate to have these players and options at his disposal and in a result driven business he would be crazy not to utilise these options. I know if was coach i would, as im sure everyone would.

Be interesting what happens when Leeds decide if/when he isn't developing their 'youngsters' as they would like.

"A Puppet" :O

He's employed by the Hunslet half of the arrangement and yes he's now subservient to additional views along with those of Mr. Williams and the Hunslet committee. Messrs Hetherington and McDermott spring to mind. Eaton has his own career to think of and I'd guess he's delighted to be part of the new set up and certainly isn't afraid to stand up and tell everyone else to keep their noses out.

All coaches face dismissal at some point so nothing new there for Mr. Eaton.

Why are you a bit mean spirited here Les? Your bags are packed for Superleague and I'm not trying to be funny here but if things continue to go the way they are going a Superleague Featherstone may well get a massive boost by going into a similar partnership with Castleford if the latter don't make SL and you do.

On my research you'd have the best twin club development system in the whole of the game, so careful what you knock.

What was the deal with the chocolate and white strip, adopted in the 60's?

ir wasn't adopted in the 60s

chocolate and qhite were the colours worn by the all four cups side led by Albert Goldthorpe.

Originally Hunslt had worn all whote shirts,but the players were keeping them to wear fr best. So as to msake the sirts easily identifiable a chocolate and white pocket was added. The colours were reintroduced for the 1965 cup final in tribute and have reappeared ever since.8531133332_43aa78d17d_m.jpg

Most threads you're involved in usually end up like this.

no they don't

This season's away kit is Chocolate and white, but we may be moving to Blue and Amber next season :rolleyes::O:D

Achurch didn't have all that good of a game according to the Doncaster fans on RLFans.

Have read this thread with interest and take on board the different views. However, three issues still keep being raised which I cannot understand.

1. The reference to - Using the DR as it was intended - How do people know what was intended and by who was it intended? Seems to just be a way of people saying how they personally believe it should have been implemented.

Indeed - this is a point I have made a few times, and it has been ignored.

People keep talking about the youth, but it was known that there would be some older players playing as the 2nd team had been scrapped.

Achurch didn't have all that good of a game according to the Doncaster fans on RLFans.

I am surprised! :)

People keep talking about the youth, but it was known that there would be some older players playing as the 2nd team had been scrapped.

All the view on these DR threads seem to be very one eyed and only real look at it from a Championship point of view. Just because older players are being offered on DR doesnt mean the system isnt Helping young players. What's getting missed here is if a player like Moore is playing for Hunslet that left space for Achurch to play in the Leeds team. This certainly doesn't go against the system being good for young players. What happened is the Leeds team was a bit much for Achurch so he's been took out of the spot light and now he's being offered to Hunslet.

3. Distorting the facts to suit the argument. An example above is that Swinton used Laithwaite as an "experienced" player from Warrington. After playing for Swinton twice this season he then made his warrington debut last Sunday gainst HKR. So where does his experience come from..........? He was on DR with Leigh last year playing in the Championship. Hardly the sort of DR player people seem to want to complain against, one within the "memorandum" and one of the DR Leigh used last year.

Little Lion Man (and Parky) from my message you have picked out that small piece which I have now amended for you but the point I was making still remains. Three days before the match Swinton had 6 Warrington players from which they could pick 5 then 2 days before the match those 6 plus 3 more were available to play for Swinton.

If we were to accept the memorandum of associations four rules, what is there to stop this sort of thing happening again? That is why it needs to be discussed by ALL the clubs and a set of rules fit for purpose.

The original system which operated last season was only for Under 23's at SL clubs and the principle given was to develop young players too old to play in the Under 20's and Under 18's.

This seasons system was supposed to improve that system but little or no mention of older players being used. That has come about because the rules now say that any number of players at the SL club can be dual registered but no age limit mentioned.

ir wasn't adopted in the 60s

chocolate and qhite were the colours worn by the all four cups side led by Albert Goldthorpe.

Originally Hunslt had worn all whote shirts,but the players were keeping them to wear fr best. So as to msake the sirts easily identifiable a chocolate and white pocket was added. The colours were reintroduced for the 1965 cup final in tribute and have reappeared ever since.8531133332_43aa78d17d_m.jpg

I've just gone through all my stuff and yes the Chocolate and white was used for 50 years up to 1932.

By this time they'd stopped putting the chocolate/white pocket on and yes players were taking shirts home, but by this time it was for wearing at work. I'm unsure of the main culprit but a comiteeman found out from his wife he wore Hunslet shirts down the pit.

The switch to Leeds University colours came then.

This is all nerdy stuff I suppose but I love it. The claim to be a "Leeds club" which repeated over the years is important IMHO in understanding that when the clubs wanted to generate a crowd it was easy to do it by bigging up the rivalry between Leeds and Hunslet. Now it's no more and never will be it's time for change and far from Hunslet developing players for Leeds in a "puppet" like fashion, it's two Leeds clubs sharing one system to the benefit of both.

The change to Chocolate and White again was as I posted above and the only date I can put on that is October 5th. 1963 which is the first "The Parksider" programme to show the new colours and to show the second div championship bowl, the Lazenby Cup and the Yorkshire Cup. Proud moments.......

The original system which operated last season was only for Under 23's at SL clubs and the principle given was to develop young players too old to play in the Under 20's and Under 18's. This seasons system was supposed to improve that system but little or no mention of older players being used. That has come about because the rules now say that any number of players at the SL club can be dual registered but no age limit mentioned.

It's always welcome when a definitive post like this comes along to remind us of where we are.

So it appears Keith that there has been a dropping of the U23 limit, and the system is now completely open age.

Which then leads to the question how did this come about??

An oversight? A mistake?? Deliberate?? Planned??

Well we hadn't been going five minutes when Open Age players started appearing so to me some clubs knew there was this change. Some clubs however are shouting foul after the event.

All very strange, maybe an RL journo can get to the bottom of this, or maybe our own forum johnnies on the spot Gav Wilson and Blackpool Hawk may know how this happened??

It seems to be an oversight to me that has quickly been jumped on and taken advantage of by some clubs.

York still use the system like they have all along, taking on young players with SL potential. Same with Workington and Batley.

It seems to be an oversight to me that has quickly been jumped on and taken advantage of by some clubs.

Thanks for your view Gav.

Sorry to be RFL bashing (as many don't like any reference as such on this board, but they are there to be questioned) but if it has been an oversight - it is shocking.

It really didn't take me much thought to come up with scenarios that need clarifying :

Challenge Cup eligibility

Play Offs eligibility

Northern Rail Cup finals

How do quota players and those with playing visa's count/operate

Etc, etc,

Surely, the RFL can't have made such an oversight as over-age players....???

If we accept the small pieces of PR snippets we've had - these suggest that DR was discussed/proposed/accepted months back. Surely, all this has been covered?

Or maybe as Parky has suggested its a deliberate oversight thats been gently nudged along.....

York still use the system like they have all along, taking on young players with SL potential. Same with Workington and Batley.

I agree that it wasn't an oversight. According to the RFL's version of events, concerns were raised (by them IIRC) that scrapping the U20's left nowhere for players over 23 not in the first team to play - previously they could play in the U'20's. The fact that this was discussed suggests that the age restriction was discussed and therefore removed purposely.

I agree that it wasn't an oversight. According to the RFL's version of events, concerns were raised (by them IIRC) that scrapping the U20's left nowhere for players over 23 not in the first team to play - previously they could play in the U'20's. The fact that this was discussed suggests that the age restriction was discussed and therefore removed purposely.

Maybe that is the case, I wasn't involved with York when all this happened. All I do know is that York have no intention of treating the DR system any differently to how they have over the last few years (other than the DR players all coming from one club, of course).

Maybe that is the case, I wasn't involved with York when all this happened. All I do know is that York have no intention of treating the DR system any differently to how they have over the last few years (other than the DR players all coming from one club, of course).

Yes - apologies, I misread your original post - we were in fact disagreeing! :D

I think all clubs seem to have a different view of how they want to use it, and tbh I think that should be the case as all clubs are in a different position.