Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

First it was smoking, now its drinking. What next?

44 posts in this topic

:D

That that's the spirit! Though in fact I am pretty sure we'll see S'rAlex at it if Ryan Giggs plays on Tuesday. :lol:

I was thinking more of a post-alcohol push on ...oh, I dunno....fat, sugar, salt in food, people not wearing hi-viz jackets in bed, and my favourite, all pedestrians and car drivers to wear crash helmets.

Hi-viz for cyclists to be compulsory:

http://road.cc/content/news/77369-coroner-cyclists-have-duty-other-road-users-wear-high-viz

This from a country where it is perfectly legal to drive without insurance.

Our posts may have crossed, but the research carried out by the drinks industry would contradict this. Hardened alchies will drink after-shave, but most of us will not nad decreasing the affordability of alcohol does seem to have an effect. Certainly, alcohol is far more affordable for people now than it was twenty years ago and consumption has increased accordingly.

The presentations I saw were at the Institute and Guild of Brewers, so certainly not a Government body interested in social nannying or more tax.

Yes I suppose there's a lot of truth in that too. But it is only the sensible ones that will refrain. Determined pee artists will find a way to drink.

What about when there are kids in the car?

It's ok as long as they're in the back seat and you have windows open

while i agree that people do lie about the amount they drink to there doctors, kids and anybody being arrested also lie about how much they drink, using drink as an excuse for whatever they have done.

people who say i drank 30 pints and was outta my head are liars, ask a kid has he had a drink and he will bragg that he has supped since he was 8, when he has not.

Bearing in mind how easy it is to brew the stuff yourself it would take a monumental amount of time to get "sensible drinking" sorted.

Also any policy that tries to curb our natural instincts is edging towards the wrong end of the political spectrum. The easy way to put it is, by all means legislate against public nudity but don't limit how many condoms I can buy or who I put them in.

and my favourite, all pedestrians and car drivers to wear crash helmets.

research suggest that this will save more lives than requiring cyclists to wear them

Will minimum pricing solve this? No. Do I think there is a problem with booze in our culture? Yes. Do I lie to my GP about how much I drink, underestimate how much I have and how often and what the actual risks and costs are? Oh, yes.

That question and answer format is very Nick Clegg. Please don't do it again.

Minimum pricing would reduce consumption, I think that's pretty clear. Personally I think it should be essentially impossible to buy a unit of alcohol cheaper off licence than in a pub, club or restaurant. This would solve a lot of problems.

There are a number of problems with booze in our culture. I am continually amazed by how many of my colleagues and friends sink a bottle of wine every night as a matter of course.

These days I do lie about my alchohol consumption to the doctor - I inflate it considerably. A mixture of work, the little one and generally growing up means I rarely go out much now and I never was one for drinking at home. For me drinking was really about the getting drunk and having adventures with my mates. And that has continued but become less frequent. I have probably drunk about 15 pints this year in total and 8 of those were in one night at a beer festival a fortnight back.

Bearing in mind how easy it is to brew the stuff yourself it would take a monumental amount of time to get "sensible drinking" sorted.

My experience of homebrew as a student is that few people have the stomach for it.

Me and a mate used to knock out about 80 pints of homebrew a week in the second year of uni so I speak from experience.

Being poor really is not fun.

These days I do lie about my alchohol consumption to the doctor - I inflate it considerably.

Check your notes, your doctor has probably marked you down as a fantasist.

That question and answer format is very Nick Clegg. Please don't do it again.

Shows the gap between perception and reality.

I had Bill Clinton's voice in my head when I was tying that.

Check your notes, your doctor has probably marked you down as a fantasist.

You should hear what I say when she asks about my sexual activities..

You should hear what I say when she asks about my sexual activities..

It's okay, we've all seen the YouTube.

My experience of homebrew as a student is that few people have the stomach for it.

Me and a mate used to knock out about 80 pints of homebrew a week in the second year of uni so I speak from experience.

Being poor really is not fun.

Maybe not so much the stomach, more the bowels? That yeasty sediment sure does make its presence smelt felt

Shows the gap between perception and reality.

I had Bill Clinton's voice in my head when I was tying that.

That's exactly what Nick Clegg's thinking when he talks like that.

nowt wrong with home brew i have done it for 20 years and have it down to perfection,many have asked for my brew but none can afford it :D

Apparently processed meat is bad for us (bacon, ham, salami, chorizo) but fresh red meat (including horse presumably) is ok

That's exactly what Nick Clegg's thinking when he talks like that.

He's thinking that the slings and arrows of being DPM were worth it cos he got his kid into the Oratory.