Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazza77

TRL Helpdesk: Anti-Virus Software

14 posts in this topic

As per the title really, my McAfee subscription is about to expire, so I'm on my usual "which is best" train of thought for the next however long before I renew it.

Anyone any particular recommendations for their particular anti-virus software provider?

Recently changed my computer and was advised to buy Norton. Took it off because it interfered with programmes and updates.

Back with AVG and Spybot. Both free.

I have an AVG subscription for years and I can't fault it. It updates every day and I have never had it interfere with anything.

Had AVG for years, now using windows defender.

Norton and McAfee over priced I would say.

Another vote for AVG here. The big players Norton and McAfee are both to memory hungry and no more up to date with their virus definitions than the likes of AVG etc. Big plus of course is that AVG is also free.

Another vote for AVG here. The big players Norton and McAfee are both to memory hungry and no more up to date with their virus definitions than the likes of AVG etc. Big plus of course is that AVG is also free.

Totally agree Norton and McAfee are memory huggers,cant believe people still pay for anti-anything when the web has loads of free-bees

I have an AVG subscription for years and I can't fault it. It updates every day and I have never had it interfere with anything.

This. No need to spend any money on anti virus and spyware software.

another freebee is windows essential works fine on my laptop

Microsoft Essentials is excellent and runs in the background better than any as it is not a huge program like AVG or Nortons plus its obviously more Windows compatible with being a Microsoft package.

I'm an Avast fan. Also free and you would never know its there until needed.

Runs sweetly on my machines using XP, windows 7 and 8 and an Android phone.

Kaspersky has been good for me but you do have to pay for it.

I'm an Avast fan. Also free and you would never know its there until needed.

I've had mixed results with Avast, although both were on old PCs. It worked just as you said on one machine, but pretty much slowed everything to crawl on the other every time it updated its files.

So that was probably some system conflict somewhere, which is always hard to identify and fix.

AVG works just fine for me, and has more flexible setup options than Avast (the latter may have made changes since I last used it though).

Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG wit the odd burst - probably not needed - of Spybot Search and Destroy

I installed AVG over the weekend and uninstalled McAfee. To date I haven't had any problems. Job done, cheers all for the advice.