Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Come on you Saints

Loose Forward

63 posts in this topic

The best British loose forward that I've seen doesn't play there any more.

Sam Burgess

Oh ok, I know the name though, cheers.

He was a very skilful player, great step, and good hands. Hard as well.

the greatest of them all...............................................Vince_Karalius_1208930c.jpg

Steve Ward, will captain England without doubt and one of the young stars of our game, defo a loose forward and has it all, better than sinfield was at the same age and the next best thing since Hanley at loose IMO of course !

The best British loose forward that I've seen doesn't play there any more.

Sam Burgess

spot on....hes excelled every time hes played 13 for club & country...

I recall Harry Pinner being one of the best loose forwards at distributing the ball.

Good call.

Since the descent into ridiculousness with the scrum, do we still have a unique position at 13? Without shoving and toil in a scrummage, I see no difference in second row or loose forward

Looks like Knocker. One of dozens of lads from Fev/Cas nicked by the cod heads.

Defo Knocker Norton

Knocker Norton oozed class.

This laptop keyboard is see-rapp so , first time, I actually typed 'oozed cass'. Spotted it in time, or else it could have caused a major incident.

:)

Most peoples answer to a loose forward is the link between the forwards n backs can play 2nd row, halfs n eithen centre at a push

Westerman

Sinfield

O'Loughlin

Wilkin

Bird

Ward

The aussie seem to use the loose as an extra tackling forward

Burgess

Gallen

Parker

Fenson

Next couple ov years dave peterson from hull kr will be up there when he gits bk.from ozz

Since I've been watching it is Paul Sculthorpe. Although Brad Mackey had a belter of a year in 2000 for t'Bulls.

I recall Harry Pinner being one of the best loose forwards at distributing the ball.

Without a doubt one of the best loose forwards I've seen. Nickau was another. Pinner had everything, could tackle, read the game, brilliant passer, tactical kicker. I reckon he'd still be able to do it in today's game.

the greatest of them all...............................................Vince_Karalius_1208930c.jpg

He was a very good player, along with contemporaries Derek Turner and Johnny Whiteley. (GB were spoiled for choice) Whether they're the type of 13's required today is another matter.

I don't know who that is... :unsure:

He probably doesn't know who you are either. :dry:

I've posted this try on here before, time and again I watch it and still wonder how Norton caught that pass off Mick Crane. :O

Belting sidestep past the full back and still got an offload to James Leuluai whilst have his head removed...

He probably doesn't know who you are either. :dry:

Quite. I admit it, I don't know every player who's ever played to whatever level since 1895 by face alone.

Question - could Liam Farrell be the next superstar loose forward, I like this lad, 22 and has bags of potential.

Great player, good pace, great hands and scores tries...and yeah, creates them.

Thoughts ....

No, he is more of a running second row forward. I think he'll be the best at that role in SL in the coming years, but he's not a loose in my opinion.

Steve Ward, will captain England without doubt and one of the young stars of our game, defo a loose forward and has it all, better than sinfield was at the same age and the next best thing since Hanley at loose IMO of course !

That's a bold endorsement - if he's better than Sculthorpe and Farrell, he'll be a bit special.

This thread does show a certain 'rigidity' in the way rugby league fans think about certain positions. I'd argue there is no perfect blueprint for a loose-forward: it depends what the team needs.

O'Loughlin is perfect for Wigan because he gets through a massive defensive stint, can put a nice pass out and can kick the ball if required.

Harrison or Cooper are perfect for Warrington, because they equally get through a tonne of defensive work and share the running load of the front row. That means we're often physically stronger over many teams in the last 25 minutes or so (see Hull last week).

So why do Wigan need a ball-handler there while Warrington do? I'd argue because Warrington's best player with ball-in-hand is Monaghan, while for Wigan their hooker (McIlorum) is more of a scrapper, defensive player - which is equally useful in the way Wigan line up. So while Warrington's handling core is a positions 1-6-7-9, Wigan's is 1-6-7-13. Leeds, with such a well-oiled trio of Sinfield-McGuire-Burrow, can arguably do without a fourth ball-handler and use the speed and stepping ability of Watkins and Hardaker.

Most top sides in RL have paid much more attention to delivering a quality spine to their side than they have to worrying whether player x is 'a proper scrum half' or whether player y is a 'proper loose forward'. I think this is what McNamara is trying to do too, although I'm not sure the players at his disposal have the necessary matching skill sets. For example, I've tended to argue in the past that if you want to pick Sinfield, he's not going to be nearly as effective if you don't throw in Burrow and McGuire too.

This thread does show a certain 'rigidity' in the way rugby league fans think about certain positions. I'd argue there is no perfect blueprint for a loose-forward: it depends what the team needs.

O'Loughlin is perfect for Wigan because he gets through a massive defensive stint, can put a nice pass out and can kick the ball if required.

Harrison or Cooper are perfect for Warrington, because they equally get through a tonne of defensive work and share the running load of the front row. That means we're often physically stronger over many teams in the last 25 minutes or so (see Hull last week).

So why do Wigan need a ball-handler there while Warrington do? I'd argue because Warrington's best player with ball-in-hand is Monaghan, while for Wigan their hooker (McIlorum) is more of a scrapper, defensive player - which is equally useful in the way Wigan line up. So while Warrington's handling core is a positions 1-6-7-9, Wigan's is 1-6-7-13. Leeds, with such a well-oiled trio of Sinfield-McGuire-Burrow, can arguably do without a fourth ball-handler and use the speed and stepping ability of Watkins and Hardaker.

Most top sides in RL have paid much more attention to delivering a quality spine to their side than they have to worrying whether player x is 'a proper scrum half' or whether player y is a 'proper loose forward'. I think this is what McNamara is trying to do too, although I'm not sure the players at his disposal have the necessary matching skill sets. For example, I've tended to argue in the past that if you want to pick Sinfield, he's not going to be nearly as effective if you don't throw in Burrow and McGuire too.

I agree, particularly on the Warrington point - a Lockers style player would be a luxury in a team that has playmakers at 1, 6, 7 and 9. The right balance as far as I can see is four creative ball handlers and distributors. Although I think that you might be wrong on Leeds - they used to have a fourth in Buderus and plugged the gap last season with Lunt. This season I see Ward fulfilling the fourth role, given McShane is more of a McIllorum type player than a Monaghan.

I agree, particularly on the Warrington point - a Lockers style player would be a luxury in a team that has playmakers at 1, 6, 7 and 9. The right balance as far as I can see is four creative ball handlers and distributors. Although I think that you might be wrong on Leeds - they used to have a fourth in Buderus and plugged the gap last season with Lunt. This season I see Ward fulfilling the fourth role, given McShane is more of a McIllorum type player than a Monaghan.

Yep decent point that. PMJWires believes we're desperately lacking a ball-playing loose-forward. I'd say that very few clubs can select three from the quality of Westwood-Waterhouse-Grix-McCarthy-Harrison-Cooper-Currie-Laithwaite in the back row!

Yep decent point that. PMJWires believes we're desperately lacking a ball-playing loose-forward. I'd say that very few clubs can select three from the quality of Westwood-Waterhouse-Grix-McCarthy-Harrison-Cooper-Currie-Laithwaite in the back row!

That's formidable depth despite the fact I'm not entirely sold that McCarthy and Cooper aren't average players in an otherwise very good team and squad. I see them as not dissimilar to the likes of Jonkers and Stankevitch in the old Saints teams, Tuson and Prescott at Wigan, and Kirke and Moore at Leeds.

For me ellery Hanley was the quintessential loose forward, he had pace, strength, skill and a great rugby brain, always in the right place at the right time. That said like all positions on the rugby field there isn't a one size fits all, andy Farrell and SBW spring to mind who are 6'4-6'5 in height. A loose forward IMO was always a more bulkier and physical stand off, who operated primarily out wide, while the halves where in the middle at first and second receiver.