Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Come on you Saints

Loose Forward

63 posts in this topic

For me ellery Hanley was the quintessential loose forward, he had pace, strength, skill and a great rugby brain, always in the right place at the right time. That said like all positions on the rugby field there isn't a one size fits all, andy Farrell and SBW spring to mind who are 6'4-6'5 in height. A loose forward IMO was always a more bulkier and physical stand off, who operated primarily out wide, while the halves where in the middle at first and second receiver.

Hanley played on the wing at centre and at 6 for Bradford - he moved to 13 for Wigan. I saw Hanley play for Bradford in 1984 v Fev at Odsal - Bradford won 27-10 - Hanley scored 17 points - in other words he was the difference. He could play anywhere. He'd still be great today IMO.

Quite. Westerman still has potential.

Perhaps it's a criticism of the general british mentality rather than of Joe personally the way we regard players of his age & experience as 'youngsters'.

Wish I was 23 again :(

Hanley played on the wing at centre and at 6 for Bradford - he moved to 13 for Wigan. I saw Hanley play for Bradford in 1984 v Fev at Odsal - Bradford won 27-10 - Hanley scored 17 points - in other words he was the difference. He could play anywhere. He'd still be great today IMO.

It was Graham Lowe that moved Hanley to 13 though he had started at 6 at Wigan, it was a master stroke, it was by far his best position and for me he was the finest loose I have ever seen.

140.jpg

That is all.....

I had the honour of training with Knocker at Hull FC, he would be out running up and down the terracing at the Boulevard half an hour before anyone else had left the changing rooms on training nights & would finish his warm up with a veriety of sprints.

I still marvel at how he would get the ball away under extreme pressure and drink so many beers and still walk.

I

He was a very good player, along with contemporaries Derek Turner and Johnny Whiteley. (GB were spoiled for choice) Whether they're the type of 13's required today is another matter.

In this era one of the roles of the loose was to protect his scrum-half and these guys did it very well :)

post-22852-0-34691100-1362348953_thumb.jpg

I thought Wayne Pierce and Ray Price were great loose forwards from the Invincibles era.

Nz's Mark Graham was also a good un

I thought Wayne Pierce and Ray Price were great loose forwards from the Invincibles era.

Nz's Mark Graham was also a good un

I was a big fan of Ray Price, the guy was a machine.

Many years ago I saw a very young Malcolm Reilly come out of nowhere and mastermind a Cas victory over Australia. Even though he was an unknown at that point, it was obvious a star was born in the loose forward position.

Didnt Steve Norton show Mal Reilly the ropes at Cas ?

Probably the other way round

Yep decent point that. PMJWires believes we're desperately lacking a ball-playing loose-forward. I'd say that very few clubs can select three from the quality of Westwood-Waterhouse-Grix-McCarthy-Harrison-Cooper-Currie-Laithwaite in the back row!

aye.

Id also argue the point that Grix is a ball playing 13.

I always though Brad Fittler was a good Lock when he was played there.