See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castleford Hawk

Greatest Centres

48 posts in this topic

Gary Kemble takes the fullback berth with Richie Baker on standby- anything to keep the peace.

We now need a couple of centres to complete the back line. I'm nominating Phil Tate for one of them. A great turn of pace for such a big man. (Plus I went to school with him, a really nice lad and fellow Hunslet fan).

Mick Coult & Shaun Irwin in my time

peter roe always gave 100 % but mick coult also was fab.what about eric kibe cant remember if he played centre or full back.lol

Wayne McHugh, Kibe played both Kev.

A few old names - Gary Senior. Colin Penola. Steve Nicholson. Herbie Moore. I liked Phil Tate as well

Always rated Penola and Paul Beath, wait for the King to mention Mike Petchey.

Hard to nail 2 down again!! Herbie Moore & Paul beath deffo in there somewhere!! Eric kibe was a legend!! I rated highly iain higgins, very good technical player, his defence was awesome!! I'll also let king sum up wes mcgibbon :-)

Bartliff was a winger as far as I can remember?? Alan Daniel was he the tall 1 with the really long head??!!

from what ive seen of him so far can i mention Jimmy Keinhorst, technically not our player but still played centre for us.Hawkeye is correct Mike Petchey was a beast and is worth a mention, tbh weve had a lack of centres down the years, Phil Tate would be up there, for sheer try scoring ability Q,y though wins hands down.

young mycoe, McGibbon was absolute pants, on a par with Danny Dobson.

Pechey... big fat lazy overweight...!! You seem to like players with those characteristics king ;-)

How good was jimmy Irvine?? I can remember him but not too well!!

How about George Clarke from the 70's. Also we had a New Zealander called Jordon (can't recall his first name) who played a season at the Greyhound Stadium and was pretty classy. Another from that era was Steve Parish who could also kick goals.

correct pudsey about The Peach, 3 great calls from coventry hawk.George Clark was a brilliant centre, Jordan was a full kiwi international centre who we never got the best out of due to injury and a terrible winter when he had to go home in march and half the games had been postponed.Parrish was much in the mould of Richard Knight a tall centre about 6ft 4in and like Knighty could kick goals from anywhere.George Clark wins it for me, this kid Keinhorst is special though...

George Clark worked , and was a friend of my dad's. I had one of his old shirts.

Having said that , cannot remember him as a player.

For me Ian Higgins, Mike Petchy best centres.

Dean Booth. Stuart Smith

Stuart Smith was a Second Row player , cannot remember him playing centre ?. Still a an underrated great player though.

correct pudsey about The Peach, 3 great calls from coventry hawk.George Clark was a brilliant centre, Jordan was a full kiwi international centre who we never got the best out of due to injury and a terrible winter when he had to go home in march and half the games had been postponed.Parrish was much in the mould of Richard Knight a tall centre about 6ft 4in and like Knighty could kick goals from anywhere.George Clark wins it for me, this kid Keinhorst is special though...

True , Keinhurst is a special player

True , Keinhurst is a special player

Sorry Keinhorst

Smithy started at centre and was pretty average. Moved into the forwards and became a revelation. Nicknamed the Mad Farmer he would mix it with anyone.

George Clark is an interesting one. I know he played at parkside but did he come to the Greyhound stadium or was he with Hull then?

I remember him playing for Hull and he was a class act.

George came into the team in the latter days of Parkside then i beleive transfered to Hull but did come to us again at the Greyhound Stadium under New Hunslet.Stuart Smith blimey he could start a ruck in an empty room, always looking for a scrap with anyone who was near.For sheer try scoring ability though Wayne McHugh takes some beating even though most were scored in championship 1.