Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE RED ROOSTER

Female announcers on Channel Nine - What about SKY ?

32 posts in this topic

Nine have a 31 year old Female Journalist doing Brisbane Broncos games

http://www.dailytele...r-1226589103815

Given that the broad consensus is that SKY's Super League Coverage needs freshening up, What would be wrong with letting Angela Powers do the Eddie Hemmings role?.

After all this would reach out to the majority of the UK population and as for the argument that you have to have played the game to broadcast about it there are numerous examples in all sports within the UK of former players who might have been good at playing their sport but certainly did not understand it very well or if they did are unable to explain themselves and the sport properly to the viewer.

So would this be a positve step or cause a storm in a D-cup ?

Discuss

So would this be a positve step or cause a storm in a D-cup ?

Discuss

I was actually going to formulate a reasonable answer, until I read this tired, lazy, somewhat derogatory cliche. Now I can't be ars*d.

It's a good move, RL is seen as a family game in the Uk isn't it? Makes sense to have a female commentator.

I was actually going to formulate a reasonable answer, until I read this tired, lazy, somewhat derogatory cliche. Now I can't be ars*d.

Precious much?

Just to be clear, we are already quite used to female hosts in this country. Clare Balding having been the main presenter for live Challenge Cup and international matches until switching networks, while Tanya Arnold has presented some live matches and currently hosts the Super League Show. On BBC Radio York Sharon Shortle has provided the commentary on York City Knight matches. And doesn't Natalie Quirk take on the hosting duties for Premier Sports when Dave Woods is away? She definitely host their 7s coverage last year.

But well done Australia.

I remember the ripple of news when MoTD started to have a female commentator, I don't see the fuss myself. I'm all for it, but not for tokenist reasons.

It's a good move, RL is seen as a family game in the Uk isn't it? Makes sense to have a female commentator.

She's not commentating though. She's presenting, like Clare Balding has done for many years on the BBC. Ground breaking stuff for Australia though.

Good God know. Angela Powers is awful. How someone with so much clear bias towards Warrington is allowed to be a neutral journalist on a TV station is beyond me.

Clare Baldwin did a good job on BBC. I'd have her on Sky. But Powers is one of many of the Sky team that needs to go.

It has long been said that we need to change our image from the gruff, male, Northern stereotype. I have myself advocated more female commentators and even suggested we look to the USA for new blood, as it would give us a new accent, new spin and perhaps some new ideas.

It has long been said that we need to change our image from the gruff, male, Northern stereotype. I have myself advocated more female commentators and even suggested we look to the USA for new blood, as it would give us a new accent, new spin and perhaps some new ideas.

It'll be interesting when interviewing Steve Menzies... "This isn't your first time playing rugby is it?" "Have you been playing long?"

No thanks, the sexist outpourings when Powers did those pieces on SL stadia were embarrassing enough for exposing the antiquated attitudes still present in rugby league.

Good God know. Angela Powers is awful. How someone with so much clear bias towards Warrington is allowed to be a neutral journalist on a TV station is beyond me.

Clare Baldwin did a good job on BBC. I'd have her on Sky. But Powers is one of many of the Sky team that needs to go.

You been drinking Wellsy?

some new ideas.

Something different?

A chip over the top perhaps?

Something different?

A chip over the top perhaps?

It might even be better than one on the shoulder? ;)

No thanks, the sexist outpourings when Powers did those pieces on SL stadia were embarrassing enough for exposing the antiquated attitudes still present in rugby league.

Let's not be too unfair on rugby league here - wherever women have the audacity to present anything related to sport so you will find comments from the knuckle draggers.

It'll be interesting when interviewing Steve Menzies... "This isn't your first time playing rugby is it?" "Have you been playing long?"

A real precedent for this, albeit not in RL. :D

She would be going some to rival Phil "Come on Wigan!" Clarke.

Well yes but she did give Warrington an A because they had great baby changing facilities...

A real precedent for this, albeit not in RL. :D

When I said american, she wasn't quite what I had in mind. How did she ever get a job like that? Has she been sacked?

I'm sure there are some articulate american females who would do their homework and rid us of our stereotyped image once and for all. Well, it was a thought. :blush:

Well yes but she did give Warrington an A because they had great baby changing facilities...

Yes, and parking is easy at Warrington. All you need to do is know where the park and ride is (conveniently located to her), and bypass the near-stadium parking issues...

Sorry, I won't go on! It was bad. Time to move on!

Yes, and parking is easy at Warrington. All you need to do is know where the park and ride is (conveniently located to her), and bypass the near-stadium parking issues...

Sorry, I won't go on! It was bad. Time to move on!

no park and ride ever needed at Warrington. Ive never understood any of the parking complaints about Wire - there are literally thousands of spaces within 5 minutes of the ground - most free. Also the park and ride (b&q) is literally on the motorway junction which suits all fans. I see no reason to use it mind.

Maybe the rating was fair?