Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terrywebbisgod

The Salford revolution has begun

201 posts in this topic

Another risk with this is suddenly agents spotting an opportunity to tout their players even more to Union knowing that they have an opportunity to get more money from a SL club.

Like I say, I support something changing in principle - we just need to be very careful here, as a seemingly minor change could have a big impact.

yes you're probably right there. Hmm, counfound it.

Still, I dont think the salary cap has worked - clubs are still skint, you know before the season starts which strata of the table individual clubs will be in when it finishes. If it's to stop them going bust then it doesnt work, if it's to create a level playing field between the 14 clubs then it doesnt work. There does need to be regulation to stop utter madness but something needs to be done to create interest out there and I'm behind Daddy Warbucks Koukash all the way.

I'll let someone much wiser than me work out the knotty details, I'm just a pleb on t'net!

Don't we already have an extra allowance for marquee players? I thought Tomkins was on it

It's lovely that everyone is willing to offer their advice and support to little old Salford at this time.

Ultimately though, only one person's opinion matters (no, not you, Parky! ;)) and that's the Dr himself.

It's his money, his club and if he wants to splash that cash on his team and tread on a few toes in the process then that's his prerogative.

I don't recall this concern when the likes of Wigan, Wires, Leeds etc were picking the bones off our husk of a club.

I think you've got a point Dave, be interesting to see how Salford pans out.

For me I look back at Wigan under Whelan, racing through coaches, splashing out transfer fees, spending up to the cap, running the club at a loss (from memory). Where as his sucessor, runs the club at a profit, made a shrewd coach appointment, landed two trophies (plus a hub cap), when his hand was forced replaced the coach from within and it served him pretty well last season.

Good luck to Salford, I'm sure there's loads of stories in this and I hope there new owner finds success and establishes Salford as a force, rather than see him become Super Leagues equivalent to Des Johnson.

Even though Johnston cheated, the one thing he did though was get people in the ground, that is what Koukash has to do. How did he get people to watch Barrow, he bought a winning team.

Koukash has to do what Johnston did but obviously without breaking the rules. When Johnston was signing players he created headlines within the town, people were talking about the club people wanted to see what was happening the floaters attended games. We got to 3,000 crowds at the back end of 09 season.

Johnston is an example which can obviously get slated to death as he is an idiot but the principle in getting people into the ground is exactly what Koukash has to do. But do it legally and more sustainably to what dessie did. If he has to throw money about and create headlines to get people into the ground so be it. He hasn't broken any rules and how much money has he spent so far? None yet we are all talking about them

I don't think getting an academy structure first is the way forward for Salford, they've got a massive area to tap into and the best way to do that is with a winning side.

We already have a strong academy but unfortunately other clubs have benefitted more than us at times.

Which of the current leading clubs based its initial resurgence on homegrown talent?

We already have a strong academy but unfortunately other clubs have benefitted more than us at times.

Which of the current leading clubs based its initial resurgence on homegrown talent?

Murray bought in a team at the start of the Leeds revival, as did McRae at Saints and Smith at Warrington.

Aside from the possible exception of Wigan, most of the current big boys had to buy success initially and then augment their winning teams with homegrown talent.

Murray bought in a team at the start of the Leeds revival, as did McRae at Saints and Smith at Warrington.

Aside from the possible exception of Wigan, most of the current big boys had to buy success initially and then augment their winning teams with homegrown talent.

Salford will have to buy plenty of players there is no doubt about that.

Every succesful team has had to buy players, therefore a team even Wigan - Carmont, Leaulei, Finch etc weren't from St Pats.

Jon Molloy signs for Salford on a 3-year deal from Huddersfield.

He was a free agent.

Not sure what to make of this at all.

He was a free agent.

Thats all you're going to get at this stage in the season, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're in the same situation this time next year, then be worried.

Good luck to Molloy.

He was unlucky with injuries at Hudds.

He was a free agent.

Oh I read he'd negotiated a release from his Huddersfield contract, naymind.

yes you're probably right there. Hmm, counfound it.

Still, I dont think the salary cap has worked - clubs are still skint,

The cap stopped being about stopping clubs from going broke when the clubs themselves voted to scrap the percentage of income rule.

The good Doctor has been at it again, he's asking for Salford to be given a £500k extension to the Salary cap for two years to help rebuild the club.

He won't get it, but its another controversial, sit up and listen pronouncement.

The good Doctor has been at it again, he's asking for Salford to be given a £500k extension to the Salary cap for two years to help rebuild the club.

He won't get it, but its another controversial, sit up and listen pronouncement.

He's the Doctor who cried Wolf.

If he came up with an actual good idea now nobody would listen.

Is it that unreasonable a request? Clubs in Oz can carry over left over salary cap space into the next season.

Salford have operated on a sub-50% cap for years and were mercilessly asset stripped last year.

Is it that unreasonable a request? Clubs in Oz can carry over left over salary cap space into the next season.

Salford have operated on a sub-50% cap for years and were mercilessly asset stripped last year.

I think that was his point.

He's the Doctor who cried Wolf.

If he came up with an actual good idea now nobody would listen.

He's the guy that knows that Salford need a higher profile and he's generating it.

He may actually have a very good point, as a new owner, in serious need to build a competitive side, if he is willing to unconditionally pay from his own pocket for two years an extra £500k in wages to turn the club around then why not.

I am not in general in favour of a raise in the cap at the moment, but its an interesting idea that if you save a club you should be rewarded by making it easier to entice top players in the short term to the club.

The only stipulation should be that it is from his own pocket and unconditional.

At least he's asked about upping the salary cap for a period of time, some clubs have done it previously whihout asking.

At least he's asked about upping the salary cap for a period of time, some clubs have done it previously whihout asking.

Ouch.

Yes, Saints have been convicted more times than anyone of breaching the cap.

Yes, Saints have been convicted more times than anyone of breaching the cap.

Indeed they have, plus some other ex super league champions and FC

Indeed they have, plus some other ex super league champions and FC

i believe one club once got done for breaking the spirit of the cap, but then had to have a cap extension the following season after the RFL realised they had cocked up. Like you I'm a bit forgetful about who I'm talking about.

There are unsubstantiated rumours of some very dodgy practices going on at a recent CC winning club, but I couldn't possibly comment.

PMJ and Padge, you two are like Morecambe and Wise. Except I can't work out which one is the straight man and which the comedian. :P