Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

The BBC has dumped Hugh Porter as its Cycling Commentator

11 posts in this topic

I noticed he wasn't doing the World Championships the other week. One of the best commentators in any sport, replaced by Simon Brotherton, who's okay, but not in the same league. The complains during the Olympics were purely down to the TV company contracted to cover the road race, who messed up with information that never erached the commentary box.

If it's the gravelly voiced fella who got really excited over Team GB at many Olympic Games then that's a shame, I liked him!

If it's the gravelly voiced fella who got really excited over Team GB at many Olympic Games then that's a shame, I liked him!

That's the guy. Also a distinguished racer in his own right (4 World Titles), and his wife (who does stats for him during commentary) is former Olympic Gold medallist Anita Lonsbrough.

That's the guy. Also a distinguished racer in his own right (4 World Titles), and his wife (who does stats for him during commentary) is former Olympic Gold medallist Anita Lonsbrough.

I think it won't be long until the BBC change their mind.

I think it won't be long until the BBC change their mind.

I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure.

Brotherton will be cheaper as he's year-round at the beeb doing multiple sports.

The BBC has to save money.

they could start by having fair recruitment policies, proper employment contracts, and end to its 'reward for failure' policy and never ever ever ever giving any money to Russell Brand, not even as a bribe to stay away.

The Ray French of cycling.

Ultimately respected and a font of all knowledge and experience, but no longer quick enough to call a live event

Excellent at explaining whats happening during a points race, kierin or somesuch, maybe still has a future for track events?

Much easier to listen to than Eurosports resident expert

they could start by having fair recruitment policies, proper employment contracts, and end to its 'reward for failure' policy and never ever ever ever giving any money to Russell Brand, not even as a bribe to stay away.

it wasn't you on the receiving end of that phone call that time was it? :unsure:

nope! Fortunately, I am not on the talentless jerk's radar. :lol: