Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longboard

ASADA Circling Sharks

18 posts in this topic

So if no players have failed a drugs test and the evidence is the word of Stephen Dank and club paperwork, it'll be interesting to see which, if any, players sign the supposed confessions. If they all decided as a group not to sign this would likely develop into the biggest on-running disaster for the game.

The truth must out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 players have been cited and the "advice" is for them to be voluntarily stood down for 6 months,or face a bigger two year ban. All betting has been suspended for the game with the Titans,so it`s not a good start for season which kicks off tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been reported that as many as 14 NRL players contracted at the club since 2011, when Dank worked at the club, are implicated in the investigation.

According to Rothfield, there may be two different groups of players in question at the Sharks - some who ceased contact with Dank after he was sacked, and some who continued seeing the sports scientist at his Bankstown practice.

"Now that's where we might be dealing with two groups of players at Cronulla," Rothfield said on 2GB radio on Thursday morning.

"I think it's been established that most of them, like Essendon, were given drugs, they trusted their medical staff and they weren't illegal at the time.

"Shane Flanagan got rid of Stephen Dank. But he had a surgery in Bankstown - and a number of NRL players, not just from Cronulla - continued to go and see him.

One of the players who did not continue to see Dank at his surgery was Paul Gallen.

There's speculation that the drugs taken were not on the banned list at the time.

The turmoil at Sharks is compounded by the fact that club chairman Damian Irvine is abroad and they have no CEO at the club. What a lot of us want to know is if the line-up announced earlier in the week will be taking the field on Sunday when they take on the Titans.

The players were reportedly told they would remain employed by the club during a six-month ban.

There are reports that if Sharks players are suspended they may sue the club, claiming if they did take banned substances they did so unknowingly.

The report said Sharks players were given Thymosin Beta 4 and CJC-1295 peptides during the 2011 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile on a different stretch of beach ? A nasty rumour grows.

its only a rumour but a strong 1.. Club set to be stripped of premierships.. a insider turned on the club.. i do no the name but im not posting public.. this will most likely happen next week if it does happen..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No team name mentioned above, but I came across that rumour too.I guess most readers can put two and two together and come up with a some seaside birds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Old news mate

Pretty sad to see tabloid hacks like Rothfield taken seriously by people o/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gallen says full strength side will take field playing for stood down coach and sacked support staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like NRL wanted to jump into action over ASADA information.

The talk of standing players down etc looks to have been a bit too hasty in the first instance as when asked to name names and give evidence ASADA have said they are not in a position to do so as the investigation is ongoing.

In the meantime the Sharkies BOD has 'dropped' the coach and fired some staff.

Perhaps a more mature 'wait and see'/'weigh things up' approach would have been better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling this is the start of a long running NRL debacle & the ARLC are hanging back and feeding fuel to a fire they want to simmer rather than blow up in the media ?

Today's mention that Sharks 'coach n co' got stood down / sacked due to 'failing to inform the club that players got injected with 'horse medicine' ' ?

Wonder how that relates to 'calf blood' ? and was the same person involved ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the Players get over the shock and then get a co ordinated Legal response going, ASADA are going to be circled by another type of Shark who will certainly take fiscal lumps out of them.

The Hacks are just enjoying the feeding frenzy, as usual truth will be secondary to headlines and oneliners (Sun Journalism at its height)

The Sharks board will be changed very shortly after their brown trouser response to unsubstantiated allegations!

More fun in weeks to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a loud trumpeting of the alleged problem, ASADA is now having to come up with facts and proof to back everything up. The headlines grabbed by them and politicians early on seem a long way back now. According to what I've read today it could be another month before the Sharks part of their investigations comes to some sort of conclusion. The wider investigations into the sport will presumably then take an absolute age. Headline grabbing politicians and organisations should perhaps do their work first and then announce their results when they have them with the necessary proof. I guess that's too much to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the TVNZ news tonight.

"All clubs are co-operating except the Sharks"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are taking almost all of the flak.

It did seem ridiculous though to ask some of their players to plead guilty and take a 6 month penalty without clear charges being made against individuals.

Looks like they just threw accusations generally in the air and asked for volunteers to step forward and help the accusers out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASADA now appear to have changed tack. Apart from their general concerns at Sharkies they are now turning to individuals rather than clubs.

They appear to want to interview about 30 individual players to help them with their enquiries. Despite their statement that their requesting an interview with someone doesn't mean they are necessarily guilty I guess nobody would want to be on their list and if names do get out then pressure on them will be pretty big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.