Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keith Nutter

Steve Clark RIP

Keith Nutter    11

Press Release

(From Keith Nutter – Barrow RFC Media and Communications Director)

It was with great sadness that I learned that Steve Clark had died on Monday of this week after a long and brave battle against a brain tumour.

Steve was just 42 years old and leaves a wife (Jennifer) and two young children (Olivia and Max). The deepest sympathies of everybody connected with the club – directors, players, coaches and supporters – go to Jennifer, Olivia and Max and also to Steve’s parents Roger and Sandra and the rest of Steve’s family and close friends.

I still feel numb as I write this for I had got to know Steve well in recent years through our mutual love of Barrow RFC.

Steve and I first met back in 2009 when I launched the club’s Development Fund and he contacted me offering to help. From then on there wasn’t a week passed without Steve sending me an idea to help promote the fund or to help improve the club. He was a very quiet lad but had some great ideas and he always presented them well indicating he obviously put a lot of thought into them. Steve was also a regular contributor the (Total RL) Barrow forum and his posts were always well worth a read.

Back in November 2011 Steve put his name forward for a place on the Board of Directors but pulled out shortly before the elections when he learned he was poorly. He would have been a shoe in to get elected, I have no doubts about that, and I also know that he would have been a major asset to the club with his skills and great ideas.

Steve worked as a Senior Publications Engineer in the shipyard, mainly involved in database management for electronic publications. His expertise in the field of publications was there for all to see in the hundreds of posters he produced to promote Raiders’ matches and the Development Fund. His posters were stunning that is for sure and did much to help promote the club and many are on display in the corridor leading up to the Lewthwaite Suite where we nowadays hold our board meetings.

My enduring memory of Steve will be from last November, when his second operation was imminent. My wife was also due to undergo a big operation around the same time and, despite his own worries, he took the time to text me to wish Tricia well with her operation. Sadly that was the last contact I had with Steve.

I’m going to miss our chats.

RIP mate and God Bless.

A minute’s applause will be held in Steve’s memory immediately prior to kick off for the match against Dewsbury at Craven Park on Sunday.

Steve’s funeral is on Monday 11th March at Barrow Crematorium at 1.45pm.

Michael Ashton    103

I'm so sorry to hear the news Keith. I had a number of chats with Steve and when we met enjoyed his company when we met.

RIP Steve. I'm sorry I cannot make the match on Sunday and being away for the week will miss the funeral.

STW    16

Very sad news indeed.

My deepest thoughts to Steve's family and friends.

morty    213

condolences to Steves family and friends...sad times.

Lee

Keith T    361

I didn't know Steve other than his posts on here but my condolences to his family and friends. RIP

Marsh    0

Condolences to Steves family and friends...a true gentleman who was a delight to talk to and a real Raiders Fan

Great of the Club to offer the minutes applause

Holty Snr    0

Some of you may not know Steve was responsible over a number of years for the design of the Barrow Match Day poster which quickly became a collectors item for Barrow fans. Some of the ones he did before his illness hang proudly on the stairway to the Lewthwaite Suite, I have saved the ones he produced for last season and hope to hang these in the Hospitality Boxes as a lasting memory to a tireless worker, a true Raiders rugby supporter and family man. He will be missed, my condolences go to his wife Jennifer and family at this time.

soss    117

Very sad news..spoken to him many times and I know he will be missed on here. My condolences to all his family and I will be there on the 11th to celebrate the life he fought so hard to keep.

RIP Steve

Mike and family...

Phil. K    4

Some of the ones he did before his illness hang proudly on the stairway to the Lewthwaite Suite, I have saved the ones he produced for last season and hope to hang these in the Hospitality Boxes as a lasting memory to a tireless worker, a true Raiders rugby supporter and family man.

Sound like a great idea Keith a fitting memorial for Steve

holty    4

Can I echo all the sentiments previous.........a true gentleman, a true supporter and you will be truely missed mate.

All our thoughts I'm sure are with Steves family.

FOB    1

Top man will be missed by many, R.I.P Steve.

Bluenwhite    0

Steve & I used to travel to all away games together. I was absolutely gutted to hear such sad news.

Condolences to Steve's wife and children & family. A true fan of Barrow Rugby League for as long as I can remember. RIP Steve you won't be forgotten.

Regards Tez

goudie    2

A Very well respected fan of the Raiders, We used to have a craic regularly at the Rugger, Talking about this and that.

Condolences to his Wife and Kids, And Mam and Dad.

Na night and God Bless ya Mate.!!

Ian Goude.

Jonty    117

Very upset to hear this. There's not a lot to say other than echo the thoughts of everyone else on here.

Steve was a sound bloke who, as Keith Nutter has already said, was always prepared to go the extra mile to help the club. He was always a good crack on matchday, and didn't just share the vision that many have for Barrow Rugby, but contributed to it.

Condolences to his family.

RIP Steve.

John Thomason