Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Northern Rail Cup - Week 2

Which game are you most looking forward to?   20 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most looking forward to?

• Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders
    • Gloucestershire All Golds v South Wales Scorpions
    • London Skolars v Hemel Stags
    • Oldham v Rochdale Hornets

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 posts in this topic

Hemel may have lost but that's an encouraging result aqainst a team that have beaten some of the clubs now in the Championship.

Hemel may have lost but that's an encouraging result aqainst a team that have beaten some of the clubs now in the Championship.

Agreed, a better result than their friendly against Gateshead. Respectable.

Possibly. The pitch was a real gluepot yesterday and the ref had a far more leniant interpretation of holding down than the bloke who did the Gateshead friendly. Hemel were pretty unimaginative going forward and didn't seem to possess a quality kicking game. Having said that it was a gutsy performance from them and they defended well from beginning to end. The floodgates could have opened when they were 26-0 ndown after 60 minutes, but they didn't concede again after that point.

Skolars got 350. Oldham vs Rochdale got 518.

I daresay all sides will get more than they did today later in the season but I think the All-Golds will struggle.

Skolars are established and Oldham v Rochdale crowd was poor for them, not that many people around Oldham and Rochdale would care too much about England RU. In Cheltenham, they're all RU mad and this was a new club. That was the perspective. I don't think they'll get a gate that low again this season, more like the one the week before.

Skolars are established and Oldham v Rochdale crowd was poor for them, not that many people around Oldham and Rochdale would care too much about England RU. In Cheltenham, they're all RU mad and this was a new club. That was the perspective. I don't think they'll get a gate that low again this season, more like the one the week before.

The gate that was made up? They'll be counting the players, caterers and support staff next, but it's been done before.

256 according to the web at Glos vs Hemel.

Yes, though given it was yours truly entering the data, after a conversation with the other journalist in attendance, I wouldn't say it was 100 per cent accurate.

Decent game, though - entertaining, some good tries, a bit of biff, a chance to see a couple of ex Sonics playing for the All Golds etc. Hemel worthy winners - they were notably better in the forwards. The All Golds look a bit small.

why was the gate at All Golds v Stags made up? I was there and 200+ was what it looked like and 200+ was what it was. Several got in for free by just wandering in so if anything it was 'made up' beneath what it was in actuality.

As for the Skolars crowd..........wasnt it 521??? Where's this 300 odd figure taken from?

I see that's from the BBC - either planted there by an RFU or Heartlander "Expansion will never work,let's give up" mole. The official attendance as given by both the Skolars and League Express was 521. Oldham & Rochdale....hang your heads in shame!

Quite, and, if anything, i'd be more worried about future of Oldham and Rochdale based upon yesterday's crowds. I'm under the impression that Gloucestershire are a low-cost outfit based largely on their student team, and if the guy who is behind it is confident that they'll thrive then hopefully they'll be okay.

After speaking to Lionel Hurst today before and after the game , i'm sure they won't ,give them a chance as they are only 2 games into the season and lessons been learnt as a new club and lets see what happens as the season unfolds. i certainly never envisaged when i moved down here in 97 that there would be a semi professional club within 40 mins drive of where i live.

Without giving away anything said in confidence, can you indicate what makes you confident about their life in the division?

Sincerely hope that they do okay as I think it is an innovative approach to creating a club in an expansion area.

something has to be done about Oldham's ground. I know it was all they could cobble together but in my one and only visit I was somewhat dismayed! I'm sure lots of Oldham folk have been talked into going back to see their local club after several years absence, taken one look at it and thought "jeeeeeeesus H Christ, so it's come to this" and never returned. I'm sure more than a few Hornets fans who've already been there gave their local derby the swerve on the strength of it. A real pity, here's hoping the ground either miraculously gets up to scratch or they're miraculously given somewhere better to play within the town.

I see that's from the BBC - either planted there by an RFU or Heartlander "Expansion will never work,let's give up" mole. The official attendance as given by both the Skolars and League Express was 521. Oldham & Rochdale....hang your heads in shame!

Indeed (if as seems likely) 521 is accurate then Oldham and Rochdale clubs ought to be ashamed. Excellent from London & Hemel.

something has to be done about Oldham's ground. I know it was all they could cobble together but in my one and only visit I was somewhat dismayed! I'm sure lots of Oldham folk have been talked into going back to see their local club after several years absence, taken one look at it and thought "jeeeeeeesus H Christ, so it's come to this" and never returned. I'm sure more than a few Hornets fans who've already been there gave their local derby the swerve on the strength of it. A real pity, here's hoping the ground either miraculously gets up to scratch or they're miraculously given somewhere better to play within the town.

As a small sample: three out of my usual away regulars carful of five said they weren't going to Whitebank because they 'weren't paying eleven quid to go and stand in a sh*thole like that where you can't see anything" (unquote one of them), another away regular also ducked because 'You can't see all of the game', two of our most loyal home and awayers said 'We're not going because we object to paying good money to go and stand in a bl**dy field'. Julie's hubby John ducked at the death because 'it's bl**dy freezing and there's no cover". Another mate ducked because "One visit a season to that tip is enough for anyone - so I'll go at Easter when it's stopped snowing".

I went. I concur with all of my friends. It's the second worst Rugby League viewing experience on the planet (trumped only by the horizontal rain and swampy conditions of Bury Broncos' pitch - which is a school field).

Indeed (if as seems likely) 521 is accurate then Oldham and Rochdale clubs ought to be ashamed. Excellent from London & Hemel.

Still more than Hunslet v Whitehaven and York v Workington in the division above.

Quite, and, if anything, i'd be more worried about future of Oldham and Rochdale based upon yesterday's crowds. I'm under the impression that Gloucestershire are a low-cost outfit based largely on their student team, and if the guy who is behind it is confident that they'll thrive then hopefully they'll be okay.

This is real life at this level MH. 500+ will be the benchmark this year.

As a small sample: three out of my usual away regulars carful of five said they weren't going to Whitebank because they 'weren't paying eleven quid to go and stand in a sh*thole like that where you can't see anything" (unquote one of them), another away regular also ducked because 'You can't see all of the game', two of our most loyal home and awayers said 'We're not going because we object to paying good money to go and stand in a bl**dy field'. Julie's hubby John ducked at the death because 'it's bl**dy freezing and there's no cover". Another mate ducked because "One visit a season to that tip is enough for anyone - so I'll go at Easter when it's stopped snowing".

I went. I concur with all of my friends. It's the second worst Rugby League viewing experience on the planet (trumped only by the horizontal rain and swampy conditions of Bury Broncos' pitch - which is a school field).

Now you know what it's like for Hull fans going to Craven Park.

The gate that was made up? They'll be counting the players, caterers and support staff next, but it's been done before.

This time round they had a clicker on the gate, so I got the exact figure. To be fair, there were around 250 there and I got one of the Sonics committee members, who attends All Golds games, to count the number of people in the stand yesterday, just to double check.

This is real life at this level MH. 500+ will be the benchmark this year.

Do you think Hornets are cutting their cloth accordingly? At least they have the prospect of escape which, sadly, Oldham might not have (I'm assuming there are ground standards for the Championship).

No more than 250 at Skolars v Hemel. Why lie about crowds?

Is that an official statement from the Hemel club?

No more than 250 at Skolars v Hemel. Why lie about crowds?

Is this the thing about whether to include season ticket holders that aren't present?

Otherwise why would Skolars claim 521?

there were about 150 sold in advance which is the highest presales other than Cap Cha and FNL. certainly Hemel brought only a few so 521 was a very good effort.

Do you think Hornets are cutting their cloth accordingly? At least they have the prospect of escape which, sadly, Oldham might not have (I'm assuming there are ground standards for the Championship).

Yes, budgets this season are tighter than ever, but we battle on.

Now you know what it's like for Hull fans going to Craven Park.

I've been to Craven Park a lot of times. Compared to Whitebank, it's the bernabeu.

Hearing reports back from players today that there wasn't enough water for the whole team to shower after the game at Oldham on Sunday. It was a bitterly cold day and the very least the lads could expect would be to get clean and warm after the game.

I wasnt there on Sunday but if there were 250 at Skolars then that would mean 3 out of 4 of those 'plush' seats they have in that stand were empty. Was that the case? That's unless they're lying about the amount of seats they have as well. ;-)