Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingking

Nigel Wood- London must improve

355 posts in this topic

There you go again with the insults. Fortuntately Clem's dead so can't sue. Everyone knows that Union was covertly pro in Wales, perhaps not so much in the other home nations,but you could get yourself a nice sinecure on the back of an international cap. I seem to recall John Scott, an Englishman who played for Cardiff signing for one of the top French Union sides and finding himself running a bar in - was Brive? The big attraction for Union players signing for League was the tax free "compensation for loss of amateur status" they got.

I've no doubt top players in the UK were looking at Australia, NZ and SA where they knew their contemporaries were getting big bucks from the scarcely veiled professional Unions there. Wasn't it Campese who was the highest paid Union player in the world?

Clem Thomas and others like him wanted to maintain the status quo because presumably they feared that if Union went openly pro many of the top clubs wouldn't be able to sustain the cost. Certainly in Wales it appears he was right and to a lesser extent in England - as I posted earlier its not that long since Orrell dominated Union. The Underwoods, Les Cusworth, Brian Barley, and Mike Harrison all turned out for Wakefield in the fairly recent past. Neither club exsists today.

To get back to the point, continuing to play in winter was never tried. It's true we have freak weather at the moment, it's also true that under either regime we'd be playing at the moment. Last year at this time it was 20 degrees. The same could be said for Autumn 2011 - one of the mildest on record but the regular season was over. In May 1979 the week of the CC Final, I had a week off work, to paint the outside of my house and to go to Wembley - it snowed. As I posted originally - I don't see the big advantage of the switch. I don't advocate a switch back, although playing the GF at Old Trafford on a balmy May evening does sound more attractive than last October in the p i s s i n g rain.

so he says that union should remain amateur, when in fact it wasn't, and that 'everyone knew' taht it wasn't: and you consider my comments an 'insult', to compound matters you say he considered it to be a good thing, on top of which you agree with this.

whilst all this hypoctisy and dishonesty is going on peple are being banned for life, shunned by and vilified by one sport n the grounds that tey have played another on he grounds of being 'professionalised' whether they have recievd any kind of payment or not. Hugeammounts of money is bein g lost to the exchequer because of the blatant tax evasion(it isn't even avoidance), peole are being given sinecure jobs wth huge salaries as rward for ther success on the field, or to keep them aat their clubs, and you think this is a good thing.

at least the GF could be played unlike rcen weeks, and probably this holidy period as well, and Old Trafford id one of the best stadiums in the world-the rain isn't a major issue.

still waiting for answers to the question on the referendum.

still waiting for answers to the question on the referendum.

Another example of your conceit. Still wating for an apology for the various insults I've received from you over the past year, totally unjustified - I've done nothing do deserve them, the opposite really, I try to keep on good terms with everyone, just because my views happen to differ from yours. IIRC I answered your question about referendum a few posts ago. But for the record, it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of man to survey crowds at games. There was no overwhelming demand - if there had been I'm sure such a survey would have taken place.

Another example of your conceit. Still wating for an apology for the various insults I've received from you over the past year, totally unjustified - I've done nothing do deserve them, the opposite really, I try to keep on good terms with everyone, just because my views happen to differ from yours. IIRC I answered your question about referendum a few posts ago. But for the record, it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of man to survey crowds at games. There was no overwhelming demand - if there had been I'm sure such a survey would have taken place.

name them

so now its a survey.

But there doesn't need to be an overwhelming demand to show that something is a good or right thing to do.

It will have been debated by the clubs who will speak on behalf of their fans. You can;t run the game by a committee of 100k people.