Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingking

Nigel Wood- London must improve

355 posts in this topic

Andy Wilson's match report in 'The Observer' read like an obituary, and it's easy to see why. With the club apparently imploding both on and off the pitch and the distinct prospect of the first sub-1000 SL gate since the demise of PSG rapidly approaching (my money's on the Cats game), I'm beginning to worry if we'll even finish the season!

The problem with the 3-year licence is that a club that is really struggling doesn't just have to finish the current season but potentially 1-2 others. This needs to be thought about.

Bring relegation back. London always "bucked up" when there was the threat of this and it made games more interesting if the playoff was a lost cause. I'd like to see the RL allow Broncos special dispensation to play at a smaller stadium to build up atmosphere etc

Was the game in a worse state than it is now before the advent of London? Was the game in a better state after the advent of London? Remember Fulham was not a venture planned by the RFL but by Fulham AFC in order to make better use of the ground. The "presence" :lol: in London will soon by 33 years old and things are no better in London or in the game generally IMO. What possibly benefit do we get from the game being in London? If they were successful on the field - then I'd say persevere - if they were disappointing on the field but attracting reasonable crowds - a bit like Hull are and Leeds used to be there'd be cause to continue in London. But be fair as the Observer report says there were three times as many specators in the ground for the earlier Union game than for the later SL game. We are flogging a dead horse - most Londers clearly aren't bothered whether RL is in London or not, so why should the rest of us care? The game grew for 85 years without (for the most part) a team in London. I'm sure it could continue to prosper without one now. Apart from any other considerations I don't reckon we can afford a club in London, not when Cas are struggling and Salford and Bradford have been struggling. Consolidate into the heartlands, built up the strength of the game hopefully on the back of a successful World Cup campaign. Either that or raise the white flag to Union then we can have as much presence in London as we want.

The game grew for 85 years? Oh you mean Cumbria and Cas. A presence in London has allowed the game to grow at amateur and semi pro levels. There are genuine southern born players playing prefessionally in the top flight. Maybe we should retract back to the "heartlands" and watch that go chest up but from a close proximity without having to leave the M62. The problem is that the flagship club in London has never been "done" properly. Just getting a team on the park and hoping people turn up is never going to work just like it's not working in Salford. Dr Koukash has realised that from day one. Bradford had to heavily subsidise the season tickets once the glory days ended.

The game grew for 85 years? Oh you mean Cumbria and Cas. A presence in London has allowed the game to grow at amateur and semi pro levels. There are genuine southern born players playing prefessionally in the top flight. Maybe we should retract back to the "heartlands" and watch that go chest up but from a close proximity without having to leave the M62. The problem is that the flagship club in London has never been "done" properly. Just getting a team on the park and hoping people turn up is never going to work just like it's not working in Salford. Dr Koukash has realised that from day one. Bradford had to heavily subsidise the season tickets once the glory days ended.

Do you think the growth in London has taken place because of the Broncos SL status or would it have still happened had they been in the Championship? I appreciate that the current team has a few Londoners within it but the side doesn't appear to be of SL quality. Could the considerable growth at amateur and semi pro levels still be maintained with London Broncos in the Championship perhaps?

Unless there is some central funding then the club will simply die the statement from NW in my opinion is the RFL lining up for the clubs demise,SL is already suffering from lack of sponsors and decreasing crowds and the RFL seems to be hell bent on taking the sport downmarket the demise of London would be the end of any chance of the game being taken seriously as a national sport.

I value your opinion and certainly agree with it. The spectacle of a regional sport trying to be a national one will be sad.

The massive cracks London would leave would be part papered over by Toulouse, but there's no guarantee they will make it to SL.

We should make a completely artificial league - four french teams, london, birmingham, edinburgh, damn it, why not barcelona? who needs a sport based around the likes of wigan and cas?

Do you think the growth in London has taken place because of the Broncos SL status or would it have still happened had they been in the Championship? I appreciate that the current team has a few Londoners within it but the side doesn't appear to be of SL quality. Could the considerable growth at amateur and semi pro levels still be maintained with London Broncos in the Championship perhaps?

Well if you can go round the Championship club areas like Sheffield, Doncaster, York, Leigh, Swinton, Keighley, etc etc yopu will find the answer and it is simple. Second tier Rugby League doesn't attract fans or excite people to play it.

Next go round places like Leeds and Warrington and you will find growth off the back of a professional outfit. There was a lot of growth off the vback od the celtic Crusaders climb to Superleague.

If London go the RFL will keep the "London Academy" and pop that alongside the ones in Wales and Cumbria. How well it will do without London Broncos we will see but logically, it will suffer as the kids quickly realise they are working towards moving north if they make it.....

Well if you can go round the Championship club areas like Sheffield, Doncaster, York, Leigh, Swinton, Keighley, etc etc yopu will find the answer and it is simple. Second tier Rugby League doesn't attract fans or excite people to play it.

Next go round places like Leeds and Warrington and you will find growth off the back of a professional outfit. There was a lot of growth off the vback od the celtic Crusaders climb to Superleague.

If London go the RFL will keep the "London Academy" and pop that alongside the ones in Wales and Cumbria. How well it will do without London Broncos we will see but logically, it will suffer as the kids quickly realise they are working towards moving north if they make it.....

Yeah - who would ever consider moving away from london to play the sport they love...

Bring relegation back. London always "bucked up" when there was the threat of this and it made games more interesting if the playoff was a lost cause.

Boy you never miss a chance. How do you think Koukash will react getting slung out of SL?

Or have you not thought past cap in hand Leigh getting promoted?

Yeah - who would ever consider moving away from london to play the sport they love...

The out and out enthusiasts for League would move. Some Welsh lads clearly love the game enough to move north.

However many lads who like their Rugby either way may well not bother to give League a go anymore.

IMHO if London go the game will fall back there, but the continued presence of a small minority of leaguies toughing it out will allow people up t'north to go round saying "Broncos are gone but they still play league in London so no harm done".

I recall watching a Wakefield amateur side play a London amateur side at Belle Vue in the late sixties. So amateur RL was in London long before the advent of Fulham.

All the above may be true about Bradford, Salford, Cas etc, but the difference is that people are turning out to watch those teams play in reasonable nuimbers - they're not turning out to watch London in anything lilke reasonable numbers. Watching London on TV is like playing spot the crowd. We have a superb product and some great athletes playing our game. Witness the World Club Challenge game - fantastic game fanstastic skills on show. Any Londoner who has Sky must surely be able to see this and if they are interested turn up and watch a game. Clearly they're not interested. Time to call it a day.

The out and out enthusiasts for League would move. Some Welsh lads clearly love the game enough to move north.

However many lads who like their Rugby either way may well not bother to give League a go anymore.

If they do then they already have a hundred reasons to pick union. The money is better, the travel opportunities are better, they get to play for a London based side that won't move every so often, the career is longer, more media attention...

The only people in the South who stick with league are the hard-core.

IMHO if London go the game will fall back there, but the continued presence of a small minority of leaguies toughing it out will allow people up t'north to go round saying "Broncos are gone but they still play league in London so no harm done".

Time will tell but I suspect that it won't make that big a difference. Participation is more down to how many community development officers we have. The very people who would get axed if the "central funding" pipe dream ever came to anything.

Any decent footballers in London will either plump for soccer or for Union and be snapped up . I know that if I were a promising athlete faced with the choice of playing RL in London or Union or soccer at pro level which I'd choose. Ryan Giggs was a Lancashire Schools RL player, his father played pro RL for Swinton, yet he's spent his entire sporting career playing soccer for Man U. I wonder why that is?

I recall watching a Wakefield amateur side play a London amateur side at Belle Vue in the late sixties. So amateur RL was in London long before the advent of Fulham.

Didn't take it long for someone to say the loss of pro-RL in London won't matter because they have always played RL in London and always will :rolleyes:

Nearly five times more professionals come from areas with a Superleague club than those with a Championship club.

London with the Broncos meant growth at lower levels. That's not my opinion, that was RL Worlds research and article.....

Didn't take it long for someone to say the loss of pro-RL in London won't matter because they have always played RL in London and always will :rolleyes:

Nearly five times more professionals come from areas with a Superleague club than those with a Championship club.

I can't imagine why Leeds has more pros than Batley except possibly that Leeds is twenty times bigger (or thereabouts). Talk about misusing statistics.

London with the Broncos meant growth at lower levels. That's not my opinion, that was RL Worlds research and article.....

And how did they measure what the years 1995-2013 would have been like with no Bronquins....?

Melbourne would be in a similar position to London without any central funding.

Would London be in a similar position to Melbourne with central funding? There appears to be a better stream of kids coming through in London.

Melbourne would be in a similar position to London without any central funding.

Would London be in a similar position to Melbourne with central funding? There appears to be a better stream of kids coming through in London.

you cant compare english clubs to australia we are too different sporting cultures thats one of the problems the rl doesnt seem to grasp. This countries sports are based on history and traditions any new team in any sport in this country struggles to get a foot hold. Look at mk dons in fooball or leeds ru in union its not just league. What we need to do is build on our history and traditions theres probably more wigan fans in london than bronco fans due to wigans history and success. When I lived in london I knew plenty of people interested in rugby league but all followed northern teams through one reason or another many would go to challenge cup final and some would go up north for odd games.

you cant compare english clubs to australia we are too different sporting cultures thats one of the problems the rl doesnt seem to grasp. This countries sports are based on history and traditions any new team in any sport in this country struggles to get a foot hold. Look at mk dons in fooball or leeds ru in union its not just league. What we need to do is build on our history and traditions theres probably more wigan fans in london than bronco fans due to wigans history and success. When I lived in london I knew plenty of people interested in rugby league but all followed northern teams through one reason or another many would go to challenge cup final and some would go up north for odd games.

There is no history and tradition in professional club RU in England, but they appear to be having a good crack at it (albeit with relatively average results currently in the north).

There is no history and tradition in professional club RU in England, but they appear to be having a good crack at it (albeit with relatively average results currently in the north).

most of those clubs in premiership have been around 100 years plus so have always had a rugby tradition

I'm from the North but man, can I wait for the day when a southern based team, predominantly made up of southern players, sweeps the floor with one of these superhuman true RL teams.

1. That's a big reason and the one that is used the most and makes the most sense. London as an SL club with ties to Hemel and Skolars gives a clear pathway for young southern people to take up a career in RL.

2. Ah now that's another question. Abandoning London for Featherstone is fundamentally a terrible move, A retreat to the north will leave our game looking like it's regressing back to being a regional game.

That's perhaps only an Image? But these things can count. SKY's negotiations with RFL/SL seem to be based on get it for as little as you can so TFIL has a point. However the proof of the pudding is in the eating and we shall see.

After London we can get rid of Catalans too, then we can look back at Paris, Gateshead and Wales as well and be really pleased how things have gone since we tried to break out of the north.

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps, have you notice how much Union is on the TV (Saturday Union was on nearly all the day) it's on even if it's Billy Smarts round robin challenge cup, surley someone has to be asking why. Just watched a little of the Sale game (Sunday) what a load of poo and the crowd wasn't exactly massive to suggest Sky giving this sport so much coverage.

most of those clubs in premiership have been around 100 years plus so have always had a rugby tradition

Watched by 2 men and a dog in certain cases. Tradition and history doesn't appear to be doing much good for Oldham, Swinton et al.

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps, have you notice how much Union is on the TV (Saturday Union was on nearly all the day) it's on even if it's Billy Smarts round robin challenge cup, surley someone has to be asking why. Just watched a little of the Sale game (Sunday) what a load of poo and the crowd wasn't exactly massive to suggest Sky giving this sport so much coverage.

If Sky were so bothered about SL, so enamoured of it they'd feature it on their adverts. Look at their TV adverts, their posters, their vans. None of them feature Super League. It's all soccer, Union and Test Match Cricket. They don't really care about Rugby League, we were fortunate 18 years ago to benefit from a dispute in Australia where the Mudoch organisation do care about RL. They pay us a pittance and use our game as a filler for their schedules.