Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingking

Nigel Wood- London must improve

355 posts in this topic

Nearly five times more professionals come from areas with a Superleague club than those with a Championship club.

Five years ago when I said the loss of P&R and a potential SL club in an area would depress the recruitment of new players to the game from that area you used the exact opposite of this argument Parky. Face it you'll say anything to promote your prejudices.

If Sky were so bothered about SL, so enamored of it they'd feature it on their adverts. Look at their TV adverts, their posters, their vans. None of them feature Super League. It's all soccer, Union and Test Match Cricket. They don't really care about Rugby League, we were fortunate 18 years ago to benefit from a dispute in Australia where the Mudoch organisation do care about RL. They pay us a pittance and use our game as a filler for their schedules.

Absolutely right. Murdoch/Sky wanted RL merely as a filler during the summer before they got their hands on cricket. Now? It's still merely a filler for them.

I must be imagining the Sky adverts that feature rugby league then.

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps, have you notice how much Union is on the TV (Saturday Union was on nearly all the day) it's on even if it's Billy Smarts round robin challenge cup, surley someone has to be asking why. Just watched a little of the Sale game (Sunday) what a load of poo and the crowd wasn't exactly massive to suggest Sky giving this sport so much coverage.

Sky use southern hemisphere rugby union to fill their weekend schedules. I doubt they've paid much for the privilege and the viewing figures aren't impressive.

That's pretty much the working definition of filler.

Five years ago when I said the loss of P&R and a potential SL club in an area would depress the recruitment of new players to the game from that area you used the exact opposite of this argument Parky. Face it you'll say anything to promote your prejudices.

I watch the game at all levels all over I have no prejudices, I just want to discuss reality.

Your clear prejudice is Rovers for SL, It distorts and colours everything you say.

Your posts continually promote the future of RL as a small mining town.

You dismiss the importance of London to RL, and if they go you'll be dancing on their grave and calling for Les Catalans to go as well.

Your call to consolidate in the heartlands is a very thinly veiled cry for as many SL places to be available as possible so Featherstone can get in.

Your arguments are based on stuff like "this bloke on a railway platform said" the latest was about how nobody in Wales every watched Crusaders anyway.

Wales gone, London may go, yes you'd love your hat trick with Catalans.

Your a one trick pony Trojan. You only care about your club not the game.......

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps

They certainly do mighty Marauder. £90,000,000 worth of scraps without which the game would be deep in the mire.

Sky don't really care about Rugby League, They pay us a pittance and use our game as a filler for their schedules.

Too true and once you get your way and the game is a one motorway game linking old industrial places oop t'north, they will care even less. Still as you have said you'd be happy to see the game go semi pro, SKY vanquished, and 1973 return.

But you must try to absorb the fact that in the modern world the kids don't want semi pro traditional championship RL. hence all our semi pro clubs have become old men's clubs.

The game will die out as us geriatrics die out. But I don't suppose you will care once you have gone.

Selfish stuff.....

It's still merely a filler for them.

It's a filler with a cosmopolitan and international flavour, what with Wales, London, Paris and southern France involved.

But as those projects die out it'll become a smaller less important regional filler.

It may become such a small filler that SKY will next time offer us what they offered the Championship.

We'll televise you for nowt and be thankful for the publicity.

People here seem to forget that if the Broncos go, there's still the Skolars.

Except Skolars are quite heavily reliant on players who have been on Broncos' books but have not been quite good enough to play super league. At least 11 that I know of (and I supect there may be more) of the 25 in the first team squad have been on Broncos books and that is without counting the dual reg. If Broncos go there is likely to be a substantial knock on effect on Skolars' competitiveness in due course.

Except Skolars are quite heavily reliant on players who have been on Broncos' books but have not been quite good enough to play super league. At least 11 that I know of (and I supect there may be more) of the 25 in the first team squad have been on Broncos books and that is without counting the dual reg. If Broncos go there is likely to be a substantial knock on effect on Skolars' competitiveness in due course.

Plus, if anyone thinks the Stoop is hard to get to and not a great place when you get there then they've clearly not had the pleasure of the New River.

Plus, if anyone thinks the Stoop is hard to get to and not a great place when you get there then they've clearly not had the pleasure of the New River.

Slightly off topic, but the worst drivers in Britain must all live within a couple of miles of the ground. Driving home, I was cut up not once, not twice, but three times by cars with baby on board signs. I dread to think how bad their driving would have been if they did not have offspring to protect

And neither have you obviously. Its an 8-10 minute walk from Wood Green tube station - a zone 3 Piccadilly line station. The Piccadilly line being one of Londons main arterial tube lines, which runs every 2mins

Slightly off topic, but the worst drivers in Britain must all live within a couple of miles of the ground. Driving home, I was cut up not once, not twice, but three times by cars with baby on board signs. I dread to think how bad their driving would have been if they did not have offspring to protect

perhaps the baby was driving

Any decent footballers in London will either plump for soccer or for Union and be snapped up . I know that if I were a promising athlete faced with the choice of playing RL in London or Union or soccer at pro level which I'd choose. Ryan Giggs was a Lancashire Schools RL player, his father played pro RL for Swinton, yet he's spent his entire sporting career playing soccer for Man U. I wonder why that is?

So you're saying that the lIkes of LMS, Chubb, Sarginson, Dixon, Worrincy etc aren't decent footballers? You could question the coaching and exposure they receive which may (hopefully not) limit their potential but these guys are top class athletes and skilled footballers. There aren't any Ryan Giggs around now who play both codes at even top schoolboy level, the poor darlings could get hurt, you know. But there are a lot of London kids now growing up who are league players first and foremost, and they aren't guys who haven't make it in other sports.

And neither have you obviously. Its an 8-10 minute walk from Wood Green tube station - a zone 3 Piccadilly line station. The Piccadilly line being one of Londons main arterial tube lines, which runs every 2mins

Just to be clear, I lived there for four years.

Wood Green to New River is about a mile (http://walkit.com/walk/?city=london&from=wood+green+station&fuid=417703_485976&to=N22+5QW&tuid=466356_530727&rta=old&direct=0).

The Stoop is slighty closer to Twickenham station (http://walkit.com/walk/?city=london&from=twickenham+station&fuid=505760_549912&to=TW2+7SX&tuid=507976_558342&rta=old&direct=0).

I lived in Wood Green for a few years shortly before Skolars went pro.

The crucial difference between the Stoop and Nee River is that the New River is 10 min walk to a zone 3 tube station, whilst The Stoop is a ten min walk but only to a zone 6 train station

I Your a one trick pony Trojan. You only care about your club not the game.......

I haven't mentioned Featherstone once on this thread. As for the above statement I regard it as an insult. Not only have I watched the game at amateur, professional, county and international level, I have also played the game at amateur level. I've been going to games since Boxing Day 1960.

When Fulham first started there was no bigger enthusiast than I was. When other soccer clubs jumped on the Fulham bandwagon, Cardiff, Carlisle, Mansfield, Maidstone, Rucnorn, Wigan Athletic, Scarborough, Gateshead, Sheffield I thought the more the merrier, But they all proved that there was no real enthusiasm for the game. London have lasted longest (can't really count the current Sheffield after the Huddersfield business) for the simple reason that people in RL have swallowed the argument that we need a SL club in the capital, which IMO is a spurious argument. A successful club yes, but a club like Fulham/Crusaders/Harlequins/Broncos IMO does more harm to the game than good.

The South Wales thing was ill thought-out and rushed. They played inelligible players, which the RFL turned a blind eye to, they were assisted in winning games they should have lost so that they could effectively be fast tracked into SL. This would have been fine if once the team were in SL they'd have had a bit of success on the park and a few decent crowds, they had neither and their backer threw in the towel after only one season. Catalans is a success but then Catalans are actually playing in a RL heartland and good luck to them.

I think Hemel should be allowed their shot a the semi- pro league because they've built a local following and I hope they are a success. Who knows if p&R returns they could be playing in SL in the not too distant future. I have no prejudices about expansion, I am a Fev supporter but I'm appalled and disappointed by what appears to be happening at Cas, they have been a great team, have produced some great players and have been a credit to the game. It's the Cas thing, along with Bradford, Salford, Wakey, Hull KR and who knows how many more that makes me think the best thing RL can do is pull up the drawbridge and try and strengthen from within. Either that or as I said in an earlier post call it a draw and try to do a hybrid game deal with the RFU, god knows after this weekend's 6N shambles they could do with some new rules.

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, March 14, 2013 - No reason given

I haven't mentioned Featherstone once on this thread. As for the above statement I regard it as an insult. Not only have I watched the game at amateur, professional, county and international level, I have also played the game at amateur level. I've been going to games since Boxing Day 1960.

When Fulham first started there was no bigger enthusiast than I was. When other soccer clubs jumped on the Fulham bandwagon, Cardiff, Carlisle, Mansfield, Maidstone, Rucnorn, Wigan Athletic, Scarborough, Gateshead, Sheffield I thought the more the merrier, But they all proved that there was no real enthusiasm for the game. London have lasted longest (can't really count the current Sheffield after the Huddersfield business) for the simple reason that people in RL have swallowed the argument that we need a SL club in the capital, which IMO is a spurious argument. A successful club yes, but a club like Fulham/Crusaders/Harlequins/Broncos IMO does more harm to the game than good.

The South Wales thing was ill thought-out and rushed. They played inelligible players, which the RFL turned a blind eye to, they were assisted in winning games they should have lost so that they could effectively be fast tracked into SL. This would have been fine if once the team were in SL they'd have had a bit of success on the park and a few decent crowds, they had neither and their backer threw in the towel after only one season. Catalans is a success but then Catalans are actually playing in a RL heartland and good luck to them.

I think Hemel should be allowed their shot a the semi- pro league because they've built a local following and I hope they are a success. Who knows if p&R returns they could be playing in SL in the not too distant future. I have no prejudices about expansion, I am a Fev supporter but I'm appalled and disappointed by what appears to be happening at Cas, they have been a great team, have produced some great players and have been a credit to the game. It's the Cas thing, along with Bradford, Salford, Wakey, Hull KR and who knows how many more that makes me think the best thing RL can do is pull up the drawbridge and try and strengthen from within. Either that or as I said in an earlier post call it a draw and try to do a hybrid game deal with the RFU, god knows after this weekend's 6N shambles they could do with some new rules.

you regard just about anything that doesn't conform to your point of view as an insult. qv.

there isn't that much passion for the game in its heartlands-it's a minority sport even in the North of England and the game's history is littered with defunct clubs in those heartlands

as far as your (current) club goes it's courted oblivion at worst and struggled to survive even after on field success more times than I care to remember: remember the players strike the season after your club won the championship?

as for Union joining forces with league: why would they want to?

Oh and were did lamont Bryant, Iain Morrison and Ade Adebissi learn their Rugby?

Thousands enjoy playing union at a far wider level of ability and age than league

specatators at top level club games compare with and often exceed those of league. The international game in rugby league is a speck on Union's collar in terms of media profile, attendances, growth, and sponsorship.

As for whether rugby league needs a top level club in London. It's the wrong question. The question is how much it is needed, and how to make the best of it.

In many ways it doesn't matter as much: the game now has developing roots all over the South East. Broncos' presence in SL seems to have made little impact on the game's media or business profile nationally, and the club itself struggles. There is clearly something wrong at the Broncos on and off the pitch. I don't know what it is. There is definitely a support base for them as past attendance figures show. Losing London at top level whilst being a victory for the small minded parochialists, it would be a defeat for Rugby League, far worse than the loss of Sale to Union's top comp. I think on balance London matter in SL. I hope you don't find these comments insulting-they are just my views on the subject.

Losing London at top level whilst being a victory for the small minded parochialists, it would be a defeat for Rugby League.

Very well put in a tremendous nutshell.

Once London have gone, Catalans next :D

Wales haven't 'gone' anywhere. They are arguably stronger than they ever were. I don't think having proper Welsh players playing RL as their first choice sport is a bad thing.

The critics can jerk themselves stupid over Londons' demise but the fact is the genie is out of the bottle and it won't be going back in.

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, March 14, 2013 - No reason given

you regard just about anything that doesn't conform to your point of view as an insult. qv.

No I regard being described as a "one trick pony who only cares about my club and not the game" as an insult - because I know it isn't so.

I also regard being described as "a small minded parochialist" as an insult, but it's what I've come to expect from you Chris. You don't seem to be able to have a genuine dispute about the future of the game without descending into gratuitous nastiness.

Wales haven't 'gone' anywhere. They are arguably stronger than they ever were. I don't think having proper Welsh players playing RL as their first choice sport is a bad thing.

The critics can jerk themselves stupid over Londons' demise but the fact is the genie is out of the bottle and it won't be going back in.

Wales are not stronger than they ever were, things have gone downhill there in terms of grassroots participation. The Welsh league is a mess at the moment. I'm sure it will come good in time but things have gone backwards.

Likewise I can't imagine a situation like Gareth Thomas switching codes in the near or even medium term.

Wales are not stronger than they ever were, things have gone downhill there in terms of grassroots participation. The Welsh league is a mess at the moment. I'm sure it will come good in time but things have gone backwards.

Likewise I can't imagine a situation like Gareth Thomas switching codes in the near or even medium term.

I didn't say it was perfect though did I? How did the Welsh league go on in the 80's and 90's? We have Welshmen playing RL professionally *through choice*, not as a second choice either today...when has that ever happened? Of course it isn't perfect....what is?

GT switched codes 4 years ago....hardly an age. Who knows what may happen with a genuinely Welsh RL team?

All the above may be true about Bradford, Salford, Cas etc, but the difference is that people are turning out to watch those teams play in reasonable nuimbers

We'll agree to disagree on that one if you think a couple of thousand people is reasonable.