Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil

Meanwhile "our" Gov't tries to look after its mates

65 posts in this topic

I thought it was a given that we would be referring to the fat cats as opposed to anyone that works for a bank? I'm happy to make that distinction though.

Yes - maybe in many of the posts here that was clear, however often when the numbers are quoted usually hundreds of millions or so, they include the banking 'minnows' to get the higher number for spectacular effect.

When people talk about bailing the banks out, they actually saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, and plenty of people's savings.

I'm certainly not saying it was the right way to go about it, but people should remember that the vast majority of people who work for banks, are just normal people living a normal life.

It is indeed how things should be done.

Shame they made 300 people redundant a month or two ago.

EDIT:

Also don't show that to May. He's quite grumpy about Waitrose for some reason.

Indeed it is. But with their recent history of growth through opening new shops I would imagine that their total head count will be back to the pre-redundancy levels in the not to distant future.

I would imagine that their total head count will be back to the pre-redundancy levels in the not to distant future.

That's a fair point.

Had the previous "government" :lol: indulged in proper regulation, and had they made an example of Northern Rock, and had not millions of greedy Labour voters fallen for the great Blair deception, this situation would not have been anywhere near as bad. When Brown said he'd abolished "boom and bust" he was basing it on the effects of the housing price bubble that the Blair govt had created and exploited. How could any sensible person not see that a trebling of house prices in the ten years after Labours election was anything other than a recipe for disaster Yes, bankers may be greedy, but just as greedy as those that borrowed recklessly at the expense of savers and pensioners, the unemployed and those in social housing so that they could get their own feet in the trough. What is it they sing at the Labour Party conference? Ah, yes, "The working class can kiss my ######, we'll keep the red flag flying here!"

John, it is wrong to assume that any criticism of the present government automatically implies absolute approval of everything done by the previous government. When it comes to accepting the myths woven about themselves by the financial services industry, both are culpable. Neither dared assert any real control over it, despite its capacity to sink the economy.

But, now that it actually has sunk the economy, and sucked in billions of pounds of taxpayer's money to prevent its complete collapse, to continue to pander to these false gods is just stupid.

If a 100% bonus is not enough for some people, it is time to call their bluff and let them go.

it is wrong to assume that any criticism of the present government automatically implies absolute approval of everything done by the previous government.

You fool! You're undermining the very foundations of political debate! ;)

Also don't show that to May. He's quite grumpy about Waitrose for some reason.

You're very sparky today Jon. Did you get laid last night?

I didn't. Hence the grumpiness....

The way is should be done? Company makes a profit and shares said profit among it's employees.

Pity they got rid of all their cleaners years ago and contract it out to companies who pay minimum wage.

(The cleaners used to be 'members' too I think, not sure the current 'members' want them back as it will hit the profits and bonuses... one team...)

This.

Of course I'm properly balanced in that I get annoyed that my honest tax-dollars are paying not only banker bonuses but guaranteed pensions for maths lecturers.

Let's all race to the bottom and dismantle every bit of employment law and benefits for the working man, that were won by our forefathers blood, be thrown away because of me first and sod off everyone else politics.

If you believe that a government that had thirteen years with huge working majorities must be absolved of blame entirely then, yes.

If you believe that actually YEAH-BOO politicking belongs only in the kindergarten or House of Commons (but I repeat myself) then, no.

Who said they should be absolved of blame? They are guilty of letting the banks do as they pleased. But they are not responsible for the mess we find outselves in today - that is down to Georgie boy. Labour left a deficit - they also left2% growth - within weeks of Osbornes' first budget it's depressing effect on the economy was felt and that growth disappeared.

You're very sparky today Jon. Did you get laid last night?

I'm a married man with two children, Steve. One of whom is testing to the very limit what mainstream support can offer at a time when all those services are either being cut or having to meet meaningless targets that diminish the service available for him. I'm not even sure what getting laid means. It's something I vaguely remember from uni. It sounds like fun.

Let's all race to the bottom and dismantle every bit of employment law and benefits for the working man, that were won by our forefathers blood, be thrown away because of me first and sod off everyone else politics.

The attitude of public sector workers to their pensions is very often "We're alright, so you sod off, no we're not changing." In their position I would do the same. My belief, cos I'm a rabid communist, has always been to ask why such things as private pensions even exist. The benefits of the public sector provision should be available to all whether or not their employer was the state.

But they are not responsible for the mess we find outselves in today

They are more to blame for the mess we find ourselves in today than Thatcher is for us having no industry (for example). It's been 23 years since Thatch made a decision, just over 2 since Labour had a cosy shower with the bankers.

But I do completely take your point about growth, incidentally.

Bostik, are you under 45? If so I admire your desire to give the older generation all the opportunities that you won't be able to enjoy, because you're going to be working until past 70 to pay for the guaranteed livelyhoods of all these 100+ year old people who are going to be popping up left, right and centre in the next 30 years.

Bostik, are you under 45? If so I admire your desire to give the older generation all the opportunities that you won't be able to enjoy, because you're going to be working until past 70 to pay for the guaranteed livelyhoods of all these 100+ year old people who are going to be popping up left, right and centre in the next 30 years.

could be wrog,if so apologies, but think a whoosh might be in order rigt there

could be wrog,if so apologies, but think a whoosh might be in order rigt there

I don't think he was being sarcastic. And if you are under 45 you know that when you reach 67 it will be right in the middle of the pension time bomb the baby boomers have created for the next generation, so final salary, even for the cossetted few public sector workers will be a long forgotten memory.