See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ponterover

Glasshoughton Stadium Dream Finally Dead

87 posts in this topic

Cas are looking to regenerate Wheldon Road. The enabling development that was earmarked to provide funding for GH is, I believe, going to be used to upgrade the existing ground instead.

There has already been rumours that Cas are looking to pick over the bones of the Don Valley so i don't believe there will be any ground share, at least not permanently.

Surely if they were to redo Wheldon Road, they'd pretty much have to knock it down and start again? There's hardly any room behind the two covered terraces and the pitch needs extending.

I honestly can't see Cas making it past the next licensing round without a new stadium.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cas and Wakey should be sharing a stadium. They'd have been in it by now if people had seen sense

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cas and Wakey should be sharing a stadium. They'd have been in it by now if people had seen sense

It would make financial sense, but don't you worry that it would be the thin end of a merger wedge?

Sharing a stadium makes so much sense. And to be honest could be the only way either are going to get in a new stadium any time soon.

It would make financial sense, but don't you worry that it would be the thin end of a merger wedge?

Nah, thered be no need to merge, AC & Inter do quite well.

No I don't.

there'll be the obvious bickering about colour of the seats and who gets the 50p per pie sold etc but no need to talk of a merger because of a shared stadium

No I don't.

there'll be the obvious bickering about colour of the seats and who gets the 50p per pie sold etc but no need to talk of a merger because of a shared stadium

Fair enough, but can you see thousands from Cas turning up at Newmarket, or thousands from Wakey turning up at Glasshoughton (which is the better location)?

It's not like you can walk and have a few pre match beers like many do at the moment.

I would worry that it would signal a long slow death of whichever club moved away from it's roots.

A crude Google maps search says between 6.7-9.6 miles depending which way you go and around 17-20 minutes journey time from Wheldon Road to Stanley.

If they ever shared a Stadium then an i-pitch may be the way to go..........

If they could afford the extra cost then yes, and a roll of "I was a brave boy today" stickers for Richard Mathers.

I pitch all the way for any shared stadium.. Without new stadia both Cas and Wakey would be looking over their shoulder come License time.. providing there is another round of licensing of course..

Personally i think both teams playing out of the same stadium would generate even more rivalry, which would be great come derby day.

A crude Google maps search says between 6.7-9.6 miles depending which way you go and around 17-20 minutes journey time from Wheldon Road to Stanley.

It isnt that far from Wheldon Road to the Newmarket site, which is more Methley area than stanley..

It isnt that far from Wheldon Road to the Newmarket site, which is more Methley area than stanley..

Fair enough.

Maybe if they both committed to ground share the Council funding would be re-instated.

Ground share had always seemed the most financially benificial, that's easily said from outside the area like me.

Newmarket is available for Cas to use.

But at the present moment, Newmarket is no more developed than Wheldon Road is. ;):D

Council funding withdrawn from Newmarket also apparently.

Lets get the facts right,

The funding from the council for both stadiums is subject to periodic review, that review has just taken place and Castleford have apparently been informed that the offer to them has'nt been renewed, however the funding ooffered to Newmarket has.

Sharing a stadium makes so much sense. And to be honest could be the only way either are going to get in a new stadium any time soon.

Wakefields Newmarket Stadium is progressing very nicely thank you very much!

But at the present moment, Newmarket is no more developed than Wheldon Road is. ;):D

Just as at one stage Langtree Park, City of Salford Stadium or any other huge development were no more developed than Wheldon Rd/Glasshoughton.

Lots of progress has been made in progressing the Newmarket Stadium, a spade in the ground isn't that far off.

Just as at one stage Langtree Park, City of Salford Stadium or any other huge development were no more developed than Wheldon Rd/Glasshoughton.

Lots of progress has been made in progressing the Newmarket Stadium, a spade in the ground isn't that far off.

Humour by-pass? ;)