Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ponterover

Glasshoughton Stadium Dream Finally Dead

87 posts in this topic

What is the current situation of Newmarket?

Has council funding been withdrawn or not?

Talking of Stadia, i've just seen Saints have sold the naming rights to one of their stands.. to an e-cigarette company. Totally Wicked-Eliquid!.. two year deal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cas and Wakey should be sharing a stadium. They'd have been in it by now if people had seen sense

Absolutely, I have also been banging the drum in the past for a double pitch back to back double stadium for the three clubs in the area.

Talking of Stadia, i've just seen Saints have sold the naming rights to one of their stands.. to an e-cigarette company. Totally Wicked-Eliquid!.. two year deal.

Yep. It's now the Totally Wicked North Stand. They have e-cigs on sale in the club shop and there will be amnesty matches when people can swap a regular cigarette for a freebie e-cig. Apparently Totally Wicked have the same arrangement with Blackburn Rovers but this is the first deal of its kind in rugby of either code.

Saints have also just lost the company that was overseeing hospitality stuff as they have gone into administration. I hope the club manage to put some alternative arrangements in place for the game against Wakey or else there could be chaos at the bars on matchday!

Sorry to read that Glasshoughton is a dead duck. Hopefully Cas will be able to find alternative sources of funding to rebuild their present ground although that looks like a massive mountain to climb.

Both should lose a franchise too many broken promises from both over the years :happy:

Both should lose a franchise too many broken promises from both over the years :happy:

plank, it's not for the want of trying, good luck Wakey, just isn't much investment in the Cas area at all.

plank, it's not for the want of trying, good luck Wakey, just isn't much investment in the Cas area at all.

seems to be plenty in the fev area!!

Yeah right. Spin coming out of Cas has been hilarious for years: a company was going to build them a stadium, remediate the site of their current ground, carry out £millions of road improvements, build a supermarket and make a profit...... Wakey aren't much better either.

What Cas need to do is ensure that any ground upgraded to Wheldon Road are not the worst in SL. For me, the worst grounds are Wakey, Cas, Bradford and Hull KR. The latter are doing up their ground leaving the other three. So effectively Cas should aim to have more cover per person and more seats than Odsal, in case Wakey get their ground.

Cas's ground has lots of cover and holds over 10k so really it only lacks on seats

Are you having a laugh? Cas has had millions ploughed in over the time that Box (a Cas lad and season ticket holder) has been leader. Do you think that the whole Cas Vegas development appeared as if by magic?

Ponte, Knottingley, Fev, SESKU and Ackworth are the places that have seen next to no investment.

What Cas need to do is ensure that any ground upgraded to Wheldon Road are not the worst in SL. For me, the worst grounds are Wakey, Cas, Bradford and Hull KR. The latter are doing up their ground leaving the other three. So effectively Cas should aim to have more cover per person and more seats than Odsal, in case Wakey get their ground.

Cas's ground has lots of cover and holds over 10k so really it only lacks on seats

You're clearly not up to date with all things Cas, they're brassic. A few weeks ago £15k of cabling was nicked from the ground that they couldn't afford to replace despite all the income associated with being in the premier UK rugby league division, without a(nother) loan from Mr Fulton. How on earth are they going to upgrade WR? Or maybe they could sell the training pitch and car park to someone to build a small/medium sized retail outlet ;)

Not ben to Wakey recently I presume with the new lids on at the ground providing cover for thousands.

You're clearly not up to date with all things Cas, they're brassic. A few weeks ago £15k of cabling was nicked from the ground that they couldn't afford to replace despite all the income associated with being in the premier UK rugby league division, without a(nother) loan from Mr Fulton. How on earth are they going to upgrade WR? Or maybe they could sell the training pitch and car park to someone to build a small/medium sized retail outlet ;)

And looking at that quote, you're not up to date with all things Cas. But crack on mate, it's funny reading

Sorry to read that Glasshoughton is a dead duck. Hopefully Cas will be able to find alternative sources of funding to rebuild their present ground although that looks like a massive mountain to climb.

Probably build the new ground on the training pitch area then demolish the old ground and build a 5,000 square meter supermarket in it's place.

Who owns the old Wheldale pit site?

Cass or more realistically Fev) could always borrow ours when we are not using it. see here

What Cas need to do is ensure that any ground upgraded to Wheldon Road are not the worst in SL.

Mr Ferres echoed the licensing's commitee's problem with the ground. Yes it can hold 10,000 and keep most of them dry but it lacks the facilities to maximise revenues from a 7,000 crowd. Seating does help add revenue but they also raise ticket prices, and they may be hard to install and the terracing isn't designed to take them.

Once your asked to sit on an inadequate seat under a tin roof with a poor view of the ground and have to pay another fiver for that you may decide to give it a miss altogether. In short just adding seats will be a farce, they'd have to build a stand to take them.

Can they afford a new stand. If they could the far end is the end that could take a mini Carnegie stand, but the fans don't think they have the money for that. Other revenue streams come from bars and food outlets and sponsors boxes, they all cost money to install too. Good money after bad???

When I go to Cas there's a big walk up crowd. How many actually park cars like me (old co-op car park) and walk or walk from home I dunno, but crowds of 6,700 last year would be affected by a move to share Newmarket.

The Saints move to Widnes saw a crowd of 11500 in ramshackle Knowsley road drop to 8,000 down the road in Widnes's shiny new stadium. That's a drop of 30% and the same applied to Cas sharing down the road would see their crowds drop to 4.700. There's no solution money wise there, all sharing may do for Cas is to get them another licence because they have a shiny ground.

That will score a point but I can't see the business plan scoring any points.

Featherstone will continue to hold their nerve and court Mr. Nahaboo. When small town but big history Widnes went up their crowds

went up from 3,700 to 6,000 a 60% rise. Add 60% to Featherstone's hoped for this season 2,500 average crowd and you get 4,000.

Wakefield therefore will be the one club out of the three that may have the shiney stadium and a big crowd to fill it. This is unless something goes wrong with Newmarket over that ruling that the units have to be leased before the stadium can be built (update welcome here), then we'll have all three clubs not particularly offering that much "Super" to Superleague.

I may be wrong but the RFL rules on a Championship club getting a licence 2015 seemed to be based on the rider that this WOULD be the case IF Superleague remained at 14 clubs? If so all three of the clubs in the (is Kenny Tiger listening? I'll take a chance) "CALDER" area risk being out of Superleague come 2015.

Cass or more realistically Fev) could always borrow ours when we are not using it. see here

Sandy Desert reborn!

Yes, I'm aware that this was an ironic name.

Probably build the new ground on the training pitch area then demolish the old ground and build a 5,000 square meter supermarket in it's place.

That won't happen seeing how Tesco are in advanced negotiaiions to build on the Netle site a matter of a few hundred metres away from the Cas ground. They may well get a small donation from tesco though and sell the training ground and car park for affordable housing and spend that on doing it up.

That won't happen seeing how Tesco are in advanced negotiaiions to build on the Netle site a matter of a few hundred metres away from the Cas ground. They may well get a small donation from tesco though and sell the training ground and car park for affordable housing and spend that on doing it up.

They need to hurry up if that is feasible?.

It's just occurred to me how time flies and we are now into the second of the three year licensing period.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2015 have to be in for and when they are judged??

It's just occurred to me how time flies and we are now into the second of the three year licensing period.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2015 have to be in for and when they are judged??

Not sure how we're supposed to know when the RFL don't!

Not sure how we're supposed to know when the RFL don't!

Oh sorry, I didn't know that there was no announcement.

I have managed to find out that in 2011 Widnes got the nod in March? Then they put off the decision until late autumn as to who to kick out?

Thinking about it now the RFL have to declare whether it's 10,12 or 14 for Superleague first, so does anyone know when that date is due!!

I'd guess it would have to be by March next year.

If I remember correctly, last time they had to be submitted in December, and the annoucement was made in March.

If I remember correctly, last time they had to be submitted in December, and the annoucement was made in March.

Thank you....

I think that was for the Championship clubs. SL clubs submitted later if I recall correctly. But as people have said, the RFL don't appear to have published any details around the next licences.