Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castleford Hawk

Greatest Hooker

38 posts in this topic

Too busy looking in Dawn's shopping bag !

Nowt in there i've looked

Tony Dean was a scrum half before Kingy wasn't he?

He gives Brian Shaw a mention at loose , how he went from hero to zero when he signed for Leeds in 1961 for a record fee of £13,000 , and most of his career was at Leeds so he opted for Tony Dean who we signed from Cas and was at home at either 7 or 13......

I suppose the problem with this is that younger fans don't recall a lot of the candidates from say the 70's or early 80's. Sad to say I am old enough to remember them albeit that I was a kid when I first started to watch Hunslet in 73. My suggestion, again from the early Greyhound stadium days is Tony Handforth. Like Gibson he was a proper hooker and a pretty hard man. Anyone else rate him?

a good hooker you had who unfortunately went to leeds, Peter Dunn

Dead easy for me greyhound stadium New hunslet - George standige hard as nails for those who don't know ask about the flood lit trophy incident :-)

Pre 1999 debarcle - Richard pach

Last 10 years not so easy - chappy and robbo are really only the real out and out hookers we've had. Lukey done a great job but never seen him as a panto villain that all hookers should be well that's how it used to be.

So am torn - so on playing ability/class above rest of modern game......... Then pach for me too.

Old school George though. Tbh would have liked to have played along side robbo or seen robbo in a hunslet side with some clout.

Yes we signed Tony dean from hull cracking player used to wear his socks rolled down - strange the things you remember. Ha can't believe Phil Tate at 3 - he was never the same after his injury back/neck I think.

And Tony handforths nick name was Tony tiger lol

George Standidge was an out and out prop. A good 'un as well.

Tony Handforth was a rwal hard nut at hooker. Ball winner supreme.

as spartacus saye george standidge was a prop not a hooker

George will get a mention soon enough. We'll do the blindside prop next week.

I'm sure everyone's got a memory of George.

Ha I will get my coat lol see strange what you remember, if you was a young en cas I was 5 or 6 :):lol: :lol:

Peter Smith of YEP is going to publish our forums Hunslet 17 in the paper and write a peice about it!