Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IM2

skolars v hemel sun 10th 3 p.m

23 posts in this topic

well this should be interesting. i am probably wrong but could be the first competitive derby since the 1930s?

given both sides had good wins last weekend it should also be a good game. also should be highly charged to say the least.

skolars have presold more tickets for this than any games other than Cap Cha and FNL. put a lot of effort into it tbh. mini beer festival and some other stuff going on should make it a good day out!

hope the broncos and london rl fans get behind it.

Bloody good luck to them !

well this should be interesting. i am probably wrong but could be the first competitive derby since the 1930s?

skolars have presold more tickets for this than any games other than Cap Cha and FNL. put a lot of effort into it tbh. mini beer festival and some other stuff going on should make it a good day out!

I'm glad to hear it. I believe that we need more London area semi-pro sides. These kinds of derbies are what the game needs.

Last derby between two teams in the same division was on New Years Day 1985 when Southend Invicta played Fulham.

Last derby between two teams in the same division was on New Years Day 1985 when Southend Invicta played Fulham.

Over 28 years ago now. Wow!

I was at that game and will be at the match on Sunday.

However, I thought I recalled Skolars playing Hemel (and St Albans too?) in the Northern Rail a few years albeit when Hemel were still amateur.

However, I thought I recalled Skolars playing Hemel (and St Albans too?) in the Northern Rail a few years albeit when Hemel were still amateur.

Yep, 2005-2007, Hemel were in the NRC. St Albans at least one of those years too, along with Bramley, Wizards, and one or two others maybe.

Over 28 years ago now. Wow!

I was at that game and will be at the match on Sunday.

Correct , but has HRL had pointed out and you alluded to, not as teams in the same division.

Er, no, Fulham v Southend on Good Friday (the reverse fixture) at Crystal Palace. We won 21-17, and Fred Lindop sent Sean Hoare and 'Dallas' Donnelly off.

Is Hemel Hempstead in London?

No! And neither is Sarfend.

We'll have to wait a few years before the long awaited London derby in a competitive fixture. Perhaps the challenge cup?

It might not be a "London derby" but Hemel vs Skolars is definitely a derby.

It might not be a "London derby" but Hemel vs Skolars is definitely a derby.

Is Hemel v Oxford a derby? It is about the same distance from Hemel to Oxford as it is from Hemel to London

Is Hemel v Oxford a derby? It is about the same distance from Hemel to Oxford as it is from Hemel to London

24.5 miles from Pennine Way to New River

56 miles from Pennine Way to Iffley Road

Accurate as ever

It's a derby because the people involved believe it to be a derby.

The term 'derby' is used to refer to the big event, originating from the Epsom Derby. Typically, this would be a local derby as Everton's big game would be against Liverpool and Man City's would be against Manchester United. However, the game against the main rival would be the better definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_derby#Origin

Please, put this on a post-it note on your computer screen, particularly if you are from Hull or Lobbygobbler.

24.5 miles from Pennine Way to New River

56 miles from Pennine Way to Iffley Road

Accurate as ever

Fair enough - I looked at Central London to Hemel. Oxford to Hemel looks a fair bit closer than 50odd miles. Looks like about 35-40

Fair enough - I looked at Central London to Hemel. Oxford to Hemel looks a fair bit closer than 50odd miles. Looks like about 35-40

Not unless you are prepared to drive cross country and through people's houses

Not unless you are prepared to drive cross country and through people's houses

What about by train?

The term 'derby' is used to refer to the big event, originating from the Epsom Derby. Typically, this would be a local derby as Everton's big game would be against Liverpool and Man City's would be against Manchester United. However, the game against the main rival would be the better definition.

http://en.wikipedia....al_derby#Origin

Please, put this on a post-it note on your computer screen, particularly if you are from Hull or Lobbygobbler.

I'm not too sure about the wikipedia entry. It was my impression that the first Derby match in any sport was between Wigan and St Helens as the Earl of Derby's estate covered both towns. So both the horse race and the local match are independently named from the same source.

I'm not too sure about the wikipedia entry. It was my impression that the first Derby match in any sport was between Wigan and St Helens as the Earl of Derby's estate covered both towns. So both the horse race and the local match are independently named from the same source.

That would have had to have been pre-1840's and become well known. If you have a good source for that though, you should update the article.

That would have had to have been pre-1840's and become well known. If you have a good source for that though, you should update the article.

Ive heard that a few times before that the Saints and Wigan game is the only event that lord Derby lent the family name to obviously apart from the horse race.

Last time they played in the CC it was also mentioned by Claire Balding. No real proof but it's certainly been built up over the years to quite a strong rumour