Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Squirrels

39 posts in this topic

Less of a nuisance. But that is probably because they are rarer, smaller and shyer.

And less adapted to urban and suburban settings.

They don't like chilli powder but it has no affect on birds. Put it on the bird food sit back and enjoy. We feed most of the birds in cages to stop squirrels.

I wouldn't mind seeing what squirrel tasted like.

Go to Tesco's

Saw a black squirrel in Letchworth, not that uncommon there.

Black and Red squirrels are believed to be the same..........Like Leopard and Black Panthers

Red Squirrels have to be one of the most attractive species of animal on the planet. That they are being replaced by the grey variety has to be seen as a flaw in the process of evolution by natural selection!

At work the other week I was delivering in the area around Gleneagles. In one 'street' (often in the news for being one of the most expensive in Scotland) the place was overrun with red squirrels, the style of gardens - massive with mature trees and plenty of undergrowth - obviously being their type of habitat. Although early in the year, the exceptionally mild weather had turned them all a bit frisky. One male chased the object of his desire diagonally up a pine tree, that is until she did a nifty change of direction and the spiral pursuit continued downwards.

The problem I have with them is that they take incredible risks on the road. You'd think their endangered status would make them cautious, but no.

Pheasants don't seem to have much road sense, either and forget that they can fly. In my neck of the woods, moles are a constant problem in my garden, especially when venturing in the lawn. I once decided to dig a hole with a small fork to lay a trap but came up with a mole on the end.

Worked at some bloke's house once. He had a nice ornate wooden bird table in his garden. We turned up one morning and his garden was covered with thousands of wooden splinters. Seems he'd spotted a grey squirrel on his bird table and got his shotgun out.

you probably have done

There is an Albino Squirrel in the top of Alexandra Park in Hastings.

Nutty.

It's not that you need to worry about, it's Hungarian "Beef", I just hope Hollands know where they are getting their meat from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21900728

When i lived at home in Leeds the grays used to eat the putty in the window frames much to my dads annoyance.

I think they actually know they look cute to a lot of people and trade on it. Was in the London parks at the weekend and everyone was feeding them despite the notices.

Simply tree rats in my opinion.

squir_IMG_6819.jpg

Squirrels are rats with a better PR agent.