Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Derwent

York v Town

180 posts in this topic

As i have said in my previous post we already had cover at centre with hulme. As every one is crying out for a stand of it is a wee bit strange we sign a lad that we thought was the answer and play him at centre ???

if we don't play him in the halves next week i would seriously question or coaches.

And to drop an in form match fit player for someone who hasnt played in months and have no backs cover on the bench

It may be that the original plan was to move someone else to centre and put him in at half back as the game went on, to be fair to Forber who's sat patiently for the last few weeks, and the injury to Morris prevented that happening. I can't for one minute think we'd have signed him with the intention of playing him at centre, at least I'd hope not as Rooney is still to come back yet.

I have also got to give a mention to Callum Phillips today also, the lad was spotted by the York outfit from the get go but carried on throughout to just about the end tackling and taking the ball up from dummy hald from seaton rangers to a big champuonship one outfit spotting ur play to take you out at every oppurtunity says what a player he is In a few months!!

Surprised not got a few Widnes players who have had no game time.Pickgersgill,Ben Davies,Grant Gore,and Briscoe have hardly played.Adam Lawton is decent and Declan can play centre.Tom Gilmore is a cracking halfback but been playing u19s and standing out.

And to drop an in form match fit player for someone who hasnt played in months and have no backs cover on the bench

ok we'll just carry on creating nothing from the halves then. Lets not try and address the obvious problem. Lets make yards at DP and have no end product gilly

ok we'll just carry on creating nothing from the halves then. Lets not try and address the obvious problem. Lets make yards at DP and have no end product gilly

I was referring to dropping Hulme for Connor mate! We have nothing to lose playing Connor at half back but our teams better for having Declan Hulme in it, our coaches seem to view Shackley as someone who can cover the backs

I was referring to dropping Hulme for Connor mate! We have nothing to lose playing Connor at half back but our teams better for having Declan Hulme in it, our coaches seem to view Shackley as someone who can cover the backs

i see your point gilly. I agree. Crossed wires there mate. I hope hulme is back this Sunday. Connor in the halves and hulme in the centres will do me.

i see your point gilly. I agree. Crossed wires there mate. I hope hulme is back this Sunday. Connor in the halves and hulme in the centres will do me.

I agree, thats what the team needs this sunday theres nothing to lose but wont be surprised to see Coyle back in the team were possibly being abit to loyal to players at the minute

your dead right Gillmeister we all thought when Connor was signed on it was to play at half back. If not are we still looking for one??

your dead right Gillmeister we all thought when Connor was signed on it was to play at half back. If not are we still looking for one??

Why not try Grant Gore or Tom Gilmore as they have been more talented than Declan Hulme.You are happy with him and there is some good players like Pickgersgill and Shaun Briscoe not getting game time.

I agree, thats what the team needs this sunday theres nothing to lose but wont be surprised to see Coyle back in the team were possibly being abit to loyal to players at the minute

I'm not convinced with coyle although he needs more game time. A creative half will make the difference in this league but at the moment i don't think coyle is good enough.

Thacks will be available for next week as he will be up at Red Hall on Tuesday week

It will be interesting to see what ban he gets against what ban Hock gets

He was lucky to ge on the field as long as he was, started to gob off after an earlier York try and the ref let it go, he's a good player if he keeps his mouth shut and gets on with it.

Radio York commentators laughing at us, saying we look 'disorganised and disinterested', says it all really

26-0 now, half time

Dear Derwent I sit in front of Andy Acko the main Radio York RL commentator and I know that he would NEVER laugh at any RL team no matter how badly they played as he has too much respect for the game itself and admiration for every player. You may have heard him laugh but it would not have been at the expense of your team....honest.

We need a reaction next week and beyond , because that wasn't the town we know . Whether there was disruption , injuries , something behind the scenes that's causing gripes or whatever , who knows , but for coaches , players and fans alike , that display needs purging quickly and the faith restored . I'm convinced that wasn't Town as we know - time to put it right pronto and restore that shirt to its rightful

proud stature.

Surprised not got a few Widnes players who have had no game time.Pickgersgill,Ben Davies,Grant Gore,and Briscoe have hardly played.Adam Lawton is decent and Declan can play centre.Tom Gilmore is a cracking halfback but been playing u19s and standing out.

can you imagine what would happen to Widnes under 19's without Tom directing their team around ??? Tom's fine where he is at the moment and doesn't need to be thrown into the caldrum of championship rugby just yet. He will carry on learning his trade in the 19's and then I expect him to be slowly introduced into the first team set up at some point this season, although would you see him replacing Brown,Mellor,Craven, Hanbury just yet, because as talented as you say he is hes not anywhere near their level yet. Pickers and Grant are the best option for Workington at the moment - Pickers could help with Thacks being banned and Grant can help in the halves, and they could have a good few games out of them if needed to help continuity, When they get Matty back It will help Callum and when Miller come's back they will see how good Hulme is in the centre's with a flying machine on his outside . Alex Brown didn't finish top of the academy scoring charts two years running and playing against top SL opposition for nothing ;)

Having slept on it I still find it very hard to accept our performance yesterday. This is where our coaches have to earn their corn and get this sorted soonest. Most Town fans expected some bad days, and some very bad days, this season but not at York, and I'll add Doncaster who came up with us, and it's as if we are not trying anywhere near as hard when we are away from home. We have three very tough fixtures coming up - Batley (H); Fev (A) and Haven (H) - and unless we get our heads screwed back on we will be feeling very down by the end of those games.

I think that the coaches have also to listen to what the fans have been saying for a couple of seasons now and that is that our problems all start at half-back. I had two radio stations covering different matches going yesterday and I kept hearing names of half-backs - Presley & Nicklas and Casey & Campbell - getting mentioned often and surprise, surprise, they were teams that were winning. I very rarely heard the names of Lupton & Forber mentioned. Our play at half-back needs speeding up and I don't think the players we have used in those positions are capable of doing that but as someone else has already said, will we try someone/something different there? I doubt it through misguided loyalty to certain players.

Yesterday's defeat as well as the performance will already have affected next weeks attendance from the floating fans and this can have a knock on effect throughout the season, so it needs firm positive action by the club coaches. We have players who got injured yesterday and we need to be getting Declan Hulme on a full season loan instead of dual reg and playing him in his correct position in the centre. Gailer recommended Kayle Connor as a half-back so let's play him there and see how he goes, we can't be any worse surely. And finally, fine any player, no matter who, if they show dissent to match officials because that is an argument they can never, ever, win and we have had too much of it in some of our games.

can you imagine what would happen to Widnes under 19's without Tom directing their team around ??? Tom's fine where he is at the moment and doesn't need to be thrown into the caldrum of championship rugby just yet. He will carry on learning his trade in the 19's and then I expect him to be slowly introduced into the first team set up at some point this season, although would you see him replacing Brown,Mellor,Craven, Hanbury just yet, because as talented as you say he is hes not anywhere near their level yet. Pickers and Grant are the best option for Workington at the moment - Pickers could help with Thacks being banned and Grant can help in the halves, and they could have a good few games out of them if needed to help continuity, When they get Matty back It will help Callum and when Miller come's back they will see how good Hulme is in the centre's with a flying machine on his outside . Alex Brown didn't finish top of the academy scoring charts two years running and playing against top SL opposition for nothing ;)

Actually agree with you mate as all them halfbacks are decent and ahead of Gilmore.Gore,Pickers and Hulme should get more games with you mate.

Can't agree more Keith, the problem in the halves is so obvious and has been for a couple of years now. We need a bit of guile when near their line (wasn't to often yesterday) York kept getting repeat sets near our line and three of the tries were just deft little kicks in behind us and we just didn't react quick enough.

I think I said in an earlier thread "Roll on Good Friday " I'll take that back now, Rooney and Square Pants will have a field day if we defend kicks like that.

Yes we need to try something new and stop just bringing the same people in and out . Lets think out of the box

and start coaching a different plan and mode of play . New faces may bring freshness and life , but we'll never know

if we never try . We do seem to have a stubborn streak I agree . And what is it , 90 points scored ?? Tells a story surely . Our attack is predictable and poor to watch but sure easy enough to plan and defend against .

Yes we need to try something new and stop just bringing the same people in and out . Lets think out of the box

and start coaching a different plan and mode of play . New faces may bring freshness and life , but we'll never know

if we never try . We do seem to have a stubborn streak I agree . And what is it , 90 points scored ?? Tells a story surely . Our attack is predictable and poor to watch but sure easy enough to plan and defend against .

Callum 9 , Gore 7 , Hulme 6 , Lupton 13 - spell Callum with Gore and bring Forber on from the bench at 7 - Coyle can carry the water and Kayle will get the ball in the centres - mossop on the opposite centre to Kayle

Aye , owt radical like that , or Hulme and Connor . Just something as we all say. Batley n Fev ... Tough games anyway so what's to lose ?

Aye , owt radical like that , or Hulme and Connor . Just something as we all say.

Not radical that pal , just replacing the current halfback pairing with two young lads who have played together for 5 years and have a bit more pace and guile than the current set up - and could be here all season if we did a bit of business ( oh and as I understand it are both out of contract at the end of the season so have the motivation to do well ;) )