Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Derwent

York v Town

180 posts in this topic

What about playing Callum at scrum half Connor stand off olsrum at hooker Mossop morris centre hulme calderwood on the wing.The big disappointment to me have been Lupton and Downes.

Yep why not . But what we're thinking and what they're thinking could be very different ?

isnt matty due back now? it was in the paper saying he waa set to return last week but there was no timeline given. i honestly would leave karl in his proper position at loose. hopefully matty back at 9, callum and connor at halfs with lupton coming on off the bench. will any of these ideas happen? i very much doubt it, it will be lupton and coyle back at halfs on sunday

What about playing Callum at scrum half Connor stand off olsrum at hooker Mossop morris centre hulme calderwood on the wing.The big disappointment to me have been Lupton and Downes.

Dowes Abu !!! You will be getting a knock on your door calling him that!! :lol:

Well with results like yesterday the players should be expecting changes and some bench warming. Some good ideas on here about half back pairings either with our own players or some DR lads but like someone has said it will probably be same old same old on Sunday.

Whoever plays we need better attack . When you watch SL Fulltime and NRL round up you see fluid back moves with

quick passing, second man plays and bringing the full back in etc . We may not be as good but you can copy all the plays

and practice them to bring into your game ... Carter stand there , look how Slater does it , Lupton do this , copy that etc etc.

Lets see some moves and back plays that are coached and worked on , and lets see some kicks and dinks over the top to

our speedsters . And some scrum plays to .Just some moves that we see other teams do all the time and some sharpness .

So much is in the passing to. And I'll scream if I hear again " we haven't done much ball work " . Er let's start !

The DR system has its critics and even most clubs using it are tending to stick with their own players but if it ain't working in the halves (in our case) maybe its time to add a fresh face or two on DR in that area. players need to know if they aren't performing they will be dropped. I'm fairly confident town can bounce back but its no good just doing it at home.

Callum is doing brilliant at hooker and thats definately his best position but I know if he got a run at half back he wouldnt be afraid to take the ball to the line and risk being hit by the defenders to try and put people through gaps and stand the opposition defences up to free space outwide which is something were lacking at the minute

The tackling (or non-tackling) by Town was exactly the same as the Doncaster game, non-existant. Can anyone explain how the same set of lads can knock their pans in against much stronger opposition at Derwent Park and then defend like that away from home??? It defies logic and can only be down to attitude and mentality. Maybe if we took the view that every game was winnable we would at least not lose by such embarrassing scores such as yesterday but we seem to have this mentality that if we win our home games against teams around us then we will be okay. Any player not putting in the same effort away from DP should be dropped for the next home game!!!

Thats right Gillmeister callum as been good at hooker. But as played most of his career in the half backs i just think with matty coming back and Alstrum there to cover Callum is a good bet at this time to try there???

Has Lupton played many games at stand off before joining town?

whenever i seen him play it was at loose or 2nd row

Well I don't know enough about his career to be certain but it seems a bit harsh criticising him for not being creative enough at stand off when he isn't actually a stand off (if that's the case) doesn't it?

Well I don't know enough about his career to be certain but it seems a bit harsh criticising him for not being creative enough at stand off when he isn't actually a stand off (if that's the case) doesn't it?

im positive i read in the paper when he was saying he owed town a good season, he said that he had spoken to the coaches about playing his preferred position, loose forward. and he was given the number 13 as well which would indicate the plan was to play him there. im not sure why then, would we put him at 6? i personally think peters made a very good staft to the year, but he needs help in there.

I wish you had tackled like that against the Raiders the week before :O

im positive i read in the paper when he was saying he owed town a good season, he said that he had spoken to the coaches about playing his preferred position, loose forward. and he was given the number 13 as well which would indicate the plan was to play him there. im not sure why then, would we put him at 6? i personally think peters made a very good staft to the year, but he needs help in there.

Didn't Peter Lupton represent Wales at stand-off a couple of seasons back?

I don't see Lupton as a stand off in this league, agreed he has a decent set of hands but for me he struggles with pace and hasn't any sort of kicking game .Loose Forward is more of an option but Olstrum has been the stand out player so far this season so maybe we are trying to find a place for him in the starting 13, especially if he is commanding one of the biggest wages ??

The tackling was appauling watching those highlights. Quite a few tries scored off ordinary looking kicks too. Our coaches will no doubt sort it out.

David, as for your Billy Slater moves, I am sure there is enough experience in our coaches, and ex Superleague players to string some moves together but IMO we lack the crispness of pass to sometimes execute these properly. Dave Peterson made a big impact last season partly because of the quality of his passing, unfortunately that is what we are missing sometimes. We can't just put a fancy move on and expect it to work, the forwards need to get the opposition on the back foot first too.

I have faith our lads and coaches will turn it around. They will all be gutted about the result and when Matty comes back he will make a difference to us.

As much as anything IMO we really miss a kicker of Holts quality. Time after time the kicks out of hand are just wasted at the end of a set or after a pen. A good kicker is worth his weight in gold. I only hope Connor can turn this around for us if he is a kicker.

In today's League Weekly, Charlo is reported as saying that Matty and Miller could be back for the Batley match!!

The tackling was appauling watching those highlights. Quite a few tries scored off ordinary looking kicks too. Our coaches will no doubt sort it out.

David, as for your Billy Slater moves, I am sure there is enough experience in our coaches, and ex Superleague players to string some moves together but IMO we lack the crispness of pass to sometimes execute these properly. Dave Peterson made a big impact last season partly because of the quality of his passing, unfortunately that is what we are missing sometimes. We can't just put a fancy move on and expect it to work, the forwards need to get the opposition on the back foot first too.

I have faith our lads and coaches will turn it around. They will all be gutted about the result and when Matty comes back he will make a difference to us.

As much as anything IMO we really miss a kicker of Holts quality. Time after time the kicks out of hand are just wasted at the end of a set or after a pen. A good kicker is worth his weight in gold. I only hope Connor can turn this around for us if he is a kicker.

I watched amateurs on saturday tackling better than that, its just not good enough from paid profesionals :angry:

There's no doubt Lupton can play 6 in this league , look at Cooke , and from what I've seen he is much improved , but he does need a partner half who is a lively creative prescence with a kicking game as Peter likes a bit more of an individual license. When we are stronger he can move to 13 , and with him there , Matty at 9 and two stronger halves ( Connor and another , Hulme / Phillips ? ) and Olstrum giving cover we have a livelier look . Good to have Miller back to , and as Voodoo says , lets start zipping that ball out and everything will look sharper !

No he didn't he played at 13. Peter hasnt played at 6 for over 8 years!! His natural position is 13!! In reply to all the comments about the half backs I think its a bit unfair. Yeah they've not been at their best but by the sounds of Sunday towns forward pack was well n truly dominated, cooper cronk would struggle in a team where his pack is being dominated. Peter showed again barrow what he is capable of when the pack get on top and people outside him run where they're supposed to. Poor Brett n stacky are having to do to much wrk in the middle rather that be running out wide, when they are out wide they are good enough to run the right lines for likes of peter and Coyle and these guys will and do find them.