Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MidlandsRugbyLeague

Coventry Bears

32 posts in this topic

Some great schemes launched by Coventry Bears this week, really making a good fist of preparing the club for life in the semi-pro ranks.

www.coventrybears.co.uk

You are going to have to be more specific. What schemes do you think are great?

Whatever happened to "Come on"? "Go" is American.

Be a bit dangerous to "come on" a bear though.

lol.....t'is rather vague!

Be a bit dangerous to "come on" a bear though.

A fair point, well made. :lol:

I would guess its the membership options. Nice professional looking website and getting people to be club members and buy season tickets is the way to get the necessary crowds in. With 12 months notice it's a chance, in fact it's a necessity, that the Bears take the opportunity to ramp up the publicity and get people down to watch them now. I think they'll do well at home and get a few wins in the NCL which will help hook people, if you can get them in in the first place.

I worry about the All Golds, who look like they will be the weakest team in the new CC1 - they haven't had time to build up a following and losing all the time won't help get people in.

I worry about the All Golds, who look like they will be the weakest team in the new CC1 - they haven't had time to build up a following and losing all the time won't help get people in.

Careful now you'll be labelled a fervent traditionalist! But you are right.

Careful now you'll be labelled a fervent traditionalist! But you are right.

Doesn't have to be a problem - Skolars are still here and I saw them absolutely demolished by Sheffield Eagles in 2003 (98-4 I think)

Doesn't have to be a problem - Skolars are still here and I saw them absolutely demolished by Sheffield Eagles in 2003 (98-4 I think)

I agree but some folk like their labels.

They came up to Wigan last weekend and got beat 34-28 off my local club Wigan St. Cuthberts who are now in their debut season in the National Confrence 3rd Division. Now ive watched Cuthberts for a good while now and they are an ok amateur team but that is it. They will struggle in their debut season in Division 3 so for the Bears to get beat of them isnt a good step i dont think. I went down and watched the game and for the bears sake i just hope they are able to recruit well because if they play like they did against Cuthberts, semi pro level is going to be a huge shock

Membership Scheme

Lottery Scheme

Social Media and PR schemes

The bear logo is about 500 times better than the old Oldham one.

They came up to Wigan last weekend and got beat 34-28 off my local club Wigan St. Cuthberts who are now in their debut season in the National Confrence 3rd Division. Now ive watched Cuthberts for a good while now and they are an ok amateur team but that is it. They will struggle in their debut season in Division 3 so for the Bears to get beat of them isnt a good step i dont think. I went down and watched the game and for the bears sake i just hope they are able to recruit well because if they play like they did against Cuthberts, semi pro level is going to be a huge shock

I doubt the team that took the field against WSC will be anything like the one that plays in C1 next year.

I doubt the team that took the field against WSC will be anything like the one that plays in C1 next year.

They got a draw too 16-16 at the weekend up at Warrington against Crosfields who I think played either NCL 1 or 2 last year.

I saw Coventry a couple of times last year, as I saw Hemel a couple of times and they were very similar in standard. Coventry looked more of a 'footballing side', whereas Hemel were a bit of a 'blunt instrument', but if Hemel can step up, with another year to prepare there's no reason why Coventry can't.

Good luck to 'em.

Coventry suprised me when they played at North Wales Crusaders recently. Much better than I anticipated, but I don't know where all these new teams are going to get championship standard players from?

I don't know where all these new teams are going to get championship standard players from?

Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire

Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire

I would guess and hope that the plan is that once semi-pro they can pay local Union talent enough to come and play for them instead of their local decent level amateur club (not sure how CC1 wages would compare to say RU National League 2 or regional leagues). A lot of this may depend on the wealth of the backers, crowd income etc.

The Oxford model seems to be doing this combined with bringing established RL players down from the North. I

I know opinion is divided, but I fully expect Oxford to do much better than Glos or Hemel this year (will wait to be proven wrong).

I was being serious Brooza! I know you pick up the odd player in these areas who are up to standard, but generally, if they have not been brought up playing RL they are not up to it. I have followed development clubs for years - Celtic Crusaders and now North Wales Cruaders and have been to watch teams like Ipswich Rhinos, Coventry Bears, Bridgend Blue Bulls, Blackwood Bulldogs and Cynon Valley Cougars, but players without a RL pedigree struggle with Championship 1 level. I think its great that Gil Dudson, Ben Flower, Elliott Kear have done so well but they have been playing RL for about 8 years now. Rob Massam and Lewys Weaver have been unearthed at North Wales and will both go on to better things but and a few London boys have come through the system but it has taken them 20 years of development.

*cough splutter*. I can assure you Hemel have absolutely no plans to base their signing policy on local RU players. They've been developing RL players for many years and will continue to do so, this year that Hemel raised core has been added to with some lads out of university and a few Aussies. If they finish in the bottom reaches of the division then so what? It's just the first year, the club will go onto bigger and better things of that I'm sure.

I would think the All Golds will be basing their policy on bringing through lads who are studying at the University. No idea about Oxford but they have enough money to do what they want at this level

*transfer news* Tobias Rochester-Bremmer has just joined Hemel from Coventry. How's that for a name straight out of the RL heartlands? ;-)

*cough splutter*. I can assure you Hemel have absolutely no plans to base their signing policy on local RU players. They've been developing RL players for many years and will continue to do so, this year that Hemel raised core has been added to with some lads out of university and a few Aussies. If they finish in the bottom reaches of the division then so what? It's just the first year, the club will go onto bigger and better things of that I'm sure.

I would think the All Golds will be basing their policy on bringing through lads who are studying at the University. No idea about Oxford but they have enough money to do what they want at this level

They have pulled out of a reserve team fixture against the Bears tomorrow as they haven't got enough players for two teams!