Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rascal Bongo Stork

Manchester Rangers - future C1 club?

107 posts in this topic

People in Oldham might support Manchester based sides at soccer but rugby league is something else. I don't think Manchester Rangers are suddenly going to become the new Wigan.

And even if they did it would still have no effect on Oldham rl or Rochdale rl

It's possible but not likely, it's fair competition. But I'd bear in mind that Oldhamers could already go and watch Salford, Wigan etc but seem not to in large numbers.

Why would someone from Oldham support Salford? Those that have been lost to RL in Oldham are lost to the game in general, just like they would be in Cas or Halifax or Fev if their clubs had sunk to the low that Oldham currently have.

(not having a go at oldham, fine old club, hope they rise again and soon)

Why would someone from Oldham support Salford? Those that have been lost to RL in Oldham are lost to the game in general, just like they would be in Cas or Halifax or Fev if their clubs had sunk to the low that Oldham currently have.

Absolutely right imo,another fine club run by idiots in the past

Not suddenly no, but over 20 years or so, why not?

I remember watching Leigh at Headingley in their championship winning season, they are now Wigans feeder club since the introduction of SL

There's a real dearth of grassroots RL in Manchester so the emergence of East Manchester Rangers is to be applauded.

Talk of a CC1 club is just plain silly. We've heard it all before and the RFL would be better served focusing on worthwhile grassroots development rather than promoting an unsustainable semi-pro club.

When there are scores of junior players in Manchester and a public outcry for a pro team then, by all means, go for it. But until then let's build the grassroots scene and direct any talent that emerges to the other local pro/semi pro clubs.

When there are scores of junior players in Manchester and a public outcry for a pro team then, by all means, go for it. But until then let's build the grassroots scene and direct any talent that emerges to the other local pro/semi pro clubs.

How do you know there isn't? (Insofar as there is ever a 'public outcry' for anything rugby league!)

Why would someone from Oldham support Salford?

No reason that's my point about Manchester.

fast track them to super league skip cc1 and championship after all we need them

fast track them to super league skip cc1 and championship after all we need them

Don't be silly.

How do you know there isn't? (Insofar as there is ever a 'public outcry' for anything rugby league!)

Somebody has clearly seen an opportunity, it's up to them to make a go of it.

I Was only joking

Careful, some of the deluded gang would go for an idea like that, same as the teams in the pipeline in anywhere from Moscow to Addis Ababa

What I do know is that there aren't any committed junior players in Manchester playing in regular competitive rugby league for local clubs. Someone with access to an RFL database might be able to correct me or identify scores of young Mancunians travelling into Oldham, Salford etc in order to play but I kinda doubt it.

At open age level there's one active club in Manchester playing in the entry level merit league and a couple more proposed clubs that haven't yet played any actual games.

I'm not pointing this out to belittle the work that is being done at grassroots level - it's bloody hard and frustrating and takes time and perseverance - I'm just pointing out that there are probably other more important things that people in rugby league development could be doing other than establishing a CC1 club.

There's a real dearth of grassroots RL in Manchester so the emergence of East Manchester Rangers is to be applauded.

Talk of a CC1 club is just plain silly. We've heard it all before and the RFL would be better served focusing on worthwhile grassroots development rather than promoting an unsustainable semi-pro club.

Totally agree, for some reason the RFL seem to want to build every thing from the top down

Totally agree, for some reason the RFL seem to want to build every thing from the top down

Mancunians ,East Manchester rangers Canalsiders all teams building and already working in the communities of Manchester

Saw a twitter account for north Trafford club. Is that mancland?

Technically no. But yes (given that it's a: home to Man Utd and b: Not Salford)

:lol:

A semi pro team playing out of Manchester with the Manchester name must surely get well supported by the Sports fans of the city.

A semi pro team playing out of Manchester with the Manchester name must surely get well supported by the Sports fans of the city.

Why? What evidence is there to support this claim in our sport or any other barring football?

Sheffield Eagles would respectfully beg to differ.

You had better consult with Parksider. he is convinced Oldham is a natural catchment area for Salford.

You had better consult with Parksider. he is convinced Oldham is a natural catchment area for Salford.

He's been convinced of the following things:-

Crusaders will pay the full salary cap

Finances don't matter because clubs don't go bankrupt

Lewis / Sky want a 2nd London SL club therefore there will be one

Broncos will get central funding because Hudgell said so

Scotland will get a club in CC1 that's the Magic weekend was in Edinburgh

Crusaders add value to the Sky contract (just before they pulled out and Sky came back with an improved detail)

Crowd figures don't prove RL has failed in London or Wales but they do prove that Sheffield will never have a SL club

Midlands RL players will never sign for Sheffield as it is too far away (but apparently Sheff is near Huddersfield)

I could go on.

He's been convinced of the following things:-

Crusaders will pay the full salary cap

Finances don't matter because clubs don't go bankrupt

Lewis / Sky want a 2nd London SL club therefore there will be one

Broncos will get central funding because Hudgell said so

Scotland will get a club in CC1 that's the Magic weekend was in Edinburgh

Crusaders add value to the Sky contract (just before they pulled out and Sky came back with an improved detail)

Crowd figures don't prove RL has failed in London or Wales but they do prove that Sheffield will never have a SL club

Midlands RL players will never sign for Sheffield as it is too far away (but apparently Sheff is near Huddersfield)

I could go on.

Quite. It depends which way his argument is twisting in the wind on any given day.

good luck to manchester rangers....another derby can only be a good thing imo