Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rascal Bongo Stork

Manchester Rangers - future C1 club?

107 posts in this topic

Quite. It depends which way his argument is twisting in the wind on any given day.

yes he will go on. And on. and on.As well as thinking that its acceptable to tell other people what they think. All perfectly accurate I'm sure. And on.

Why? What evidence is there to support this claim in our sport or any other barring football?

Rugby League has been played longer in Manchester than Sheffield.

More schools play Rugby League in Manchester than Sheffield.

In my opinion, i think even if you take away the soccer clubs. I still happen to think that Manchester is a bigger sports city than Sheffield, but thats just my opinion.

Rugby League has been played longer in Manchester than Sheffield.

More schools play Rugby League in Manchester than Sheffield.

In my opinion, i think even if you take away the soccer clubs. I still happen to think that Manchester is a bigger sports city than Sheffield, but thats just my opinion.

With all due respect, one or two of your opinions are wrong.

Sheffield Eagles have a long established schools program that delivers across the city and into neighbouring areas in Notts, Derbys and South Yorks. The city also possesses something that Manchester doesn't yet: an established grassroots club with a full compliment of junior teams.

Even with all the Eagles' input, very few of those schools could be accurately described as 'rugby league playing schools' in the truest sense. And the fact that, after 30 yrs of hosting a pro/semi pro rugby league team, the city is only able to support a grand total of ONE grassroots club, gives you an indication of just how hard it is to implant the sport and develop sustainable roots.

Sheffield as a city also has a history of being able to sustain pro/semi pro clubs in minority sports such as ice hockey, basketball and, yes, rugby league over a long period of time.

Any assertion that Manchester is in any way in a stronger position than Sheffield was/is neglects the facts. And the notion that there's any sort of 'rugby league community' in Manchester or that there's a groundswell of support crying out for a pro/semi pro club carrying the city's name is a little bit fanciful.

Quite. It depends which way his argument is twisting in the wind on any given day.

We are a pair aren't we, I post whichever way the wind blows, and you post depending on what you dreamed last night :lol:

yes he will go on.

I certainly will, big time. If you don't like it press the ignore function ;) .

theres a ignore function??

There is but the personal attacks will continue anyway :D

Feel free.....

it would be great if they adopted the old bellevue rangers kit colours, now all we need is sthelens recs to be re-born (please)

theres a ignore function??

Yes.

"This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by HAVE YOU GUESSED WHO IT IS YET?. View it anyway."

A semi pro team playing out of Manchester with the Manchester name must surely get well supported by the Sports fans of the city.

I know you are joking but I have just looked at the Red Cafe forum and there is no mention of Rugby League in the Other Sports section,which shows how much interest there is among United fans.

I know you are joking but I have just looked at the Red Cafe forum and there is no mention of Rugby League in the Other Sports section,which shows how much interest there is among United fans.

Is there likely to be any interest in RL in places like Singapore and India though?

Is there likely to be any interest in RL in places like Singapore and India though?

The old ones are the best ones!

Seriously though, Qatar is planning to set up a new Dream Football League of 24 World wide clubs and the Times say they are looking at other sports too.How about the RFL speaking to them about the World Club Challenge?

Seriously though, Qatar is planning to set up a new Dream Football League of 24 World wide clubs and the Times say they are looking at other sports too.How about the RFL speaking to them about the World Club Challenge?

I know they have teams in Dubai (Warriors) and Abu Dhabi (Scorpions). They contest the Emirate Of Origin

To have the WCC in a place's like Qatar, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong could only be a positive for Rugby League.

To have the WCC in a place's like Qatar, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong could only be a positive for Rugby League.

Singapore or Hong Kong would be great.

it would be great if they adopted the old bellevue rangers kit colours, now all we need is sthelens recs to be re-born (please)

For those of you thinking that East Manchester is a strange place to set up a Rugby League team. East Manchester had a professional team during the 1940's and 50's called Belle Vue Rangers, formerly Broughton Rangers (challenge cup winners). St Peters RC High School on Kirkmanshulme Lane currently holds the girls year 7 and year 8 national champion schools titles, Uni of Manchester and Man Met Uni both play RL, The Manchester College has a Rugby League Academy and Salford City Reds have signed a couple of young East Manchester Players! Need we say anymore?

11315_495366353855538_753054464_n.jpg

try as I might I just cant get that link to open - all I know is that 'the time isnt right'. Who is saying that? I'm taking a guess and saying the bloke at Mancunians RL who wants to set up his own C1 club and suddenly finds himself behind in the race but I may be doing him a disservice

Agree also Manningham, Stockport & Brighouse.

try as I might I just cant get that link to open - all I know is that 'the time isnt right'. Who is saying that? I'm taking a guess and saying the bloke at Mancunians RL who wants to set up his own C1 club and suddenly finds himself behind in the race but I may be doing him a disservice

It appears to be an opinion column by Neil Barker, the MEN RL corespondent, and it's hard to fault his argument on this occasion.

11315_495366353855538_753054464_n.jpg

Having more grassroots clubs in Manchester is a welcome necessity. Having another semi pro club is not.

A totally unnecessary misuse of time, money and resource.

Having more grassroots clubs in Manchester is a welcome necessity. Having another semi pro club is not.

A totally unnecessary misuse of time, money and resource.

That depends on who's time, money and resources are being wasted.

if it's not time,money & resource that was already in the game then what's the harm? It could be a boost for the grassroots clubs already there and give the momentum for others to be set up. It could provide a pathway from those clubs to the semi pro ranks. The new club would obviously,with or without grants, provide some sort of community role - getting the sport into schools etc.

As I'm on the outside of this and I'm not having my toes stepped on it sounds like a good idea to me. Taking another example of Sheffield Eagles - was that a good idea to set up or should they have waited until Sheffield had a thriving grassroots scene? And still be waiting now....

if it's not time,money & resource that was already in the game then what's the harm?

None whatsoever in my eyes.