Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terry Mullaney

Two tier SL on the way

724 posts in this topic

The very same BOD who bestowed him with an award not so many weeks ago!!!

I have no problems whatsoever with the board of featherstone rovers some of whom are close friends of mine

The event you mention as you can imagine meant a great deal to me

how many of your current squad would be good enough to fulfil the entirely legitimate and essential demands you mention in your previous post?

I can't answer that angelo because I don't know.Obviously it wouldn't be all the squad but I would think some would be kept. A full time contract is totally different to a part time contract.

I can't answer that angelo because I don't know.Obviously it wouldn't be all the squad but I would think some would be kept. A full time contract is totally different to a part time contract.

well it's going to be a lot, if not everybody fi Featherstone are going to do more than make up the numbers.

There's a good chance als that some of the best players wont even want to be full time.

My point is that the systm that is in place to address this-the 'seasons of grace' has been denounced by Rovers fans including the ones on yur 'forum'.

well it's going to be a lot, if not everybody fi Featherstone are going to do more than make up the numbers.

There's a good chance als that some of the best players wont even want to be full time.

My point is that the systm that is in place to address this-the 'seasons of grace' has been denounced by Rovers fans including the ones on yur 'forum'.

Yes true angelo about the seasons grace. Fev need the 3 years in SL like every other team that gets promoted from the champ. I think the game as a spectacle needs P&R but for Fev rovers no chance as all the hard work we have put in to get into SL would all hinge on that one season. Anyone that thinks we would go up and stay up in our first season must be nuts (pardon the pun). When the champ finishes most of the players in SL are already signed up so who ever Fev would replace in SL they would be left with their players to pick from but obviously them players weren't good enough for SL.

Yes true angelo about the seasons grace. Fev need the 3 years in SL like every other team that gets promoted from the champ. I think the game as a spectacle needs P&R but for Fev rovers no chance as all the hard work we have put in to get into SL would all hinge on that one season. Anyone that thinks we would go up and stay up in our first season must be nuts (pardon the pun). When the champ finishes most of the players in SL are already signed up so who ever Fev would replace in SL they would be left with their players to pick from but obviously them players weren't good enough for SL.

how does the game as a sprctacel need p and r?

What you are saying points ro large cadre of journeymen southern hemisphere players with EU passports, british grandparents and so on: again denounced by fans of Featherstone.

how does the game as a sprctacel need p and r?

What you are saying points ro large cadre of journeymen southern hemisphere players with EU passports, british grandparents and so on: again denounced by fans of Featherstone.

Angelo I personally see SL after 5 games into the season as a friendly comp for at least 4 clubs in SL. I personally find watching SL boring unless the big 5 are playing each other. There is too many blow outs in SL and too many boring games. For these 4 clubs in question I can see why they are struggling because why would new fans want to go and watch any of these teams when they play at least 15 friendlies a season? I personally think having no P&R gives the comp less attraction just my opinion though of course.Also you keep referring to Fev fans not wanting etc and yes they probably don't but I want the best for my team and i do believe P&R isn't the best thing for my team no matter what other Fev fans think.

for me if we have the ten team super league we need to use it to expand. We need to sit down with all our media partners and see what value is out there. Would we for example get more tv revenue having a london team even may be two. Catalan are a great side but sky isnt in france so im told . An alternative league could be

1, bradford

2, huddersfield

3, hull fc

4, hull kr

5, leeds

6, london kiwis

7, london roos

8, st helens

9, warrington

10, wigan

Would be interesting to see what kind of tv deal that could be worth. If each club were to get 2m a season then this league could happen.The two london clubs with name changes could have an impact of tv down under in aus and nz. Also would if each club had a 50/50 ratio of british and aus or nz players strenghten the Exiles team . We could have a three match serries eng v ex one game in the three areas lancs, london and yorks. Also build up the magic weekends to three again one in lancs, london and yorks. The two london clubs could also have a few extra double headers during season.

You make me laugh. Changing the London names isn't going to get fans through the gates. Also London are in trouble financially are they not? Also where would you get this other London team from who could finance a SL campaign?. It is nice to see who you also don't think should be in SL but I bet your team is in the SL1. Personally I think the 2 leagues will not happen as their isn't enough teams to finance both leagues.You are also kicking out probably the richest team in RL in Salford are you mad?.

its not just about changing names it a whole new media marketing plan to bring in investment to the two clubs. Offering london more big high profile matches with England v exiles in london . Having a magic week end down there . Making london feel like a major part of rugby league instead of a spare part. the london roos and london kiwis could be a big benifit to our league marketing plan world wide especially in australia and new zealand bring in potentionally more tv revenues. Plus northern teams playing the broncos is a poor fixture at the moment but northern teams playing an london roos team well every knows how we like to beat the aussies.

Like I've said London are skint and where would you get this other London team from who could finance SL?Also like I said kicking probably the richest team out of SL in Salford to accommodate another London team is madness.

Like I've said London are skint and where would you get this other London team from who could finance SL?

would have to see what the tv deal could be worth if each club were to get 2m a season it would be self funding

would have to see what the tv deal could be worth if each club were to get 2m a season it would be self funding

Give up while your ahead mate. Isn't SL self funding now? And look at the financial trouble were having at the minute.Also can you honestly see SKY funding 2m a club if they have to finance a 2nd tier as well?

Angelo I personally see SL after 5 games into the season as a friendly comp for at least 4 clubs in SL. I personally find watching SL boring unless the big 5 are playing each other. There is too many blow outs in SL and too many boring games. For these 4 clubs in question I can see why they are struggling because why would new fans want to go and watch any of these teams when they play at least 15 friendlies a season? I personally think having no P&R gives the comp less attraction just my opinion though of course.Also you keep referring to Fev fans not wanting etc and yes they probably don't but I want the best for my team and i do believe P&R isn't the best thing for my team no matter what other Fev fans think.

but you have said it's no good if a club can't afford p and r. that's how the yo yo syndrome was so pernicious.

the much vaunted relegation and promotion battles that apparently filled stadiums(including POR) are myth.

but you have said it's no good if a club can't afford p and r. that's how the yo yo syndrome was so pernicious.

the much vaunted relegation and promotion battles that apparently filled stadiums(including POR) are myth.

I agree angelo but I think a sport needs P&R to attract outside interest In our game. But I also acknowledge that to introduce it they as to be a safer way than there previously was.

This is profoundly contradictory. You can't say that you want the top 4 or 5 sides pegging back and then at the same time campaign for P&R.

A scenario: Poorly performing side develop sensational young player. Top 4 or 5 sides court said young player. With franchising, the poor side have the financial stability to offer him a good deal and the player has less need to jump ship (there's a good chance they have more cap space as well). The grass isn't always greener and who's to say that in a season's time his own side won't swap places with 1 or more of those sides courting him? It isn't a done deal that the poor side keep him by any means but it's a contest and based on several factors, none of which involve hierarchy. Take Kris Welham or Rangi Chase as your recent reference points.

Add P&R to the equation and the poor side can forget about keeping him. Take any non-elite EPL side (even big sides like Everton, Villa, Newcastle etc.) as your reference point. The club don't have the financial stability to match the bigger sides' wages (even if there's a cap) and the player worries about slipping down a tier. This is exactly the elite side player stacking that causes the blowouts you hate. Do you really not see this?

Kindly explain to me how P&R brings the rest of the pack closer to the big 4 or 5 sides.

Either we want a competitive & exclusive or a hierarchical & inclusive SL. There is no competitive and inclusive model for professional sport. Pick your poison.

This is profoundly contradictory. You can't say that you want the top 4 or 5 sides pegging back and then at the same time campaign for P&R.

A scenario: Poorly performing side develop sensational young player. Top 4 or 5 sides court said young player. With franchising, the poor side have the financial stability to offer him a good deal and the player has less need to jump ship (there's a good chance they have more cap space as well). The grass isn't always greener and who's to say that in a season's time his own side won't swap places with 1 or more of those sides courting him? It isn't a done deal that the poor side keep him by any means but it's a contest and based on several factors, none of which involve hierarchy. Take Kris Welham or Rangi Chase as your recent reference points.

Add P&R to the equation and the poor side can forget about keeping him. Take any non-elite EPL side (even big sides like Everton, Villa, Newcastle etc.) as your reference point. The club don't have the financial stability to match the bigger sides' wages (even if there's a cap) and the player worries about slipping down a tier. This is exactly the elite side player stacking that causes the blowouts you hate. Do you really not see this?

Kindly explain to me how P&R brings the rest of the pack closer to the big 4 or 5 sides.

Either we want a competitive & exclusive or a hierarchical & inclusive SL. There is no competitive and inclusive model for professional sport. Pick your poison.

No matter what you do the top 5 teams will always be the top 5 teams. Ever since I started watching RL the saints.leeds.and wigans of our game have always been the top dogs. Wire have always been a big team just not as big as they are now. As the salary cap and no P&R closed this gap? I personally don't think it as it as just stopped the wigans of this world winning everything in sight like they used to. The small clubs are still the small clubs.

No matter what you do the top 5 teams will always be the top 5 teams. Ever since I started watching RL the saints.leeds.and wigans of our game have always been the top dogs. Wire have always been a big team just not as big as they are now.

Fairs fair. Bradford blew everyone away for some years and Hull made it to the top as well. Huddersfield are nearly a top side now.

What price one side in Calder or Salford being up there in say 7 or 8 years time.

That'll be ten big clubs over 25 years.

Catalans can compete too....

Toulouse say they'll have big money?

Ooooh I wonder if this is SL 2015-2018??

Fairs fair. Bradford blew everyone away for some years and Hull made it to the top as well. Huddersfield are nearly a top side now.

What price one side in Calder or Salford being up there in say 7 or 8 years time.

That'll be ten big clubs over 25 years.

Catalans can compete too....

Toulouse say they'll have big money?

Ooooh I wonder if this is SL 2015-2018??

Toulouse couldn't even hack it in the champ. Also the clubs you mention I agree but they never stay at the top like Wigan .saints and Leeds have done. It's just a few years in the sun.

Toulouse couldn't even hack it in the champ. Also the clubs you mention I agree but they never stay at the top like Wigan .saints and Leeds have done. It's just a few years in the sun.

Toulouse had no money. Yes your right about those three always been up there. However there's reasons for it that still haven't been fixed and still can be, it may take a reduction to 12 or 10 in SL.

Toulouse had no money. Yes your right about those three always been up there. However there's reasons for it that still haven't been fixed and still can be, it may take a reduction to 12 or 10 in SL.

I agree with all that parky. But what I will say is if Toulouse get into SL at the expense of a champ club that will be me done with the sport. Enough will have been enough as far as I'm concerned.

Leeds were a team that always flattered to deceive, until the last ten years, when I first started watching the game circa mid 70s. An odd trophy here and there. Ask Garry Schofield how full his domestic trophy cabinet is from his Leeds days. IIRC it's stuffed full of one Yorkshire Cup winner's medal. I am willing to be corrected on that but it won't be many more medals.

Leeds were a team that always flattered to deceive, until the last ten years, when I first started watching the game circa mid 70s. An odd trophy here and there. Ask Garry Schofield how full his domestic trophy cabinet is from his Leeds days. IIRC it's stuffed full of one Yorkshire Cup winner's medal. I am willing to be corrected on that but it won't be many more medals.

I miss them days that's when RL was good IMO. The hanleys. Edwards. Schofields. Gregory's etc of the game it was brilliant. Those guys were amazing along with a lot more back then. I would watch RL back then week in week out now if they made it summer rugby. Can you imagine the skill these guys would of produced in dry conditions that would of been fantastic to watch.

I miss them days that's when RL was good IMO. The hanleys. Edwards. Schofields. Gregory's etc of the game it was brilliant. Those guys were amazing along with a lot more back then. I would watch RL back then week in week out now if they made it summer rugby. Can you imagine the skill these guys would of produced in dry conditions that would of been fantastic to watch.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. People often seem to yearn for days gone by.

I remember having this debate a while back on a Warrington forum, where people often talk about our great teams of the late 80's with the likes of Johnson, Drummond, Woods, Boyd, Tamati, Gregory, Jackson etc. and ignore the fact that this team did very little and often finished comfortably in the lower half of the table.

I remember having this debate a while back on a Warrington forum, where people often talk about our great teams of the late 80's with the likes of Johnson, Drummond, Woods, Boyd, Tamati, Gregory, Jackson etc. and ignore the fact that this team did very little and often finished comfortably in the lower half of the table.

That's because I think there was that many good players to pick from back then compared to today. I also think the youth passage was a lot easier too than today.

As I said above Dave. Leeds rarely won much even with the sort of players gaz mentioned.