Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superten

sheffield eagles

80 posts in this topic

Just watched look north and been on line . Plans to knock down don valley confirm and plans to build a new sporting complex including a new state of the art rugby stadium to be shared with rotherham titans . Eagles surely must be a super league contender if this plan gets off the ground.

Just watched look north and been on line . Plans to knock down don valley confirm and plans to build a new sporting complex including a new state of the art rugby stadium to be shared with rotherham titans . Eagles surely must be a super league contender if this plan gets off the ground.

It's a shame but unless they start adding to the 1,000 supporters and find a rich backer under the present way of thinking they will have no chance..

It's a shame but unless they start adding to the 1,000 supporters and find a rich backer under the present way of thinking they will have no chance..

If they get the stadium sorted out then they'll get new supporters. Not been there myself but as I am sure you know, it's not a good place to watch rugby at present.

Didn't happen for Leigh though did it? Why are Sheffield any different?

If they get the stadium sorted out then they'll get new supporters. Not been there myself but as I am sure you know, it's not a good place to watch rugby at present.

Build it and they will come, eh?

I thought that was just a story .....

No it's not it's actually TRUE!

I looked it up, it's a fact.

When they play at the comfortable modern stadia that is Brammall Lane their average gate goes from 1,000 to 1,250.

They DO come, best let your man know coz I have him on ignore and can't tell him myself :)

Didn't happen for Leigh though did it? Why are Sheffield any different?

I think it is different but shouldnt make a difference - Sheffield is a big city on the fringes of the heartlands, but they should gain promotion the right way as they did before (which gains fans too).

Great news for Sheffield. Always had a soft spot for them. Will be easier to build crowds in a smaller ground

When they play at the comfortable modern stadia that is Brammall Lane their average gate goes from 1,000 to 1,250.

They DO come, best let your man know coz I have him on ignore and can't tell him myself :)

Have you also looked at how the attendances compare in relation to who they were playing, ko times and days etc at each venue? When you've done that I might believe your hypothesis.

Leaving aside the Superleague thing, this looks like good news. The increased versatility should help make it a more sustainable facility than the existing stadium, which is only really any good for Track & Field.

Have you also looked at how the attendances compare in relation to who they were playing, ko times and days etc at each venue? When you've done that I might believe your hypothesis.

I think there may have been an element of irony in there, Les. :rolleyes:

Fact is, we don't have enough data from which to draw a conclusion.

great news for the game as a whole, eagles were one of the original expansion teams along with fulham/london.

I think you are right. The ambiance of a stadium can contribute towars getting bigger crowds. Don Valley, as are most of the athletics stadia, are poor for RL due to the distance from the pitch of the spectators due to the track. this is a major issue even in soccer and in particluar the future configuration of the Olympic Stadium.

The size of the stadia is also relevant. 5,000 at Featherstone for instance has a better crowd ambiance and sense of togetherness and being part of an event than 5,000 at Wigan where such a crowd would be rattling around and have no atmosphere in the midst of 25,000 seats.

This is an issuwe in Sheffield with both Brammall Lanr and Don Valley. Too big for purpose.

The new projected stadium at 10,000 whilst big enough for any possible projected future success of the Eagles, is also small enough to generate an atmosphere with even a small crowd and if the Eagles continue their success on the field or are even part of an expanded SL set up, the atmospheric nature of the smaller, more rugby friendly stadium could, just by being there, contribute to an increase of the Eagles attendances.

This is a difficult point to absolutely prove but I think a good quality, suitably sized stadium can be a catalyst for increasing attendances if couple with a successfulteam on the field.

Having said that, those circumstances would seem to exist at Leigh and Doncaster with only marginally improved attendances so maybe i am wrong.

I live in Sheffield and don't follow any one RL team - I just enjoy the game rather than supporting a particular club. I go to internationals and other big games but I don't bother watching the Eagles. Watching across an athletics track is no fun and rattling around in Bramall Lane is no fun either. In a smaller stadium, with terracing, I'd definitely go. I can't be the only person in the city who is put off by the lack of an appropriate ground.

I think there may have been an element of irony in there, Les. :rolleyes:

Fact is, we don't have enough data from which to draw a conclusion.

Don't think Parky does irony, just s.... ;)

If your interested in the facts go out and get them for yourself, I'm not your clerk.

Nor am I asking you to believe anything.

You can believe in your own "S".

When you have done your research you can let me know how high Eagles crowds will soar...........

What's the point on having me on ignore and then reading my posts anyway?

ffs you even reply to me.

Either do it properly or not at all.

It depends but clubs generally do get a "new stadium bounce". Now okay DVS is going to fairly basic even if it is done up but from the sounds of things it could not get worse.

This is a difficult point to absolutely prove but I think a good quality, suitably sized stadium can be a catalyst for increasing attendances if couple with a successful team on the field.

And your estimate is???

I live in Sheffield and don't follow any one RL team - I just enjoy the game rather than supporting a particular club. I go to internationals and other big games but I don't bother watching the Eagles. Watching across an athletics track is no fun and rattling around in Bramall Lane is no fun either. In a smaller stadium, with terracing, I'd definitely go. I can't be the only person in the city who is put off by the lack of an appropriate ground.

I also live in sheffield and follow rl I ve cut down going to eagles due to stadium and lack of promotion I also go and watch west yorkshire super league sides instead

Just a quick couple of questions for thebadger and superten. Were you RL fans living in Sheffield before the advent of the Eagles, were you RL fans who moved to Sheffield or are you fans of RL who were introduced to the game through the Eagles?

And your estimate is???

I think their last home game at the Don Valley got 1200. I bet a SL place, even if in a SL2 would add 1000 to that. Any kind of success and great ambiance from the cosy surroundings of the new stadium might gradually bring in another 1000, so my very unscientific and completely guesswork estimate would be 3,200. This is somewhere near their days in SL in their previous incarnation.

If that were accurate, the management team would need to work from there on marketing and promotion to further increase the average.

I think their last home game at the Don Valley got 1200. I bet a SL place, even if in a SL2 would add 1000 to that. Any kind of success and great ambiance from the cosy surroundings of the new stadium might gradually bring in another 1000, so my very unscientific and completely guesswork estimate would be 3,200. This is somewhere near their days in SL in their previous incarnation.

If that were accurate, the management team would need to work from there on marketing and promotion to further increase the average.

Two home games, 1,008 & 1,011