Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

15/03/13 - Salford City Reds v Warrington Wolves - KO 8pm

Who will win?   9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford City Reds
    • Warrington Wolves
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

Warrington have recalled Gaz O'Brien from Cas, which suggests there might be a rest for the out of sorts Hodgson with Ratchford getting a run out at full back.

I can't see us slipping up for a hat-trick of defeats, but we will be missing Morley, Briers, Harrison, Waterhouse and probably Hodgson...

I'm wondering if Smith will rest any others ahead of the silly Easter schedule?

Widnes and London, so he might not need to. Anyway, it's tradition...! And everyone has the Easter fixtures so even if it's wrong, it's wrong for all.

Warrington have recalled Gaz O'Brien from Cas, which suggests there might be a rest for the out of sorts Hodgson with Ratchford getting a run out at full back.

I can't see us slipping up for a hat-trick of defeats, but we will be missing Morley, Briers, Harrison, Waterhouse and probably Hodgson...

I'd prefer us to get back to winning ways now and lose one of the Easter games, rather than risk extending our 2 game losing streak.

Glad to see O'Brien back in the squad, him and Myler at halves is probably the way to go for me.

Warrington squad: Ryan Atkins, Chris Bridge, Garreth Carvell, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie, Simon Grix, Micky Higham, Chris Hill, Brett Hodgson, James Laithwaite, Tyrone McCarthy, Joel Monaghan, Michael Monaghan, Richie Myler, Gareth O'Brien, Stefan Ratchford, Chris Riley, Ben Westwood, Paul Wood.

Salford squad: Jack Murphy, Jodie Broughton, Ashley Gibson, Martin Gleeson, Darrell Griffin, Theo Fages, Marc Sneyd, Lee Jewitt, Wayne Godwin, Vic Mauro, Matty Ashurst, Andrew Dixon, Stephen Wild, Stuart Howarth, Liam Foran, Ryan Boyle, Jordan James, Adam Neal, Gareth Owen.

This will be a real test of the new Salford. Concede less than 40 points and all looks good.

Dunno about that RW - our attack is off at the moment, you should really be looking for the win!

Not yet, still trying to work out where everyone should be playing.

Ratchford will score.

Not yet, still trying to work out where everyone should be playing.

Ratchford will score.

Hey, I hope you're right! :)

O'Brien back really helps Wire. Should be an away win, but haven't Salford beaten them in both the last 2 seasons? A team with nothing to lose against one with a few doubts creeping in...

I'm a bit more optimistic than you, RW. Wigan, Catalans and Leeds put 40+ on us, so you might expect the mighty Wire to do the same. But, our defence has improved and many Wire fans think they are "out of sorts", so I think we'll hold them to less than 40. However, we still looked weak on our left side last Sunday, so I reckon Wire will get 30. We should also be able to score a few, so 16-30 would be my guess. We have also turned Wire over a few times over the years, so we might just sneak it. ;)

Wires need direction, who's up for it?

Pack is second best at present, leadership is lacking.

Now not being disrespectful to Salford, if we can't win this we'll win jack this season

Warrington fans need to see something with belief and conviction, not headless chickens and hands on hips.

Now is the time to stand up and correct the last few weeks.

Tackling is a must for major improvements out wide, both sides of the pitch.

So with that in mind and the return of o'b

Salford 24 wires 42

This is going to be a real test for Alan Hunte! On the face of it, a walkover for Warrington. However, if Salford are now working harder in defence then it may not end up being a walkover although I can't see past a win for the Wire. Interesting that Wire have recalled O'Brien. Either there was concern following Castleford's implosion last weekend (was he playing?) or Smith believes he could offer a better halfback partnership with either Myler or Ratchford than those two together offered against Saints.

Wires need direction, who's up for it?

Pack is second best at present, leadership is lacking.

Now not being disrespectful to Salford, if we can't win this we'll win jack this season

Warrington fans need to see something with belief and conviction, not headless chickens and hands on hips.

Now is the time to stand up and correct the last few weeks.

Tackling is a must for major improvements out wide, both sides of the pitch.

Seems you need a new owner who will sack the head coach. :D

Seems you need a new owner who will sack the head coach. :D

Lol. Senior players need to wake up, the coach is a legend... Best coach we've had in my life time.

Smith is a top bloke

Hopefully Alan Hunte will have slightly more luck than his predecessor for this game.Theo is available for a home game for the first time since his Man of the Match performance in the first round v Wigan;the Yorkshire based players will a) Get there B) not sit in a car for 3 hours;the Australians will not be harrassed by press,media and others prior to the game.May even be more than 2k attendance to motivate the players !

Home win for me.The Big 4 clubs undergoing transition and time for some new kids on the block.

Warrington, by 36.

Are they only turning out their 2nd team?

Wire by a lot more

4-46 to Wire, believe it or not this was an improved Salford performance. Some odd calls from Ganson in the middle making the wire fans sat with us laugh. Some ill discipline from Salford.

I've slept on this result before posting as I didn't want to let my heart rule my head.

This game builds you up, only to knock you back down. It's brutal. The performance at Wakefield gave me hope that real improvement might be closer than we had all feared. Sadly this game proved just how far behind we really are. The players cannot be faulted for their effort (though some morons in the crowd tried to do so). We are a team of boys, mostly, trying to compete against men. The boys didn't stop trying, they just couldn't cope with the physical presence of the Warrington players, who looked 10 to 20 kilos bigger across the park (Atkins is big enough and strong enough to be in our pack!). We never looked like prising open your defence, whereas you, on occasion, opened us up with relative ease. The real margin of defeat is revealed when you allow for the fact that Warrington only ever got out of second gear when they chose to.

Some concerns that could be addressed. Firstly, the speed of the ptb. We are so slow, it's scary. I know that's partly to do with losing the "wrestle", but we desperately need to speed this up. As it is, every ptb sees the opposing defence lined up, waiting and ready to go asap. No wonder we are always screaming "Offside!" They aren't! We're just too slow. Secondly, the dummy half pass. Every one who tried it last night had to swing his arms backwards before swinging them forwards to release the pass. This "winding up" or "cocking the gun" just slows us down even more. No wonder our runners struggle to break the gain line. Finally, runners. As I said earlier, it's boys against men, so stamina might limit the number of runners we can deploy, but one-out rugby is never going to break down a team like Warrington. Our one runner, often not exactly charging on to the ball, is so predictable that the defence have enough time to hold a ballot to choose which of the six waiting players actually makes the tackle, and that's usually about three or four of them!

Enough negativity! I won't get to St Helens next week as it's just a bit too far to drive. I'll save my money and be back at the SCS for the Huddersfield game. OMG! Their pack are going to massacre us.

Never mind, "Come on the Reds!"

I agree with Tony in the most part as it was ponderous and predictable from Salford and using the threequarters at first receiver far too often added to the frustration.

It was easily noticeable that Warrington had the longest lasting club coach in Super league and a squad of players who had been together for a number of seasons in contrast to the Salford line-up where neither Theo or Marc Sneyd have much Super League experience and Theo and the Australian half-back recruit appeared to be complete strangers.

I take nothing away from Warrington who showed their defensive determination early on and maintained that professionalism throughout;even when the game was well won and only an interception try breached their line.

Their club ethos was best summed up by long term injury Lee Briers,donning club colours,and doing water boy,tee provider duties,with a smile.( Hopefully a bit of coaching,as well ! )

I shall congratulate Ben Gledhill,for similar,while on loan to Sheffield must have driven the M62 on a Friday to support his teammates.