Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

16/03/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Hull FC
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

89 posts in this topic

I don't believe that. That touch judge can see a forward pass from 60 m when the away side score but cant see two successive forward passes within 20 m when it's the home side scoring.

Spot on.

Absorbing contest in which both teams played a full part.

Just felt Hudds were always going to win it was like Hull were busting a gut to stop the dam from breaking - and admirably so - but they were not asking enough questions themselves.

Good tough game, few penalties and two well matched sides, I still can't get my head round all this stuff with forward passes, I must be getting too old, for me if the ball goes forward It's forward, By the time we have finished with which way the hands are pointing and the momentum rule we are going to be deciding with computers, can we not just stick to, if the the ball goes forward it's forward.

It was a hard grind that and exactly what the Giants needed, I thought the Hull forwards played really well, and the score didn't really reflect the closeness of the game, A win over Hull is always welcome home or away, next week is another gig one.

I don't believe that. That touch judge can see a forward pass from 60 m when the away side score but cant see two successive forward passes within 20 m when it's the home side scoring.

Just watched the game back. I think Phil Bentham actually heard Aaron Murphy shouting 'forward' into that touch judge's face.

Sitting behind the posts I didn't really have a clue about any of the forward pass calls. I hadn't realised how unevenhanded the application of that law had been during the game.

Absorbing contest in which both teams played a full part.

Just felt Hudds were always going to win it was like Hull were busting a gut to stop the dam from breaking - and admirably so - but they were not asking enough questions themselves.

Very much like the Hull v Warrington game in that respect. Tremendous effort but the opposition found another gear that we didn't match.

The rule on forward passes hasn't changed

The interpretation on forward passes hasn't changed

What's changed is the amount we see the game on TV and how much we can watch plays over And over

For as long as I can remember Leeds and Saints have "got away with ridiculous forward passes" (just like Wigan have got away with dirty play)

The only rule there is, is that if the ref thinks if was forward, it was. Nothing else matters

Good enjoyable game, but coach Peter Gentle's mateship with Ben Galea is hurting Hull FC this year. Gentle keeps playing for 80 minutes even though his defence is pathetic.

Also, i think Westerman is being restricted by poor coaching.

The only rule there is, is that if the ref thinks if was forward, it was. Nothing else matters

Not even the distant touch judge's opinion?

Not even the distant touch judge's opinion?

TV Tony misses nowt, pedantic as a pedantic goes. Great game, and a draw wouldn't have beentotally wrong, but I feel Giants deserved the win. We once watched him ref am amateur game at Newsome, every play took an age as he dissected it, explained it and eventually let play go on. It's a shame he wasn't in line (from oppo line) for the Giants forward pass but he wasn't and that's how the cookie crumbles.

Really enjoyed the game, and appreciate your points

To be honest, anything that upsets Hull fans is ok by me ;)

You're a closet Rovers fan? :O

Good tough game, few penalties and two well matched sides, I still can't get my head round all this stuff with forward passes, I must be getting too old, for me if the ball goes forward It's forward, By the time we have finished with which way the hands are pointing and the momentum rule we are going to be deciding with computers, can we not just stick to, if the the ball goes forward it's forward.

It was a hard grind that and exactly what the Giants needed, I thought the Hull forwards played really well, and the score didn't really reflect the closeness of the game, A win over Hull is always welcome home or away, next week is another gig one.

So did you think Leroy Cudjoe's out-the-back-door pass to McGillvray against Saints a couple if years ago was a forward pass?

This has never been the rule. The momentum rule is a fact of life not some modern trick, there are many passes that physically travel forward during a game but that nobody would call forward. It's the same as throwing a ball off a moving train.

If you threw a ball off a moving train that was then suddenly stopped, the ball would go flying forwards due to momentum. In RL if a player in full flow passes it and is stopped by a tackle it can appear to go forward.

Good enjoyable game, but coach Peter Gentle's mateship with Ben Galea is hurting Hull FC this year. Gentle keeps playing for 80 minutes even though his defence is pathetic.

Also, i think Westerman is being restricted by poor coaching.

I don't think it was ever the intention that Galea would play as many minutes as he has. He was brought in to add depth and experience to the squad. The fact that he has spent so much time on the field is more down to the unavailability of Ellis and Tickle rather than him being Gentle's bezzie mate.

Just watching the replay. I wish Cullen would just shut up. He waffles on and on and says nothing.

I had a friend over who doesn't really watch sport (she popped round at the wrong time to sit and chat!) and even she said "does it not get annoying that they're still taking about this?" in reference to the Crooks knock on in the in goal. They went on and on for a good five minutes showing replay after replay just to show Stevo that the Hudds defender hadn't knocked on!

My reply was "yes, it p*sses everyone off all the bloody time!"

Must admit, I read this thread last night and was expecting to see one of the greatest travesties in RL history.

Watching it this morning, the team capable of making a break beat the team who weren't.

Clearly forward. As Eddie will no doubt waffle on forever - look at his hands. It goes forward from the player throwing it.

We need a Cullen monologue to confirm it.

Every time i've seen Tom Briscoe play in the last 7 or 8 games he seems to be playing at about 70%.. never seems to return the ball at full tilt like he always used to, and is always flat in attack. Had he been stood deeper for the 'forward pass' it probably would have ended up a try.

Enjoyable game though. Hudds looking good, and finishing games very well. Improvement from Hull in general though.

I thought Briscoe was excellent last night. At 22 he was the oldest player in Hull's threequarter line. Bodes very well for the future, whether he's included in that future or not.

So did you think Leroy Cudjoe's out-the-back-door pass to McGillvray against Saints a couple if years ago was a forward pass?

Not at the time but we know it did go forward. And it was Lawrence not McGillvary just to be pedantic.

Being at the game yesterday and thankfully not having Sky Sports and the " benefit" of the "wisdom" of Stevo, Eddie etc I thought we had the rub of the green on forward passes.

It's the inconsistency that pi**es fans off especially within a game. I remember Sean Long throwing an outrageous forward pass for a try in the same corner as the Briscoe no try that was given.

Maybe refs see the Giants as a top team now a la Saints of yesteryear and give decisions accordingly. :dry:

A very tough game yesterday, impressed by Houghton and Lynch always impresses when I see him.18-16 would have been a fairer reflection.

I take your point, But It's getting too complicated for me especially with some of the linesman's inability to see anything in some games, Last night one from 50 yds away saw a forward, one from 5yds away didn't, I know It's all too simple but for me if the ball at the time it leaves the throwers hand , goes nearer the oppositions line than the thrower is, that for me is forward, no matter how far the passer has run. Yes I know too simple ,but everyone keeps saying what a simple game it is

I take your point, But It's getting too complicated for me especially with some of the linesman's inability to see anything in some games, Last night one from 50 yds away saw a forward, one from 5yds away didn't, I know It's all too simple but for me if the ball at the time it leaves the throwers hand , goes nearer the oppositions line than the thrower is, that for me is forward, no matter how far the passer has run. Yes I know too simple ,but everyone keeps saying what a simple game it is

What you are saying basically is players that are running at pace aren't allowed to pass the ball.

Forward passes are of course frustrating but unfortunately you do not understand how often the ball actually travels forward in relation to the ground. It seems counter-intuitive but many of the most seemingly backward passes actually travel forward in relation to the ground. The game would be almost unplayable and certainly unreffable if we adhered to a rule that required the ball to not pass in front of the passer. Passes would have to be thrown from a stationary position.

For example, it seems ludicrous to think that a ball thrown directly behind your head can go forward. However, if you are running forward it does.

The current interpretation is by far the most sensible one.