Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

16/03/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Hull FC
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

89 posts in this topic

They went on and on for a good five minutes showing replay after replay just to show Stevo that the Hudds defender hadn't knocked on!

Just to be clear, it was knocked-on, it was very clear on the replay and even Jon Wells at half time said it should have been a drop out.

Just to be clear, it was knocked-on, it was very clear on the replay and even Jon Wells at half time said it should have been a drop out.

Just to be obvious...

Forward passes are of course frustrating but unfortunately you do not understand how often the ball actually travels forward in relation to the ground. It seems counter-intuitive but many of the most seemingly backward passes actually travel forward in relation to the ground. The game would be almost unplayable and certainly unreffable if we adhered to a rule that required the ball to not pass in front of the passer. Passes would have to be thrown from a stationary position.

For example, it seems ludicrous to think that a ball thrown directly behind your head can go forward. However, if you are running forward it does.

The current interpretation is by far the most sensible one.

Fair enough i accept what you and Wellsy are saying, But it seems at times to be a hopeless situation, there are times when pages are written on forums arguing whether a pass was forward or not, and that's with the benefit of TV , so what chance the linesmen are just ignoring all but the most obvious and just thinking benefit of doubt.

Fair enough i accept what you and Wellsy are saying, But it seems at times to be a hopeless situation, there are times when pages are written on forums arguing whether a pass was forward or not, and that's with the benefit of TV , so what chance the linesmen are just ignoring all but the most obvious and just thinking benefit of doubt.

My argument is that the touch judge involved, who apparently over ruled the ref to disallow Briscoe's try, was 50-60m away.

How often do we see an obvious forward pass right in front of a touch judge go unpunished?

But this is a different point.

Can you imagine the uproar if referees started giving forward passes for passes that the whole crowd thought had gone backwards? Where players were throwing the ball over their heads and getting pulled up for a forward pass? It would be unworkable and create an even greater minefield.

Finally got to watch the game

Not a knock on by Cudjoe in our own goal, he had hold of the ball and it was knocked out of his hands by the hull player - knock on by hull

The forward pass was just that by any measurable standard. Hands were forward, motion of the ball was forward (a lot), the momentum rule doesn't apply because the passer was crabbing sideways - I do feel for Hull because more of those will be awarded as tries than not, but the TJ got it spot on...if we do need to ask questions ask why the near side flag carrier didn't see it

Very high quality game

Will the result of the hull derby decide who gets the sack first gentle or sandercock? April is a tough month for kr

My argument is that the touch judge involved, who apparently over ruled the ref to disallow Briscoe's try, was 50-60m away.

How often do we see an obvious forward pass right in front of a touch judge go unpunished?

I,m not sure i know what a forward pass is anymore, Although watching it on Tv that particular pass looked way forward, and would still have done had the try been given, A few weeks ago the Giants benefited from one at Wakey every bit as forward and the try was given. All a bit too hit and miss for me, How many times do you hear the shout on TV or at the ground FORWARD!!! so are we saying that the touch judges have worked out almost instantly whether the hands were pointing forward or backward and whether or not the momentum rule applied. I suppose we have to trust that we all win some and lose some over the season

Finally got to watch the game

Not a knock on by Cudjoe in our own goal, he had hold of the ball and it was knocked out of his hands by the hull player - knock on by hull

The forward pass was just that by any measurable standard. Hands were forward, motion of the ball was forward (a lot), the momentum rule doesn't apply because the passer was crabbing sideways - I do feel for Hull because more of those will be awarded as tries than not, but the TJ got it spot on...if we do need to ask questions ask why the near side flag carrier didn't see it

Very high quality game

No comments re. the Hudds try benefitting from forward passes then?

Tut, tut... :dry:

We didn't throw any :P

In honesty I was only looking out for the two moments most commented on here

As has been commented, top teams always seem to get away with them ;)

Andy Wilson, Guardian.

One last statistic that may have escaped your attention. The Huddersfield team who beat Hull on Saturday night to stretch three points clear at the top of the Super League table included a single overseas player, David Faiumu, in the starting 13, and a second, Ukuma Ta'ai, on the interchange bench. In fact 14 of the 17 were Yorkshiremen, with Cumbria's Shaun Lunt completing the squad.

It's been close to that for some time, the Giants want long term, sustainable success (when it happens)

It's been close to that for some time, the Giants want long term, sustainable success (when it happens)

I didn't particularly notice it myself, I spose not noticing it is a good thing in a way!