Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EQUALIZER

Dewsbury Rams 6 Leigh Centurions 36 - discuss the match here

113 posts in this topic

Pyrce had a poor game but then so did everyone else the highlight of the game was the bustup in the second half.

Kicking game was very poor throughout Brown Pryce Coleman and Wright all had a go but kicks went straight at FB or winger or out on the full. Penalties we made 5/10 yard even if we were close to the touchline. Not sure who was captain in Spaven absence but there was nobody geeing up the team.

We are missing some zip.

Have to agree that the performance was very poor, we are a very young side that needs to learn and use the tricks of the trade as Leigh do, they conned an absolutely abysmal referee and linesmen(they did nothing).

we started off ok but we went downhill very rapid, when the decisions started going against us our heads went down and we struggled, we need a leader on the pitch and we need to start working for each other again.

36 unanswered points again doesn't sound good. I wasn't able to be at this game so look forward to a balanced review. (Ossy?)

Balanced review BSJ? Here it is then.

I've supported Dewsbury RLFC for approximately 55 years now, and today was the first time in all those years that I've walked out before the final whistle - well before I might add. Not only that, but I won't be coming back, a decision I should have made after last years abysmal display at Cougar Park.

I've supported the side home and away - Crown Flatt, Barley Mow, Parkside, Odsal, Headingly, Fartown et al... even Cumbria and South Wales... but no more. I've just watched my last game; well 2/3rds of it anyway. I'll miss it, though I'll miss the many friends Sheila and I have made far more. It's just not the game I remember with such affection, the RFL have seen to that.

So fare thee well, and best wishes to you all.

Ossy

There's some very blinkered views of the game on here. The ref was poor for both sides. As for a team put together at great expense, not true at all. For your coach to blame the defeat on the lack of dual re players just shows what the championship has become. You had players 'filling in' for the team that signed them. No doubt they train their nads off week in week out and are effectively blamed for the defeat. Your coach needs to look closer to home.Leigh were very poor in the first half i thought and simply made very few errors in the second half.

Incidentally why did Karl Price only touch the ball after 35 minutes. Don't your players like him?

one word SHOCKING n the ref was nt much better,morrison needs to get it sorted n quickly,some tough games coming up

Not great expense. So all your players are playing for peanuts? I expect that Leigh's playing budget is a great deal more than the Rams or most of the other teams in the bottom half of the division. Beswick, Penkywic etc.. Do not come cheap

Our coach's main gripe was about the penalty count, not lack of DR players. WE have only have two DR players at the most. We just have a chairman who won't spend money we don't have and we don't have sugar daddies to bail us out.

What is worse, clubs striving for a SL place paying unsustainable money to players based on having rich directors or clubs using a couple of DR players?

Well its a pity KP avoided a ban last week cos he is just stealing money. He just doesnt want work. He is the most laziest player I have ever seen. He could have picked up their stand off and walked over the line today but he passed the ball cos this was the easiest option.

There's some very blinkered views of the game on here. The ref was poor for both sides. As for a team put together at great expense, not true at all. For your coach to blame the defeat on the lack of dual re players just shows what the championship has become. You had players 'filling in' for the team that signed them. No doubt they train their nads off week in week out and are effectively blamed for the defeat. Your coach needs to look closer to home.Leigh were very poor in the first half i thought and simply made very few errors in the second half.

Incidentally why did Karl Price only touch the ball after 35 minutes. Don't your players like him?

Players like him he just doesnt like work.

I've supported Dewsbury RLFC for approximately 55 years now, and today was the first time in all those years that I've walked out before the final whistle - well before I might add. Not only that, but I won't be coming back, a decision I should have made after last years abysmal display at Cougar Park.

I've supported the side home and away - Crown Flatt, Barley Mow, Parkside, Odsal, Headingly, Fartown et al... even Cumbria and South Wales... but no more. I've just watched my last game; well 2/3rds of it anyway. I'll miss it, though I'll miss the many friends Sheila and I have made far more. It's just not the game I remember with such affection, the RFL have seen to that.

Ossy

A sad post Ossy. You will have seen many worse Dewsbury sides over the years. I suspect that your reasons go beyond a poor display this afternoon? They are a young side and one would expect results to be up and down for a while, as I'm sure you know. Your last sentence suggests that there is much more to your decision than a couple of Dewsbury losses. It would be interesting and no doubt informative to hear your reasons for 'packing in'.

Whether you choose to reply to this or not ,thank you for many well written match reports that even someone from across the valley has enjoyed reading.

A sad post Ossy. You will have seen many worse Dewsbury sides over the years. I suspect that your reasons go beyond a poor display this afternoon? They are a young side and one would expect results to be up and down for a while, as I'm sure you know. Your last sentence suggests that there is much more to your decision than a couple of Dewsbury losses. It would be interesting and no doubt informative to hear your reasons for 'packing in'.

Whether you choose to reply to this or not ,thank you for many well written match reports that even someone from across the valley has enjoyed reading.

Wholeheartedly agree. Very sad.

one word SHOCKING n the ref was nt much better,morrison needs to get it sorted n quickly,some tough games coming up

Think you've all summed up our problems quite well. We don't have a captain and with it going badly today it really showed. Rob is a 100% er, but it ain't no captain. We also have no kicking game. Leigh kicked superbly al the game, we merely kicked it and hoped. Agree that Pryce ain't doing much, but we don't even try to get him in the game. Why he doesn't take the drop outs from under the posts god only knows. He could wallop it over the half way line for a start.

Ref was ######, Leigh played every trick in the book and got away with it, but it didn't affect the result. Big game next week. If we loose this one we will get dragged into the relegation dog fight. Let's not forget that we had no O'Brien, Heppy has left a gap we can't fill and craven was also out. We need Ben Jones and Austin back asap.

Pryce barely touched the ball and hardly looked interested.

He isn't going to resurrect his career playing like he is - what a waste of talent.

Not great expense. So all your players are playing for peanuts? I expect that Leigh's playing budget is a great deal more than the Rams or most of the other teams in the bottom half of the division. Beswick, Penkywic etc.. Do not come cheap

Our coach's main gripe was about the penalty count, not lack of DR players. WE have only have two DR players at the most. We just have a chairman who won't spend money we don't have and we don't have sugar daddies to bail us out.

What is worse, clubs striving for a SL place paying unsustainable money to players based on having rich directors or clubs using a couple of DR players?

Seriously WR, our playing budget IS low. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the teams in the lower half of the league are on more money than our lads. In the past, we did have a 'sugar daddy' and our wage bill was ridiculous. (Robbie H-P for example) This season, and last we made the drastic (although common sense) decision not to pay money we haven't got and only have a squad of 23 players. Although it is a fairly meaningless measure of financial security (ask Bradford or Salford) we were running at 23% of salary cap last season, which is a reasonable yardstick of our wage bill. The players we have are at Leigh because of the facilities, (we are fortunate to have) the coaching set up, and the welfare and care package in place, in addition to the wages - which are NOT great.

By the way, to the fan who says he's had enough, please keep the faith. There are less and less of we diehards trying to keep RL in the Championship alive! Looking forward to seeing you at ours, with perhaps a slightly less pedantic official in charge.

We are a young inexperienced team put together on a budget, Leigh are a bunch of seasoned professionals compiled at great expense and it showed today.

We really lack leadership and when we go behind heads go down and we struggle. If Spicer is captain he needs to be more vocal. Completion rate was very poor and Leigh just got a stranglehold in the second half. Kicking game was poor, we let them play the ball far quicker than they allowed us.

Either Leigh were moving up far quicker than us or they were infringing at the play the ball. It was probably a bit of both. That combined with their slowing of the play the ball made it really hard for our forwards to make any ground. Neither Tebb nor Tonks did much to stake a claim for a regular spot.

And the referee. Um, Being a junior rugby ref, I know how hard it is to referee, but thought he was poor today. He should have clamped down more on the laying on and interference at the play the ball and binned someone. Completely missed the swinging arm from Parker which started the fight, at times it looked like he was overly influenced by the Leigh team. Leigh played the ref very well and he looked out of his depth. Not sure what the penalty count was but it was pretty heavy against us and probably cost us any chance of a bonus point.

But conceded 36 points again unanswered for a second week.

Dont know what you people watch some games Tebby was a little rusty but didnt stop trying and Tonks missed one tackle because he shot out of the line too quick. These are the players that should be built around. Young Spires cannot get a game due to SL cast offs .

Reading post match posts on this thread gives plenty food for thought. Firstly although I don't know you personally Ossy I hope you have a change of heart. If you have watched Dewsbury for as long as you say, you have watched some seriously dire performances over the years.We are well seasoned in the art of having our hopes built up only to be brought back down to earth with a bump on far too many occasions for all our wishes.

Dewsburys performance today was on a par with that of the referee (I'll leave it at that). Leigh were at best average and that is not meant as disrespectful but they didn't have to break many pots to beat us by 30 points away from home. It seems to me that without the likes of Donaldson & O'Brien on DR in our team we are very ordinary and likely to be embroiled in the dreaded relegation battle once again.

Our kicking game was awful, the schoolboy errors were back (poor completion, kicking out on the full, soft tries from dummy half etc etc etc)

Karl Pryce for the umpteenth week running looks like he would rather be anywhere on earth rather than on a rugby pitch playing for Dewsbury. For gods sake RL disciplinary committee ban him for a good few weeks (because Morro will never drop him) and give Callan Becket a chance.

Keighley will turn up next week fired up from their first win of the season and if we don't improve 100% we will become their second victim and seriously in the brown stuff yet again. That said I will be on the terraces giving my all and I hope that you all will be too and that includes you too Ossy.

Callan Becket has more bravery and commitment in his big toe than that overpaid , lazy , sloth of a so called man. This is the same man who two years ago was looking ordinary playing against under 20 kids . How on earth he is commanding a starting place in this league is beyond me !!!!

It's like I said on an earlier post about Karl Pryce he is the laziest player I have seen in a Dewsbury strip if he is to get more involved in the game put him on the other side of the pitch the ball goes that side more often than not or failing that put him in the second row where he can't hide a kid his size should be running the show

From what I have seen he doesn't want to get involved. If the ball comes his way he will reluctantly take it up but never goes looking for it. Morro needs to put some trust in the lads HE signed in the first place and show us the expansive style of play he promised pre season.

I know the grounds are heavy at present but other teams seem to be able to throw the ball about and not just rely on forward drives and a relieving kick (usually straight down the fullbacks throat)

We are a young inexperienced team put together on a budget, Leigh are a bunch of seasoned professionals compiled at great expense and it showed today.

We really lack leadership and when we go behind heads go down and we struggle. If Spicer is captain he needs to be more vocal. Completion rate was very poor and Leigh just got a stranglehold in the second half. Kicking game was poor, we let them play the ball far quicker than they allowed us.

Either Leigh were moving up far quicker than us or they were infringing at the play the ball. It was probably a bit of both. That combined with their slowing of the play the ball made it really hard for our forwards to make any ground. Neither Tebb nor Tonks did much to stake a claim for a regular spot.

And the referee. Um, Being a junior rugby ref, I know how hard it is to referee, but thought he was poor today. He should have clamped down more on the laying on and interference at the play the ball and binned someone. Completely missed the swinging arm from Parker which started the fight, at times it looked like he was overly influenced by the Leigh team. Leigh played the ref very well and he looked out of his depth. Not sure what the penalty count was but it was pretty heavy against us and probably cost us any chance of a bonus point.

But conceded 36 points again unanswered for a second week.

Totally disagree - Tebby didn't do anything wrong came on pitch and tried , the lads only played twenty minutes since the friendlies needs more game time and to be played regular instead of dual reg hookers from Bradford

Tonks came on and had a great game probably best defender we,ve got and always gives 100% and in my opinion a better second rower than Walshaw who like Pryce doesn't always look interested

Going back to Pryce , we,ve sent a better young player out on loan to Keighley who at least wanted to be at Dewsbury (Cosgrove)

We keep playing Gallagher who,s only fit for ten minutes each half .

Glenn needs to go back to the team that looked so impressive in the friendlies

I agree with Swanna - Don,t know what some people watch

Keep a sense of perspective people.

Very young side,started well with some good results,but it didn't,t make us champions overnight.

These results are going to happen,have to keep faith with the coach and players for now.

Certainly defence is a concern and hope Glen knows how to rectify that.

Comparing other teams budgets will not get us a single point,worrying about other teams playing rosters will not gain us a single point.

We have to earn our way and that means hard work from the coach and players and support from the fans.

Gripes and singling individuals out after just a handful of games and especially after last season,is not helpful.All need to stick together.

A sense of perspective is certainly necessary but there is one worrying trend and this was pointed out before the start of the season - we do not have a leader on the field. Rob is a top bloke and leads by example but he isn't the sort to get the players together behind the posts and give them a wake up call. Watch the video from last week's game at Barrow - after conceding a try the players wandered back behind the posts in ones and twos with no sign of team cohesion or leadership. This was brought into focus even more for me during the Swinton match where, at one point, our assistant coach was on the pitch for quite some time whilst we were defending organising the defensive line. Not only is this against the laws of the game but demonstrates a complete lack of confidence in allowing the players to organise themselves.

Without wishing to wander too far off track I believe that this is symptomatic of the game as a whole nowadays, in that it is over-coached. No longer will a coach devise a general gameplan and allow the players to see it through, with some leeway for them to read developments themselves on the pitch. Nowadays he seems to find it necessary to make every single decision for those players during the course of a match. Without allowing individual iinitiative to flourish then the natural leaders will simply be repressed.

Let's see what next week brings but if the same team is selected there will be questions asked I'm sure.

Yes, we were poor and matched the referee in that department. Our kicking game was poor, either straight into the full back's hands, or straight into touch. There is no flair when on attack because there is nobody with leadership qualities, yet the try we scored was excellent. Then it all wnt down the pan. Leigh, as everyone points out, were average, but we made them look better than they are.

The referee, Matt Thomason, lost the plot I think. The Leigh team told him what they wanted and did as he was bid. Others have pointed out what he didn't do for us, but one is missing; near the end he awarded Leigh a penalty (yes another one) and signalled to the touch judges that a kick at goal was to be attempted. Leigh promptly kicked to touch and, I think, went on to score a try. Did he allow them to change their decision or was he confused?

Ossy, if you are reading this, come back; think of your children here, well BSJ anyway! We need you.

How's this for a radical theory. Perhaps its not the ref or players its the fans? Do we find defeat so hard to take these days that it is always someones fault?

Ossy

Sorry to hear that ossy. Like you, I left before the end, simply because it was obvious nothing was going to happen for us and I figured I might as well lift my personal gloom with a pint and a warm up in my local - plus I'd gotten a bit tired of the foul mouthed abuse being directed at the officials from somewhere behind me.. This is far from the worst side we have ever had though, and to be fair we endured six seasons of the same kind of disappointment under previous and better funded coaches than GM, so I'm happy to let things ride for awhile yet. Agree with the posters about the lack of leadership, inability to defend the line and the poor kicking game we have, but hopefully this will be sorted. Don't give up on the team yet ossy.

Yes, we were poor and matched the referee in that department. Our kicking game was poor, either straight into the full back's hands, or straight into touch. There is no flair when on attack because there is nobody with leadership qualities, yet the try we scored was excellent. Then it all wnt down the pan. Leigh, as everyone points out, were average, but we made them look better than they are.

The referee, Matt Thomason, lost the plot I think. The Leigh team told him what they wanted and did as he was bid. Others have pointed out what he didn't do for us, but one is missing; near the end he awarded Leigh a penalty (yes another one) and signalled to the touch judges that a kick at goal was to be attempted. Leigh promptly kicked to touch and, I think, went on to score a try. Did he allow them to change their decision or was he confused?

Ossy, if you are reading this, come back; think of your children here, well BSJ anyway! We need you.

Leigh telling the ref what they wanted and the ref did as he was told ? Come on get a grip. Get a DVD and watch the game again or better still show it to a neutral and get ther opinion. Your team lost because they did not play as well as Leigh did on the day