Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castleford Hawk

Greatest Props

43 posts in this topic

To the credit of the lads who have worn the number 9 jersey there were a few in contention but Pachniuk gets the nod.

The team so far...

1 Kemble

2 Muscroft

3 Tate

4 Irwin

5. Plange

6. Mannson

7. King

9. Pachniuk

13 Wolford

Next up - the prop forwards. Certainly in the days of "real" scrumaging the openside and blindside props were different types of players, probably not as significant these days but it is still worth naming your 8 and 10.

I'm undecided on 8 as yet but will go the George Standige at 10 for the reasons stated by the Mascot in an earlier post - not the biggest but hard as nails - stuff of legend.

(If anyone can elaborate on the Sammy Lloyd incident it would be appreciated).

Lynsey Procter, Kelvin Skerett, Andy Bateman, Peter Brown and dont anyone mention Bungalow Mason on this thread.

8 Andy Sykes 10 Andy Bateman Kelvin Skerret in Second Row

Mentions to Neil Lean Mark Burgess Steve Raybould Mark Wood Andy Marson Paul Morgan Andy Precious Sam Windmill and KEITH MASON

Steve Pryce

think keith mason has to be mentioned just for the number of tackles he did in a game.seem to remember him doing 46 against warrington away and sorted les boyd out that day too.standige was brill.remember at the old greyhound stadium as a kid when one of the oppostion was getting dirty if george was on the bench the whole ground would chant we want george we want george.lol.

think my choice has to be stevo as 1 prop and kelvin skerrett as the other although i was close to chosing david gillespie (cement) as he was class but only played 1 season.

Mick Coyle , Stevo , Kelvin Skerret , Craig Ibbotson , Neil lowe , craig Booth , Andy Shickell , I've given all these a mention but probally the first 3 would make my choice.............

Not many Hunslet props were good enough to play for us for years and then be transferred on to St Helens so Andy Bateman is a must. Also he was a key part of our promotion to division 1 playing with Andy Sykes#

I think we got a good fee for Bateman as well - KOL?

Bateman & Psycho for me too.

In cheek tongue, comes to mind.

I was saving Gillespie for second row which i beleive he was. Penola , we got 65k for Bateman should have been a world beater but he had the job that micky out of The League Of Gentleman wanted..................fireman!

I was saving Gillespie for second row which i beleive he was. Penola , we got 65k for Bateman should have been a world beater but he had the job that micky out of The League Of Gentleman wanted..................fireman!

:lol: :lol: Dole-####,Dole-####,Dole-#### , :lol: :lol:

8. Andy Sykes

10. Steve Pryce

Skerrett & Bateman well worthy too... Richie Hayes must be worth a mention??!! Nowhere near best ever standard but I always liked watching Richard Pell play, good old school ball handling prop... Craig Ibbetson yet another who could have gone onto bigger better things bar injury deserves a mention too.

gillespie played prop king as far as i remember.i also remember beefy england saying how he was gonna put gillespie on his ######.first time gillespie hit him he went off with help.was great

If cement was a prop then its a no brainer , i still think he was a 2nd rower though.Dosent anyone remember a huge wild beast from New Zealand called Lynsey Proctor, i saw him pick Bernard Watson up hold him in front of the HKR fans at Craven Park and dump him into the ground from a great height.The fans went mad and he got sent off , pity we only had him for one season.

To confirm Cement was a prop.

£65k over 23 years ago! Bosman is the reason smaller clubs no longer have any money. Did we get cash for Skerret, Nickle, Lowes, Wilson and Irvine in those days?

:lol: :lol: Dole-####,Dole-####,Dole-#### , :lol: :lol:

"Do I look like Deidre Rashid?" "Well yes Pauline"

Has to be Bateman and Cement then. One player who carried us through to promotion and the premiership final and made us good money and the other an Aussie test forward. As loyal a servant as Steve Pryce was, he isn't in the same class