Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castleford Hawk

Greatest Props

43 posts in this topic

Been saying that about Bosman for years Penola, hes killed Sport for the smaller clubs its ruined Football, Rugby League and Union.Any team that develops any decent player gets them taken away for nothing now, its a no win situation.

Not sure if he was an out and out prop , a 2nd row or even a loose forward but on his day he was brilliant, the clues are he wasnt the fittest, he retired far too early, destroyed SL Huddersfield in the Cup and could offload for fun, how i wish we had him at Halifax on Sunday when not one forward could open them up. I think he even turned out in the Pennine league for one game the other week and i believe he does a bit of coaching and may even read this forum! I remember once we were getting beat at home about 20 nil by worky, roy sampson brings him on, he scores about 3 tries and makes another 3 in about 25 mins to destroy worky.Roy probably dropped him next week because he knocked training....you should all know who im talking about.

Not sure if he was an out and out prop , a 2nd row or even a loose forward but on his day he was brilliant, the clues are he wasnt the fittest, he retired far too early, destroyed SL Huddersfield in the Cup and could offload for fun, how i wish we had him at Halifax on Sunday when not one forward could open them up. I think he even turned out in the Pennine league for one game the other week and i believe he does a bit of coaching and may even read this forum! I remember once we were getting beat at home about 20 nil by worky, roy sampson brings him on, he scores about 3 tries and makes another 3 in about 25 mins to destroy worky.Roy probably dropped him next week because he knocked training....you should all know who im talking about.

Danny Dobson?

To confirm Cement was a prop.

Did he play majority 2nd row when he was with us though? I seem to remember him wearing no11 for us??!!

King I think you've misread the Topic!!

Nearly all Gillespie's games for us were second row; he only turned out twice with No 10 on his back.

We must have had a fair few injuries among the props in 87/88; over the course of the season we used Keith Mason, Andy Bateman, Andy Sykes, Andy Marson, Mark Wood, Mick Allan, Paul Morgan, Gillespie and even Chris Bowden.

Going back to Lindsay Proctor, an even more costly sending-off was in a league match at Wakefield Trinity, when he went for tripping in the early stages. Despite playing nearly all the game with twelve men, we lost 8-7. It was two points for a win in those days, and at the end of the season we were relegated ... three points behind Wakefield ...

Nearly all Gillespie's games for us were second row; he only turned out twice with No 10 on his back.

Cheers Windbag, I was only a young whipper snapper at the time but shows the old memories not going just yet !! !!

Danny Fearon.

As i thought so when the 2nd row topic starts, cement will be 1st on the list.

Steve Pryce has to be in for me, always consistent for the club and gave his all for over several years. The man is a legend.

Bateman & Pryce props

Gillespie & Rob Wilson second row simples!

Peter smith is going to publish this team in the YEP and do an article on it.

Dave Gillespie or Cement played nearly all his games Second row for us not prop , maybe one game.

Great player but a Second row forward, as his position, I think he played for Australia not prop.

For me then Andy Bateman & Peter Brown,the New Zealand test prop. Have to give a mention to The fearless Keith Mason who let everyone know he was on the pitch , even Les Boyd of Warrington, as was said in an earlier post. Steve Price lacked their size , still a great player though always put 100 % in his games for us.

I make no apologies for the must inclusion of Andy Bateman Sonny Nickle, Kelvin Skerret and James Lowes in this team. They went on to play top flight for years after spending a fair bit of time with Huns. All except Bateman were also Great Britain players - surely enough said! The pack must surely consist of Bateman, Pachniuk, Skerrett, Nickle, Cement, Wolford with Lowes and Alan Platt as subs. Who could argue with that?

In my opinion the others mentioned would not displace these forwards

Herbie Moore, Paul Carr and Michael Jackson would come close though. Coyley? Chris "Billy" Bowden was number 15 for years!

Dave Gillespie or Cement played nearly all his games Second row for us not prop , maybe one game.

Great player but a Second row forward, as his position, I think he played for Australia not prop.

For me then Andy Bateman & Peter Brown,the New Zealand test prop. Have to give a mention to The fearless Keith Mason who let everyone know he was on the pitch , even Les Boyd of Warrington, as was said in an earlier post. Steve Price lacked their size , still a great player though always put 100 % in his games for us.

Peter Brown good shout. Good kicker as well

Gillespie was definitely second row and Bateman couldn't tackle!

agreed about his tackling but boy he could blast his way through off an Alan Platt short ball and had some pace for a prop.Whats your opinion on Lynsey Proctor and Peter Brown Gabby?

agreed about his tackling but boy he could blast his way through off an Alan Platt short ball and had some pace for a prop.Whats your opinion on Lynsey Proctor and Peter Brown Gabby?

Proctor is my first choice prop and Brown I thought got better after he left us. Pobably we coached him well. Good player, I remember one pass at Halifax about half width of pitch which put the winger over for a try

The 2 props Cliff went for were 8 Kelvin Skerrett and 10 Mick Coyle...........