Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thundergaz

Best stand offs

26 posts in this topic

With just less than a week to go to our next match I just thought I'd ask who you think was Fevs best ever stand off? I can't go back as far as a lot of you guys but from the stand offs I've seen I would say its between steadman and pee wee for me.

With just less than a week to go to our next match I just thought I'd ask who you think was Fevs best ever stand off? I can't go back as far as a lot of you guys but from the stand offs I've seen I would say its between steadman and pee wee for me.

joe mullaney-next

Agree old rover also best pair of half backs with don fox

Agreed OR.

I ran a poll on here a few years back about Rovers Best Player in each position. Forum vets many remember it. It was an interesting thing, but of course biased towards modern players as many folk just simply wouldn't know/remember players from previous generations.

These were the results of stand-off:

STAND-OFF

Joe Mullaney [ 12 ]

Ivor Lingard [ 3 ]

Mel Mason [ 1 ]

John Newlove [ 16 ]

Alan Banks [ 0 ]

Graham Steadman [ 19 ]

Martin Pearson [ 6 ]

Total Votes: 57

I was brought up on John Newlove and Mel Mason outside Steve Nash and then Phil Butler. Spoilt.....wasn't I?

John Newlove for me then Steadman. Steve Evans wasn't a bad stand off by the way.

Going right back

1. Ray Cording

2. John Newlove

3. Joe Mullaney

Often a stand off was only as good as his scrum half. Also Cording started as a winger and could side step of either foot and was very fast. Haveing Evans as his half back partner helped

John Newlove one of the most underrated players i've seen. Joes equal in all but pace. Steady, brilliant in attack but Joe has him well beaten on defence. so for me it has to be my boyhood hero,Joe

Of the ones I got to see, it has to be Steadman, although I can't quite forgive him for turning to the dark side.

Doesn't Andy Kain get a mention, I know we're in the second tier so probably doesn't count but can't fault his attack or defence.

I remember Steadman scoring a few tries fed by Deryck Fox that was fun to watch but today's players are athletes so very hard to compare with other generations and compete with our memories and emotions of watching our past heroes.

I absolutely loved Ivor (Lightning) Lingard, who was more highly rated than Carl Dooler at the time. I often wonder if he would have been better than Hardisty if He'd stayed in this country, but his period at Rovers was all too short and sweet.

signed for Paramatta i seem to recall.

I absolutely loved Ivor (Lightning) Lingard, who was more highly rated than Carl Dooler at the time. I often wonder if he would have been better than Hardisty if He'd stayed in this country, but his period at Rovers was all too short and sweet.

i keep forgetting about Ivor because his fev career was short, but i agree, brilliant player

signed for Paramatta i seem to recall.

Yes. He was a great success there, and later coached at the club, but not first grade.

Doesn't Andy Kain get a mention, I know we're in the second tier so probably doesn't count but can't fault his attack or defence.

I remember Steadman scoring a few tries fed by Deryck Fox that was fun to watch but today's players are athletes so very hard to compare with other generations and compete with our memories and emotions of watching our past heroes.

The poll was held in about 2006 IIRC. Pre-Kainy days them.........

As much as I hate to say it there wasn't a finer athlete than Graham Steadman, in any era. In a sprinting competition, he was second only to Martin Offiah.

As much as I hate to say it there wasn't a finer athlete than Graham Steadman, in any era. In a sprinting competition, he was second only to Martin Offiah.

that's right Andrew, but he couldn't tackle to save his life. then he went on to be defensive coach for ireland and scotland in rugby union. what was that all about.

that's right Andrew, but he couldn't tackle to save his life. then he went on to be defensive coach for ireland and scotland in rugby union. what was that all about.

Didn't he also play a few games at FB for c@s OR? So someone must of thought he could tackle but yeah I agree with you OR he was poor defensively but by heck did he make up for it with his attacking skills. He was a great player but after he went to the dark side he became a good player

On the subject of John Newlove I came across him hiking in Brockadale woods. I greated him and he said 'Thank God, somebody remembers me'. Attends matches and see him quite regularly when selling GG tickets. He had the best body swerve I has ever seen on any player. A superb player who was underrated as OR said.

Didn't he also play a few games at FB for c@s OR? So someone must of thought he could tackle but yeah I agree with you OR he was poor defensively but by heck did he make up for it with his attacking skills. He was a great player but after he went to the dark side he became a good player

Daryl van de Velde converted Graham Steadman to Full Back. This was serendipity for Graham, as he would not have broke into the GB team at stand off, as he would have had to usurp the likes of, Edwards, Schofield, Powell, Davies and Arkwright. With the demise of Steve Hamson he found an international niche at FB, this was highlighted in a superb performance by Steady in the second test v Australia on the 92 tour, where he scored a magnificent, opportunist try from Full Back.

Daryl van de Velde converted Graham Steadman to Full Back. This was serendipity for Graham, as he would not have broke into the GB team at stand off, as he would have had to usurp the likes of, Edwards, Schofield, Powell, Davies and Arkwright. With the demise of Steve Hamson he found an international niche at FB, this was highlighted in a superb performance by Steady in the second test v Australia on the 92 tour, where he scored a magnificent, opportunist try from Full Back.

With hinsight, this was his natural postion. York stuck him at stand-off as he was their only attacking force. Once he came to Fev, coaches really should have seen that his strength was speed and devastating open field running, not distribution and organisation. Peter Fox moved him to full-back at the start of 1987/88 for a couple of games but Steady dropped the odd bomb and Foxy bottled it and moved him back to s/o.

is that when we beat em 33-10 at melbourne